Germ theory denialism on the rise

Count yourself lucky. I know more than one person that has contracted giardia from surface water sources.

2 Likes

Random factoid: if you have to drink untreated water in the wild, you’re better off taking water from the top of a pond than from a stream even though the stream is likely to look cleaner and more inviting – thanks to solar UV. Or so I’ve read.

Giardia in mountain streams in the Rockies is definitely an issue.

1 Like

I don’t make it a particular habit and I’m not advocating that everyone refuse to drink tap water and instead go spend $20-60 a gallon on “ raw water” or even just going out and drinking out of a river. 99.999% of water I drink nowdays is outfield water out of a machine. I don’t like tap water regardless if it’s psychological or if it’s bad tasting or a combination of both. I drink about 1 1/2 gallons of water a day and about 1 1/4 of it is plain purified water and the other 1/4 is mineral water or sparkling water. I no longer go on 250 mile hikes or camp for a month. So it’s easy for me to bring the water I need now. There are also tablets that you can bring and filtering water bottles.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

“Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” -Colossians 4:6

This is a place for gracious dialogue about science and faith. Please read our FAQ/Guidelines before posting.