Geological megasequences: data pointing to 500+ million years of evolution? Or to the year-long biblical Flood?

Or maybe it was going so fast that it’s taking this long for it to slow to a stop lol. Jk.

Thanks for bringing Oard’s books to our attention.

However, I was not saying that the receding phase of the Flood–a marine water regression–begins with tsunamis; rather, a series of tsunamis or tidal waves began each transgression.

But if you will notice Sloss’ diagram, it does portray the receding phase of the Flood in the Tejas megasequence.

You misunderstand. I didn’t say that Sloss believed in a biblical Flood. In fact, I’m confident that he did not, but instead viewed his data purely from a uniformitarian perspective. However, other geologists, like Tim Clarey, see the data as supporting the biblical Flood. And I do, too.

The data portrayed in the Sloss diagram shows the North American continent (by the way, the right side of the diagram is the East coast and the left side is the West coast), as it is subjected to higher and higher sea levels, and increasing amounts of sediment deposits–climaxing in the Zuni megasequence (the Cretaceous). And then, in the final megasequence, the Tejas, it portrays the quickly receding waters.

You say this does not account for Gondwana–which, of course, included both South America and Africa. Yet, extensive work with boreholes and seismic testing has revealed that these countries are covered with the same basic megasequence series Sloss and other geologists have found in North America.

And the continental drift is accounted for with this data–with both uniformitarians and year-long-Flood geologists saying it began near the Absaroka/Zuni megasequences.

Great animations here–thanks! However, they do not address, one way or another, eustatic sea level changes and sediment coverage–which is to say, the earth’s being covered by water.

How about this?

The Defeat of Flood Geology by Flood Geology

(And you had no comment on the 11 second Kaibab uplift video, I noticed.)

I recognize that before Creation week, the earth was covered by water (Genesis 1:2)–before land animals, or any other animals, existed.

But then, God created animals…and humans. And, this was all during the time of Pangea (when “the waters below the heavens were gathered in one place,” Genesis 1:9–just one big ocean…and one big “continent”).

Then, the Flood of Genesis 6-9 changed the world forever (Peter says “the old world was destroyed” by the Flood, 2 Peter 3:6). The “floodgates of the sky” were opened up, and the “fountains of the great deep burst open,” Genesis 7:11, setting off plate tectonics like never seen before–or after! Water dumped from the sky, mega-tsunamis plastered and covered the Pangea super-continent with water and massive amounts of ocean sediment; and in the course of that Flood year, plate tectonics saw the splitting up of Pangea and migration of the Pangea continents–including plate collisions that saw the rise of the Cordilleran, the Appalachians, the Himalayas, and other mountain ranges–as well as the Ring Of Fire volcanoes.

So, I place the uplift you spoke of, and the worldwide flooding, during the one-year Flood described in Genesis 6-9. I see no evidence of, nor need for, the hundreds of millions of years proposed by the uniformitarian model.

Greetings @donpartain . Have you read of the successive worm tunnels in sediment? Glenn Morton wrote well about how rapid sedimentation does not work with that. Thanks.

3 Likes

One would expect glaciation-driven sea level changes to be global, if I am not mistaken. What is truly a dreadful mistake is to assert that a sea level rise of 800 feet would inundate mountains over a mile high.

Best,
Chris

1 Like

However, only the consensus (what you insist on calling uniformitarian) geologists have done the math to create a plausible model, as far as I can tell. You could of course present the YEC math if it actually exists.

Best,
Chris

1 Like

Here is the issue and here is the core of the problem. You’re selecting a few verses and then ignoring others and trying to make things line up.

So you read about how before the creation week the world was all water. Well remember that was before the sun. That was before the stars. How was it water if a universe was not even created? How did it not freeze?

Then you take something all water called to one place and call it Pangea meaning all life would have already been created and on Pangea. Well that is problematic because the fossil record does not match that. We can follow morphological differences leading up to speciation by backtracking on divergent traits from basal traits.

“He gathers the waters of the sea together as a heap…He spoke, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood forth.” Psalm 33:7-9.

Your questions reveal your efforts to make Genesis 1 a week of natural processes. But it was nothing even close to being this. Rather, it was supernatural processes at work, creating the earth, the water, the light, the luminaries, and then all life forms. “He spoke–and it was done!” This is why you don’t have to worry about the water freezing up at this time, before the luminaries were created.

Certainly, God, immediately afterwards, put into effect natural law–natural processes–by which the universe would operate. And so, we could say that God works through these processes as well.

However, throughout Scripture, there were specific times and occasions when God suspended natural law, and worked supernaturally instead, in order to make a strong statement as to not only His existence but also His supreme power and majesty. Genesis 1 was one of these occasions. Exodus 3, when the angel of the Lord appeared to Moses in a burning, yet never consumed, bush…was still another such occasion. Exodus 19, just before God gave the 10 Commandments, was still another such occasion–when the supernatural workings of God–including His voice–were so striking, so awesome, that even Moses trembled. Are you really going to deny these accounts trying to argue that burning bushes don’t naturally go on burning, but must burn up??

You won’t with a white stick.

1 Like

How don’t they?

They simply illustrate the breaking up of Pangea. They do not address eustatic sea level or sediment coverage.

“It’s very human to misunderstand some things. But you seem to be layering misunderstanding upon misunderstanding in the course of this discussion.”

What she said was that epeiric (proposed ancient mainland seas) covered the entire craton, or continent, when nothing but white or yellow spanned the diagram–as during the approximately 18 million year period during the Zuni.

Uhh…the blue regions show the sea level. The land regions are high and dry. The Earth has never, at any time where there has been terrestrial life, been anywhere near completely submerged.

What about it? If you notice, all manner of areas of land and sea repeatedly become sea and land. It’s a child simple process with no magic. No deception. Lies.

“I have misunderstood nothing. I cited the USGS, which attributes these transgressions/regressions to glaciation cycles. And glaciation cycles are well understood geophysical phenomena. I quote:”

Yes, I understand this claim, but it’s in keeping with their claim that Pangea–six times! (in keeping with the six megasequences) migrated over the poles, then back off again. More specifically, when Pangea would migrate over the poles, glaciation (and accompanying regression) would occur. Then, when Pangea would migrate back off the poles, the glaciers would melt setting off a transgression. But where is their scientific evidence for such wandering around of Pangea?

Besides that, even if the six sea level rises they propose actually occurred, they would only cause (and this uniformitarian model admits this) slowly, slowly rising ocean levels–one source saying it would be at the rate of .05 inch per week! Do you really think that such “dynamics” were capable of scooping up, transporting, then spreading the 3 million cubic kilometers of mostly marine (ocean) sediment upon North America that is found in the Sauk megasequence alone (by the way, a total of about 53 million cubic kilometers of mostly ocean sediment covers the continent)?

About the rainfall and groundwater…sorry for the mix-up on this; I was replying to a comment by another writer.

More like ~4 billion for entirely water, if ever, given craton ages.

Consider this article on more recent studies on continental drift:

Scientists are realizing that the splitting up of the continents heated up the mantle more than previously realized–and with such heating up, the subducted plates “pulling” the continents moved at a faster rate. In fact, this article illustrated the difference between the current rate of continental movement as opposed to the rate during this split as the same difference in speed between a pedestrian walking and a speeding BMW.

But, at a deeper level, this finding also exemplifies the problem of trying to project today’s rates onto the past–just assuming they are the same (the heart of uniformitarianism).