Francis Collins & Deb Liu | Live from Silicon Valley

Deb Liu, the CEO of Ancestry, and Francis Collins, the previous director of the NIH and leader of the Human Genome project, delve into the fascinating world of genetic science, exploring its implications on our understanding of human identity, ancestry and health. Throughout the conversation they also share stories and reflections on how their Christian faith motivates their work and sheds light on the ethical and moral considerations that arise when navigating the complex world of genetic research and its applications.

Hillary note: This was a GREAT conversation and I hope you enjoy it.

5 Likes

I hit the road tomorrow to visit grandkids, so hope to listen to it then. Looks great!

2 Likes

When I try this the audio disappears around 5:20. And jumping forward gives me nothing.

Had no problems listening, and enjoyed the interviews. Good discussion of privacy concerns and commercial use of genetic data. It was interesting to consider how commercial use actually makes advances more affordable and available to the masses.

1 Like

Oh no! Can you tell me what you’re listening on?

PC But the problem must have been temporary. I have no problem now.

2 Likes

Somehow, I never listened to this one. Never saw it. But will check it out tomorrow probably. It’s going to be a long week at work lol. 3am-330pm M-F and during the 10 hour work period excluding breaks and lunches, they want us to move and stack off the conveyors 16 pieces a minute and they weigh 10lbs. So doing double gripped front raises 9,600 or so times will be challenging if it’s even possible but that’s at 100% proficiency and they stated we just need to stay above 60%. Never done it with that weight before and so no idea what will happen. But if it will be a fine time to zone out to podcasts as I become a living robot lol.

That sounds like when I worked at a grocery that had an annual canned goods sale for a week and we had to fill orders bang-bang-bang. We weighed a bunch of the boxes of canned stuff and estimated we were each moving a couple dozen tons before lunch and again after.
Unfortunately we didn’t have the tech for listening to things and probably couldn’t have anyway given that the boxes came in over a dozen different sizes and shapes and as many weights.

2 Likes

Mine is press operations like tools and die setting and going over product blueprints. The material and product changes usually 1-2 times a day. Sometimes I’m in the mill. Those machines will often be going as fast as 33 pieces a minute. Pause to shove pallets or tables out of the way and set new coils.

2 Likes