Florida's Anti-Maskers Are Taking a Stand

I don’t wear a mask for the same reason I don’t wear underwear: Things gotta breathe.

— Anti-maskers in Florida are warning of satanism, pedophilia, and even death if public health policies are enforced

Florida’s Anti-Maskers Are Taking a Stand

Meanwhile, cases in Florida are surging.

You can’t top the dude in Scottsdale AZ (city councilor and–this will shock you–middle aged white man) who put on a viral performance at an anti-masking rally. Google it. Not sure which church he goes to.

1 Like

The city enforced the wearing of masks during the 1918 pandemic, but some residents were dismissive, wearing them improperly out of apathy or to smoke, leading to hundreds of arrests and even a shooting. And some heartily fought back against the enforcement, believing that the masks were unsanitary, useless, and a threat to their constitutional rights.

That was incredibly stupid of him. Makes you wonder about elected officials, but as Mark Twain reported said about fools, better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
On a physician site, someone reported that someone has printed up a fake ADA certificate saying that due to their disability they are exempt from wearing a mask.The satirical response was producing an identical fake certificate only replacing “mask” with “pants” claiming exemption from wearing pants, so maybe it is the same ones needing to “breathe.”

4 Likes

Not the first time he faced a backlash this pandemic:

A fun fact is that he wrote a book called of courage and character: Amazon.com

1 Like

I call it evil, and this clown has a history of cruelty and dishonesty, but whatever.

1 Like

I realize that half the population is always going to be of below-average intelligence, but man, some people really seem to work at it.

1 Like

Yeah, but stupid evil. Smart evil would not have made that comment.

2 Likes

You mean Guy Phillips?

1 Like

These nut jobs are dangerous. Comical, but dangerous.

1 Like

Whatever kind of “intelligence” we’re talking about here, I’m not so sure it’s normally distributed.

1 Like

It seems to me that people just don’t have much regard for expertise anymore. Everyone is a stable genius with judgement so good that facts become optional. Scary times to be going through a pandemic.

2 Likes

Indeed it is scary! Too many people think “doing their own research” is just as valid as expert opinions.

2 Likes

As the well circulated (and rather sardonic) meme said:

The spread of coronavirus is directly proportional to two things:

1. How dense the population is
  2. How dense the population is

And if you can’t tell the difference your part of the second one.

I love my evangelical brothers and sisters very much but if you throw your weight behind a sustained program of anti-intellectualism, humean skepticism, and conspiracy theorising that particularly seeks to vilify scientists, What’s going to happen? Eventually the bird will come home to roost. When it does one will have a large swath of the population who are not only predisposed to be hostile to the science and open to conspiracy but also lacking in the intellectual skillset to sort fact from fiction. Which appears to me to be, in part, what is taking place in Florida.

Tragic. My heart breaks for the US right now. Praying for you all.

4 Likes

That deserves a place on the humor thread to make sure it gets as wide a viewing as possible. My wife LOL’d right out loud.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.