Finding Meaning In an Evil World

Yeah, actually, you have. The medium is impersonal, or at least incorporeal, but there are quite a few folks in this neighborhood, who get it.

Understood. I never figured out how to turn it off. Fortunately, it’s not usually disruptive, but can make for some dark-feeling times. That’s for sure.

The picture says it all. My mother used to complain all the way. I gave up : )

Reinhard Kiesel, 73, drives seniors from the nursing home through the area in a rickshaw. In #Interview he explains why he does this and what he has to pay attention to. #Ehrenamt
bit.ly/3PhcfVt

Her joy spread to me. I’m learning from you to enjoy every moment, even when I’m older.

:+1:

I have learned how little I know. This foolish psychiatrist offers these few thoughts. Many years ago I was dealing with a case in which as the parents of the young man left my office, I felt terribly dirty. A week or so later, I read an excerpt from M Scott Peck’s book, “People of the Lie: Towards an understanding of human evil” I found that very helpful.

I think evil is very much related to the question of suffering. When I think of this, I think of pain, both physical and emotional. I deal with the latter every day. When I think of physical pain, I remind myself, it is easy to be philosophical when you are not in pain. When the pain is overwhelming you only want it to go away.

Not being in overwhelming pain (emotional or physical) right now may allow me to tell this story. I share it from time to time with my patients who have attempted suicide to escape pain and evil.

There was a young teenager, 17 really, who dove into a lake and broke her neck. She was a Christian and her faith led her to search for a miraculous cure. No healing occurred and as she contemplated suicide she realized no friends would help her do this. Since she was a quadriplegic she could not do the act herself. “Why O Lord- what would you have me to do”. “Do you want me to spend the rest of my life in this bed?” Her prayers were answered as she realized one of her desires in life was to become an artist. I can picture her nurse coming to turn her, as quadriplegics have to be turned from time to time to prevent decubiti ulcers from forming. “I want to be an artist” I imagine her telling her nurse and her nurse’s response, “Honey, you can’t be an artist you’re a quadriplegic” Paper and pencils and a grace that goes beyond comprehension led her to begin to draw.

When my suicidal patients hear this, they can relate. I have a book on my shelf, “Holiness in Hidden Places” it is hidden because I can lose my job for proselytyzing (which I guess is what I’m doing here). I show them her artwork. Usually their eyes widen and as I take them through the book, they begin to understand the question of evil a little more.

I explain that is the beginning of the story. At her church, she was asked to speak, for despite being the victim of terrible evil, her joy radiated. She was invited to speak on the radio, then offered a radio show of her own. She realized that people were not as fortunate as she was- she could afford a wheelchair and so she started a ministry, “Wheels for the World”.

Years later, she wrote, “When God Weeps” a scriptural analysis of suffering. How can God allow evil in the world. I treated one Pastor’s wife struggling with severe depression and as we went over the scriptures she pointed to one and said “That’s it” for her, understanding of her terrible suffering, of evil, if you will, filled an aching question, which we all ask, but few can get answers.

It is not an accident that the first of the wisdom books in the Bible is the book of Job. I have come to believe this is one of the most important books in the Bible. A pastor, Oswald Chambers who died as a chaplain in WW1 said that the most sublime verse in the Bible was from Job 13, “Though You slay me, yet will I hope in You.”

It is no accident either that the Lord in teaching his disciples to pray ended his lesson with, “Deliver us from evil”

CS Lewis answers this question in a different way. In the Great Divorce he says, “Earth is the marriage of heaven and hell- but someday there will be a great divorce”. Trusting in Jesus and his amazing gift of eternal life boggles my small mind.

I can’t wait to be away from evil. Soon, friend, soon.
Sincerely,
Frank

2 Likes

I find little relatability on the matter.I dont suffer from depression(not anymore at least) i suffer from not having a meaning.And not having a meaning makes me anxious or something.I cant have my whole lifes meaning in something that i cant objectively know if its true . Sure i can try be a Christian and have my meaning around God and living as perfectly as possible but if any of this isnt true then all i did was for nothing.My meaning didnt exist in the first place.But from the other God not existing is pretty depressing since it gives me a meaning without it beign my meaning(dont know if i am understood here).As for this

Amen i guess

That is very reminiscent of Joni Eareckson-Tada’s story. She was suicidal too, but has been instrumental in changing innumerable lives since.

I’m not sure why God doesn’t make it more obvious. I was listening to a Philip Yancey program and he talked about how Jesus, though working miracles, found it of little value in increasing faith in many.
Yancey said it brings out the thrill-seekers and gawkers, not those interested in the truth.

There are also contrary people who just love to argue. They would do well as lawyers, but most of us should avoid them, in my opinion. I had a medical student whose Dean I was and I wrote his Dean’s letter for his residency. He had a PhD in Physical Chemistry, worked with a Nobel laureate at Berkley and his special area of study was water. In studying the angle of the H20 bonds, he came to believe in God. It just looked so designed to him and all the properties of water would not work if the angle was even a little different, life wouldn’t exist.

Having two doctorates means he is a little smart and I only got a C in P Chem in college- I have tremendous respect for him. There are many instances of this in nature for those who have eyes to see.

But it is not in the hard sciences that we come to find our Lord, it is through faith. Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1. I took a leap of faith when I tested out Serendipity after I read the Road Less Traveled. Uncertainty and doubt comes from the devil, the master of inserting doubt. We walk by faith and not by sight (2 Corinthians 5:7-8. Trust in the Lord with All Your heart and lean not on your own understanding Proverbs 3:5.

These are not trite sayings, they are God’s communication to help us poor sinners find the way.

If you want a great preacher, start reading Spurgeon. Morning and Evening is a good daily devotional. I needed a good guide 20 or so years ago and have read all of Spurgeon’s sermons from 1855 and am currently in 1866. You will find many of your questions answered. Read his sermon, The Importance of Sound Doctrine. Next a good study Bible is in order. The Life Application bible was the first Bible I read cover to cover. I have been reading a chapter a day ever since. It’s God’s book. These two things and a good church (not easy to find) are the legs on which a growing faith can stand.

You are in my prayers Nick.

1 Like

It is her story:)

1 Like

I doubt that. Doubt of all claims, like yours, is entirely rational.

It is. Here is an online version, the downside of which is that you cannot highlight or make notations in it:

What I do with my M&E is have it on a word processor on my computer and add commentary from time to time. For example, during the year, Spurgeon may ask the reader about a spiritual report card. Where are we with our prayer life? scripture reading? relationship with the Lord. I do not know about others, but I need encouragement. Remember Barnabas (son of encourager) in the Bible was an important aide for the apostle Paul. Just a thought.

1 Like

My story is more complicated than that . Thats why what you wrote is out of place im afraid.I understand you not beign in potision to empathize with me i get so i wont judge you.What you wrote above its just another evangelical short of preaching to me that i just brush it off. But thanks for contributing

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.