Favourite Bible scholars?

I’d have to say:

1. John Walton (completely transformed how I view genesis).
  2. Michael Heiser (when I discovered him as an atheist, it gave me a new fascination with the Bible)
  3. Pete Enns (becoming an addict of his podcast, as well as Heiser’s)

What do you think?

4 Likes

You are way ahead of me. I only started reading theology in earnest about 1.5 years ago. Before that, I took a correspondence course by FF Bruce in Acts from Moody about 25 years ago!

Favorites so far:

Peter Enns–Inspiration and Incarnation, Sin of Certainty, The Bible Tells Me So, and Evolution of Adam. I also follow his podcast, as do you.

Michael Bird, Australia (especially his writing on inerrancy in Five Views, Counterpoints, with Enns, Mohler, Vanhoozer, and Franke)–good counterpoint/critique of the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy with humor and from a non-American standpoint.

Denis Lamoureux–took his online course PhD in theology, evolutionary biology and doctorate in dentistry)

Randal Rauser, “What’s So Confusing About Grace?”

Matt Bates, Matt Lynch, Erin Heim at Onscript Podcast (http://onscript.study) have introduced me to a lot of different Bible scholars with a weekly interview of various ones (beware of the April 1 one).

Greg Boyd, “Cross Vision”–I don’t completely agree with him, but has terrific insights.

I am learning way more by reading you and others who post here.

4 Likes

Mmmm … Richard Hays. Michael Licona. Paul Meier. NT Wright. James Hoffmeier. Richard Bauckham. Steven Collins.

3 Likes

I think it’s Certainty. Sincerity is still good in Enns’ book. :wink:

2 Likes

Enn’s book is definitely on my reading list.

A collage of my favourite scholars, who read the Bible in it’s ANE context

Seconding NT Wright.

1 Like

Oh, ha. thanks. You’re right. Glad I didn’t go further and say “son of sincerity” or something similar. I edited.

1 Like

Thirding that. There are a lot I like, but he’s at the top with quite a difference before second place.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t put Wright too far ahead of Hays.

1 Like

That’s all well and good, but I would have to read Hays before making that assessment myself…, :smiley:

1 Like

Start out with Reading Backwards.

1 Like

I really want to read that–I’ve downloaded a sample. Thanks.

1 Like

I hate to reveal my ignorance, but I can recognize Benjamin Sommer, Enns, Waltke, Walton, and that’s about all on your collage! Can you let me know what the others are so I can read more? Thanks. Looks like a good bunch.

Most normal people would consider the fact the you can recognize any Bible scholars by photo to be revealing of your nerdiness not your ignorance. You have to remember you are in a bit of a bizarro world here.

5 Likes

I’d like to think of this bizarro world as an intellectual world. I’m 6’3 and enjoy basketball but that doesn’t mean I can’t also enjoy Everett Ferguson’s 600 page mammoth Backgrounds of Early Christianity.

P.S. I bet I would know the names of those guys on that collage, but most of the pictures simply escape me.

1 Like

Pfft…you’re short! I’m 6’4"… :smiley: !

But I don’t play basketball because I’m athletically challenged…

First row: John Walton, Michael Heiser, Pete Enns, Wayne Horowitz, Wilfred Lambert, Daniel Block.

Second Row: Benjamin Sommer, Gregory Beale, Robert Holmstedt, David Tsumura, Bruce Waltke

Third row: Ellen Van Wolde, Paul Seely, Othmar Keel, Amar Annus, Benjamin Stanhope (top), Mitchell Dahood (bottom)

1 Like

Lol I knew if I flexed about that someone taller than me would comment.

2 Likes

First row: John Walton, Michael Heiser, Pete Enns, Wayne Horowitz, Wilfred Lambert, Daniel Block.

Second Row: Benjamin Sommer, Gregory Beale, Robert Holmstedt, David Tsumura, Bruce Waltke

Third row: Ellen Van Wolde, Paul Seely, Othmar Keel, Amar Annus, Benjamin Stanhope (top), Mitchell Dahood (bottom)

Thank you! that will help.