Fascinating video on convergent evolution

From PBS Digital Studios/“It’s okay to be smart” comes this fascinating video on convergent evolution, and the difference between analogous similarities and homologous similarities. Watch Why does this wolf have a pouch?

2 Likes

Wow, glad I watched that video. Natural history and animal behavior were my first obsession that involved the library. The thylacine is a great example of convergent evolution. So sad not to be able to observe one live now.

1 Like

On the subject of convergent evolution, another interesting example:

1 Like

Thanks. I remember reading a very sad article about the great auks and how they were driven to extinction.

Isn’t that the truth? Come to find out, the American Museum of Natural History has a huge collection of marsupial specimens, including thylacines, but these are rarely shown to the public.

My favourite example are flying squirrels/sugar gliders/colugos.

1 Like

Fascinating books on this topic include Improbable Destinies by Jonathan Losos (new) and Life’s Solution (2003) by Simon Conway Morris - who I just learned is a Christian.

1 Like

I read Life’s Solution years ago and enjoyed it. I believe he even suggested that if we encountered alien life forms, they would probably look a lot like us due to convergence.

Or maybe that was Star Trek.

1 Like

Many mammals have (or had) a marsupial counterpart. There are no marine marsupials, though. That’s understandable, because the tiny fetus needs claws to pull itself into the mother’s pouch. And conspicuously absent are marsupial apes.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.