Expository cover-to-cover pastors?

Hi all!
For daily bible study, I love the cover-to-cover approach that some of the Calvary Chapel pastors take, and I’ve gone through Gary Hamrick’s series as well as Chuck Smith’s; they were both very helpful, but both are dedicated to literal interpretation of the English translation/YEC approach. Now I’d like to go through the Bible with a pastor with a different perspective. I like Tim Mackie and am mid-way through his podcasts, but his sermons are more topic-based and jump around…fine for sunday mornings, but they don’t take me through the Bible. Same with the Biologos podcasts -interesting, but not really Bible study.
Any recommendations for expository cover-to-cover podcasts/sermons from teachers who take a ‘Mackiesian’/‘Waltonian’ (LOL) approach to scripture? Thanks!
cheers n’ blessings,
Garrett
btw, a deep thanks again to all the contributors who helped me during my last post! I have been reading Walton and all the resources you suggested.

3 Likes

It’s not a sermon, but have you ever watched the Bible Project videos? They give overviews of books that are based on good scholarship, recognize a range of interpretations when appropriate, and generally do a great job. Now that they offer them in Spanish, we use them in training minority language Bible translators on exegesis.

They have a podcast that goes more in depth for the making of the videos, but I’ve never listened to it. https://thebibleproject.com/podcasts/the-bible-project-podcast/

3 Likes

It is just New Testament, but N. T. Wrights book and video series looks amazing. A lot is pulled from other books of his I understand, but that is a good thing. Once it is out, thinking of maybe approaching our pastor to see if appropriate for a group bible study.

1 Like

Yes having gone to a Calvary Chapel church for many years I remember that. However it doesn’t follow that their explanations of the Bible are any more “literal” let alone more true to the intended meaning of text. More often than not, what it really amounts to is brainwashing the membership into taking the same meaning from the text as the pastor does. Thus it is a poor replacement for simply reading the Bible for oneself.

2 Likes

Hi @Christy ! Thanks for that suggestion. I did watch a number of these videos when I started listening to Mackie’s podcast and found them helpful. They tended to be topical and 30,000-foot views, rather than going verse-by-verse through each book -but very helpful in their own way! I’ll continue to work my way through the rest also (o:

Hi @jpm ,
Thanks so much for that suggestion -I hadn’t heard about it but at your recommendation I watched the intro and plan on buying the series!

Hi @mitchellmckain! My sense is that any and every church tries to teach its congregation and by default that teaching will align with the views of that church’s pastor; though I probably wouldn’t use the term “brainwashing”, I do see what you mean my friend (o: I learned a lot from Calvary sermons and am very thankful, but also thankful for discernment to know when a particular teaching doesn’t sit right with the Spirit in me, and thankful for a wealth of other teachings available to us today to give us a broader perspective on any given topic.
I think what Calvary got right was 1) placing emphasis on actually reading and learning the scriptures (in contrast to current sermon standard of the 20 minute motivational self-help talk punctuated by pop culture references and brief scripture quotes taken out of contrast to support the pastor’s point); and 2) going verse by verse, chapter by chapter so that you don’t miss anything that God wanted us to receive. When we asked the pastor of my last church why we never talked about the gifts of the Spirit in church, his response was that they were too divisive…so he just chose to ignore the entire topic. Yeah.
Anyway, who have you been reading/listening to lately for your personal bible study, @mitchellmckain? Thanks again

1 Like

Of course even that assumes that a start to finish, thorough reading is what was intended. And maybe it was but perhaps chunking it in other ways opens up other understandings that are worth having? @Christy is a text-master. I recommend whatever she recommends. :innocent:

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen, expository preaching doesn’t mean treating the whole Bible as one long text – pastors still pick and choose which individual books to go through (and so it makes sense that books like the gospels will take precedent over Old Testament ceremonial law), but then go through the book thoroughly to help keep each of the verses in context. You’re right that topical studies can open up other understandings, so I think both ways of doing it have their pros and cons.

4 Likes

Well more recently I was a very active member of a Vineyard church, but haven’t found anything which compares when it closed down.

But… I would include a long list of forums I have participated in that category for longer than I was involved in either of those churches.

1 Like

Agreed @MarkD . If I could keep track of what verses/chapters I was piecing together from a variety of sermons, I suppose that’s do the trick but I am a bit neurotic -I like reading medical text books start to finish even if each chapter was authored by a different physician. It’s just the way I’m wired (-;

Correct @Laura -I’ve seen good expository teaching that jumps book to book, but I would ideally like to find one that I can easily follow daily for a few years to cover the entire Bible -and there in is the challenge -finding someone who is good at expository teaching who also has posted sermons from the entire bible (even if they did not take a cover-to-cover path when originally preaching, that’s how I like to travel). (-:

1 Like

I’m the same way reading novels. Got to take it in order and I don’t allow myself to skim when I lose interest. My wife has no problem doing that or even reading the end first. (Do you suppose there is a special place in hell for that kind of thing?).

1 Like

@Lostnfound Let me make a recommendation. J. Vernon McGee and his Thru The Bible series. He covers Genesis to Revelation and skips very little along the way. I will point out he is a YEC, Dispensational, pre-millennial, pre-tribulation preacher but it is amazing how much of the Bible isn’t related to those. In fact his comments on Genesis 1, YEC for sure, pointed out to me why YEC is wrong. The audio is available for free at ttb.org. I listened on my daily commute and it took me months to get through every book, but I felt that it was worth the time on my part.

2 Likes

Great suggestion @Bill_II -I’ll check that out too!

Lostnfound…I will be interested to read people’s responses to your very great question. It can be a challenge to do what you want to do. I find that I appreciate going through multiple commentaries on any particular passage or chapter or verse of the Bible…But of course, that is probably what you also want to do…

2 Likes

Several of the Bible Project series goes through books of the Bible or are centered on a theme that covers books such as the wisdom, poetry, and gospel series.

Also Tim does another series called Exploring My Strange Bible or something like that which also does several chapter by chapter of books studies.

3 Likes