Explaining the "dcscccc" situation

Regular contributors here are familiar with @dcscccc, a strong skeptic of evolution and proponent of Intelligent Design. Many of you have engaged with him, at length, over many months.

Recently, after much conversation and many private comments from contributors, I (with the support of the moderators) made the decision to ask dcscccc to leave our community. The reasons for this decision don’t need to be shared here. My intent is not to publicly shame this person. But I know that when someone disappears suddenly from conversation, it’s a bit jarring. So I wanted to let everyone know what happened.

I will say this: Being the moderator here has made me realize how hard it is for different perspectives of origins to truly listen to each other. On some level, I don’t even know if it’s possible, once people are approaching the same issue with such diametric differences in their premises. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to listen. We should try really, really hard. I think that follows from the spirit of “gracious dialogue” motivated by Christian beliefs. And I’m really proud of this community for embodying that spirit in so many ways.

So if you have any parting words (gracious, positive) to say to @dcscccc, this thread is the place. @dcscccc will be able to read them. Ungracious words will be removed. Also, if you disagree with our decision, send me a private message. Don’t post your dissent below.

2 Likes

@dcscccc,

You are clearly devoted and sincere in your faith and in your love of God. A little more of this in all of us would be most welcome in our brave walk of mortality to the undiscovered country that awaits us.

Most sincerely, George Broooks

1 Like

@dscccc,
You ertainly have been brave in being a lone voice against mainstream science in this group. From your grammar and choice of words I assume you are not a native speaker of English, which certainly would make debating much more difficult for you. From the things you have brought up, and responses to challenges, you show great intelligence.

However, most anti-evolutionary thought is based on the idea that if evolution is true, then religion is false. Most of us who post regularly on BioLogos believe in God and Jesus Christ, and see no conflict between religion and good science. I know there are some Christians believe anyone who accepts evolution is not a true Christian, but we know there are Christians who believe that anyone is not a member of their particular denomination is not a true Christian, either. I believe that pluralism has improved Christianity over the centuries, in spite of the bloodshed that accompanied its origin.

I know that you will not change your beliefs on religion and science, and I doubt that most people in the BioLogos community are going to reject the findings of modern science, so that long discussions on the pros and cons of evolution serve no useful purpose here.

I salute you for your bravery, and wish you success and happiness. I have found your thoughts interesting, even if I don’t agree with them.

2 Likes

@dcscccc I think it was a little over a year ago that we went back and forth over hypothetical evolving…now I can’t remember the Stargate reference…not Cylons…REPLICATORS!! Your dialogue was always gracious, even when I found it hardheaded. Furthermore, your regular skepticism brought a certain amount of health to these boards and I learned a lot reading the answers to your questions. We cannot become a community of self-affirmation and hope to survive and in that regard you were an integral part of this body. I really hope someone can step in and fill your shoes, though I doubt many people have your fortitude or tenacity. I hope the best for you and hope that at some point during eternity we will cross paths and learn the truth underneath all of the muck(rock layers?) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @dcscccc

“If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.” I Corinthians 13:2

Understanding the relationship between Scripture and science is good and important. But demonstrating God’s love is far more important. I have tried to display Christ’s love as we have discussed various issues; if I have ever not succeeded, I hope you will forgive me and pray for me. And I will pray for you, my brother.

Blessings,

Chris Falter

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.