Evolution of Birds

http://news.discovery.com/animals/dinosaurs/all-living-birds-descend-one-feathered-founder-151211.htm

@Patrick,

If birds came from dinosaurs, I am glad they are much smaller than they once were. I read an article on a dinosaur’s remains found out west with feathers. Did you see that article? It was when Jurassic Park, the last film, came out. The movie still showed dinosaurs without feathers to match the older films. My Nancy showed me the article. I usually keep things that interests me; however, I believe I threw that one out. Otherwise, I would share my information with you.

Some birds of a hundred million years ago were quite fearsome predators. Probably why mammals didn’t get larger then. You had the dinosaurs on the ground and the first fearsome birds in the air. That is why the little screw mammals burrowed underground.

Like the Terror Birds!

1 Like

Please note… the reason humans emerged in Africa is because the Terror Birds were in South America !!!

“Phorusrhacids, colloquially known as terror birds, are an extinct clade of large carnivorous flightless birds that were the largest species of apex predators in South America during the Cenozoic, 62–1.8 million years … ago.”

“From 27 million years to 2.5 million years ago, there was an increase in the phorusrhacid population size in South America, suggesting that, in that time frame, the various species flourished as predators in the savannah environment.”

" However, as the Isthmus of Panama emerged [in other words, when North America became connected to South America], 2.5 million years ago, carnivorous dogs and cats from North America were able to cross into South America, causing an increase in competition."

" As the population of phorusrhacids gradually decreased, this suggests that competition with other predators was a major influence on Phorusrhacidae extinction."

“Kevin?”

HashtagPixarUpReference

1 Like

@Henry

Look up the BioLogos Blog I started entitled, From Dinosaurs to Birds for a discussion on how this happened.

Since it is old, the discussion should be closed, but maybe Brad will open it for you.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.