End Times Frenzy and Bill Gates' Vaccination?

Two things I would say.

First from our perspective this global pandemic is unprecedented, from a historical perspective it is quite normative and in fact theres been several worse in say the last 500 years (1918 flu, bubonic plague in Europe etc).

2nd the whole mark of the beast thing being some kind of secret chip that gets planted in you and causes you to accidently ■■■■ yourself for eternity is not only a completely anachronistic reading of Revelation it also completely goes against the main theme of the book which is to encourage persecuted Christian’s that Jesus and Gods kingdom will prevail in the end despite how things look on the surface at the present time.

If it gives Christian’s fear and caused endless speculation your reading it wrong.

The language is mirroring the language used of the Shema from Deuteronomy 6 (bind them [laws of the Torah] on your hand and on your forehead).

The point is it represents those who pledge allegiance to the beast (ie Rome at the time of writing of Revelation but worlds system in a more general sense) rather than to God, not some secretive arbitrary means by which God is going to ■■■■ many to eternity for.

3 Likes

That makes sense… I read Left Behind as a teen and that part did kind of scare me, the whole idea that a physical mark could somehow permanently keep someone from God. They did have a character who had both the microchip and the mark of the believer because he was given the microchip by force. But yeah, I can see how we can cause all kinds of problems by trying to pull Revelation out of its context and assuming that it contains secret metaphors that apply specifically to the twenty-first century.

2 Likes

Though I grew up,in a typical Left Behind friendly culture, I have since come to a partial-preterist type understanding also.

On the other hand, sometimes that anxiety plays into an “us vs them” on the right side, too :). I find myself feeling secure that I’ve thought it out to the right side, and I’m defending the safe side… I have found myself getting irritated with people who are on the conspiracy side, and forgetting that they have very real fears for their and their friends’ livelihoods, and even for the risk of death for those (especially in poor countries) who can’t make enough to eat.
It is probably multifaceted, isn’t it

2 Likes

A healthy balance of what the prophecy meant for the 1st century audience is a good start to seeing Revelation for what it is and also keeping in mind that its also meant for the Church universal (that is Christians for all time) and that the prophecy is meant to encourage us that Christ is victorious and will win and overcome all evil forces whether they be Nero in Rome or whatever final beastly foe may emerge before Christ returns.

3 Likes

On the other hand, sometimes that anxiety plays into an “us vs them” on the right side, too :).

The academic part of me wants to agree with you. There’s nothing like a good debate. But in practice, the other side just bunkers down.

I once had a person who had grown up in a fundamentalist sect. She was introduced to me knowing that I would probably challenge her beliefs. I made a few suggestions, but then she looked down to the rug on my floor. The rug had a pattern in which three parallel lines went along one side before doing a loop and exiting at right angles along the adjacent side. “There” she said, “the mark of the beast.” That seemed to disqualify me in her eyes. I did spend some time looking at the rug before I could see it. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I often need to take my own advice, but the academic side of me keeps surfacing. Oh well!

2 Likes

It drives me insane (and maybe it’s a short drive) when people vilify Bill Gates, who is the most selfless person in the world. Read about his Gates Foundation. And he’s not even religious!

2 Likes

Melinda Gates in Christianity Today discussed how she believed that birth control is important to a woman’s health. Some believe that this is a part of Gates’ nefarious scheme for domination and population control. Here’s an article on CT. https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2015/july-august/melinda-gates-high-price-of-faith-action.html

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.