Does Genesis 1:30 debunk the evolutionary theory?

“From a living animal”? That seems strange, but perhaps because this is so very unusual, that is, the typical pattern is to kill it first. Not quite sure what to make of this statement.

“The Bible seems to say that the Earth is flat.” That’s interesting. Could you point out where?

Eating live animals

Orlando Ferguson

Definitely, and, say, oysters, too. Nevertheless, not the primary mode of consumption. To prohibit someone from eating live animals is clearly not the same as requiring vegetarianism, then.

I’m not saying people like the creator of this diagram say the Earth is flat - they certainly do - what I’m asking is where does the Bible actually seem to say this? Do any of the verses mentioned in the diagram actually seem to say this?

Who says the prohibition against eating live animals is the same as requiring vegetarianism? Not me.
There are folks around here who think all humans–from Adam and Eve to Noah and his family–were vegetarians until they got off the Ark and God magically made them meat-eaters but gave them a commandment not to eat live animals.

Not you, some of those you’re responding to.

1 Like

And I wasn’t saying that you were. I’m not a Flat-earther.

I posted a picture of Professor Orlando Ferguson’s map. The printed Bible verses at the bottom of the map are hard to read. So I cut and pasted them here for you to read.

Hopefully you can read the fine print

I zoomed in before my previous reply to see if any seemed to say the Earth is flat. I didn’t see any that did.

If you were expecting to see a Bible verse that says: “The earth is flat”, you’re not gonna find one.
You’re going to have to interpret the verses to reach that conclusion. For example:

a, Isaiah 11:12 “And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.”
b. Isaiah 42:5 "Thus saith God the LORD, … he that spread forth the earth, …’

I’m not expecting that.

In example “a” is the idea that saying there’s four corners is an example of the Bible saying the Earth is flat? Hmm. Well, if the weather forecaster says sunrise is at 6, are they saying the Sun orbits the Earth? I’m not aware of any listeners who would take it that way, so why would readers take this verse to say the Earth is flat, or think it says that? It’s not clear the original audience would have taken that meaning any more than a modern day listener would take the forecaster’s words to be a statement of orbital mechanics.

In example “b” what’s the connection between what it says and the idea of a flat Earth?

There are several verses referring to the earth being on pillars that Christian flat earth proponents use, e.g.,

For the pillars of the earth are the LORD’s, and on them he has set the world. 1 Samuel 2:8

Tag! You’re “It”. :grinning:

…flat and stationary.

They surely do. But, what’s that verse got to do with a flat Earth? Anyway, I’ve been to Kansas, so I know there’s a flat earth. That’s a far cry from a flat Earth, though.

1 Like

Professor Orlando Ferguson thought so.

I’m hardly defending them, but that is what they do. So I’m not sure what you are pursuing. They are also conspiracists.

Northern Kansas is beautifully hilly. Driving across Nebraska on I-80 when it is following the Platte would lead one to believe it is dead flat, too.

1 Like

Well, I’d like to hear what people are saying, and why they say it, even if it sounds off-the-wall to me. The OP said the Bible seems to say the Earth is flat. I’m interested why he says that, and not so much why people say he says that.