Does Evolution disprove God?

Ok, just don’t confuse God’s loving nature with something that he is compelled to do. He certainly has a choice in the matter.

1 Like

I always found this fascinating and more than a little disturbing. If a Christian is too scared to look at the evidence, how can they claim to have the truth? Sticking one’s head in the sand wont change reality from being what it is, God or no God. It is almost as if they don’t really want to know the truth and instead just want to live in comfort. Living a lie is a horrible thing and should be avoided at all costs.

1 Like

I am one. I do not believe God speaks to us anymore. Everything He has to say is recorded in the Bible.

I come from a cessationist church background. In part it depends upon how one defines “speaks to his people.” I lean towards “the canon is closed” and “No thus-saith-the-Lord prophets speak today” ----yet I do believe God at some times and in some places speaks to some people in important ways. But I also agree that many people will never experience or see that and will assume that nobody experiences it.

1 Like

@Burning_to_Know

That is completely depressing to read … I don’t know how you do it.

Given the evidence that shows me He doesn’t, I have no choice. Yes it would be nice to hear from God, alas, I do not and know of no one who does.

@Burning_to_Know… Folks believe all sorts of things… To believe in something purely from the pages of a book written 2000 years ago … without answered prayers… without anything real in your life today … that’s fairly astounding …

Tell me about it. I have had no personal revelation or interaction with anything Godly. All I have to go on is the argument. This is why I follow it so obsessively. Is that a bad thing? I am sure it is. But what alternative do I have? Blind faith? Blurry rejection?

I find your explanation very hard to accept.

You don’t have to accept it. I am just telling you where I am coming from.

@Burning_to_Know

I literally don’t know anyone else with your position … a God you have never heard from … a God you don’t think anyone else in the last 1000 years has heard from … you disbelieving all the millions of Christians who say that God spoke to them … with you being devoted to a book that says God DOES to speak to people…

Awful huh? I am constantly agonizing over it. While I think He DID speak to people, as is stated in the Bible, I see no reason to interpret that to mean He still does in our modern age. Especially when testimonies are contradictory at best. Who do I believe?

@Burning_to_Know

So when does this AGE OF SILENCE begin in your view?

And how can you defend a super-natural view of God when he seems unable to be “super” enough to even give you a single word or sensation of comfort?

I don’t know. And exactly! These are reasons why I doubt and come to places like this forum.

To be fair, I do receive sensations of comfort when I pray. But is this God or is this me? How can I know without absolute confirmation?

I think at this time, my seeking has led me to believe that the God who fashioned the process of evolution is not as loving as I want Him to be. I think I have been assigning God attributes that are not actually Biblical.

1 Like

From personal experience, as well as experiences of family members, I absolutely believe God speaks to people today, along with in the Bible.

1 Like

I am very careful with claims like yours. You run the risk of falling into the ‘favouritism’ trap.

@Burning_to_Know

Romans 9 specifically tells you to stop complaining about God’s fierce ways.

Believe it or not, I see such a situation as the opposite of “favoritism”. As the scriptures state, “To whom much is given, much is expected.” Thus, someone like the Apostle Paul, who had a Damascus Road experience with Jesus Christ, thereby had a much greater responsibility placed upon him.

So I guess I wouldn’t necessarily call it being a “favorite” of God. Perhaps exactly the opposite.

Are you okay with that?

Romans 9 isn’t really relevant to me and my situation. I’m not the one boo-hooing about God’s role in a non-perfect Universe. My interest in Romans 9 is how much “dancing” Creationists have to do to explain the point of Romans 9… and yet they say it is impermissible to do the same for Genesis 1 and Genesis 2.

The question is: are YOU okay with what Romans 9 says?