Does / can God lie?

We must have a very different understanding of how things have unfolded historically. Quite often, as I have looked into these things, I understand that it isn’t that previous theories have been ‘refined’ but completely overturned and supplanted by later ones.

This continues to be the case.

I am not really sure what you are driving at, however I must say at this point that I am not ‘anti-science’ when it is real verifiable science. What I am advocating is that we have a strong understanding of the difference between science and scientism, i.e. that everything must bow to the latest scientific consensus regarding a particular model as the final ultimate truth.

Classical neo-Darwinian evolution based upon ‘natural selection’ is such a model. Big-bang cosmology is another. Both are theories regarding origins and both have their roots in ‘naturalism’. The belief that everything must have a totally naturalistic explanation. As such, to invoke any form of supernaturalism is deemed to be bordering on the superstitious.

I am not sure what you mean regarding God accomodating to the science of the day or God accommodating to our understanding of a geocentric universe, flat earth, three tiered (Philippians) strata, and many other things.

I’m not at all sure what you mean.

That doesn’t mean the Bible’s wrong in faith. If I tell my little daughter, “The Sun has risen,” it is not a true statement in fact, but she understands what I’m saying.<

If I get what you are saying here then what you are referring to is possibly the use of anthropomorphism and semantics, and yes, the Bible does employ these kinds of linguistic devices at times. I think I get what you are driving at in this case. However, the issues regarding evolutionary origins go beyond much further in how they impinge upon the historic Christian faith. If, for example, the classic Darwinian model were to be true then some basic Christian doctrines come under strain as regarding their veracity and in some cases would even need to be discarded altogether. That if one were to accept classical Darwinianism on one hand and some form of Christianity on the other.

Issues concerning how death came into the world, whether Adam was really the first man and whether all the human race is descended from him. Issues concerning the historicity of the accounts, the demonic realm etc… Did God really say? etc… the list goes on. These are matters which which do considerably effect the theology and the ‘gospel’ we are prepared to believe.

These are the issues of concern for many.

1 Like

How so? Newtonian mechanics and gravitation actually work perfectly well in most situations. It is only in special circumstances that Einstein’s more accurate equations need to be used instead. Likewise, the Earth is not really spherical; it’s an oblate spheroid, as Newton predicted. But still, telling people it looks like a sphere is correct. It’s only squashed by about one part in 300. And the Earth doesn’t really orbit the Sun; it orbits the solar system barycentre (center of mass… Newton again!) The Sun dances around the SSB due to the pull of the planets (mostly, the gas giant planets.) Again, that’s still the same to look at. The Sun’s dance around the SSB is around 100 times smaller than the Earth’s and only about twice the size of the Sun itself.

Mendel? I don’t know much about genetics. But I do note that the very article you cited says “In fact, the general concepts outlined by Mendel worked so well that they survived right through the modern molecular era.” Excuse any fumbles I make here but I think it goes like this. Inheritance really does work through discrete units (genes) inherited from parents. Each organism really carries two possibly different copies of each gene (alleles), one from each parent, and one of them dominates, determining some characteristics of the organism. And sex cells (gametes) really do only carry one copy of each gene, randomly chosen between the two available, and the genes that make it to the male and female gametes involved in a successful fertilization event are the ones that end up in the offspring.

2 Likes

As I have grappled with this rift and sought to ensure I’m approaching it in a way that pleases God, I have been drawn to watch this video many times over, and read the associated book twice over - https://youtu.be/AvNc0sgaClY <

I have watch this video now. Thanks for posting.

Of note to me, apart from the excellent example set here, is that Todd Wood, despite being absolutely committed to YEC on scriptural grounds, thinks the evidence for evolution is very solid.<

I think that this statement by Todd Wood needs to be considered in context i.e the context of his original meaning. which can be found here.

If I understand what I think he is saying, then I would agree with him that there is evidence for evolution in the sense that some of the raw data fits the model proposed by evolutionists i.e that, for example, seemingly less complex life forms appear in earlier geological rock strata and seemingly more and advanced lifeforms appear in later rock strata (my example). There may be and probably are many more examples. With this I would agree with him that this data corresponds to or is consistent with the overall theory. This correspondence however does not mean he believes the overarching theory is correct. With which I would also agree. So when he is saying that ‘the evidence for evolution is very solid’ he is not saying that he believes Darwinian evolution to be the over arching fact concerning origins.

This is what I understand him to be saying.

How so? Newtonian mechanics and gravitation actually work perfectly well in most situations. It is only in special circumstances that Einstein’s more accurate equations need to be used instead<

I think that we may be at cross purposes in many respects.

E=MC2 isn’t a refinement of Newton but something entirely different and so is Einstein’s theory of gravitation which is also not a refinement upon Newton.

I am not speaking about whether Newtonian mechanics is not useful for scientists, in a pragmatic way, for working out the movement of celestial objects such as planets. What I am saying is that the theory of gravity as proposed in Einstein’s general theory i.e that massive objects bend space and time never entered Newtons head, the obvious genius that he was.

What Einstein came up with (which was purely theoretical at the time) was an entirely different model about the cosmological nature of reality. This was then later born out by observation. Or so it presently appears on the cosmic scale.

But we may perhaps be getting off the point here.

My main point is that scientific theories have changed over the centuries and continue to change. They are a questionable basis upon which to propose a theology (or anthropology) concerning the origin of man (this is not to exclude woman). Particularly when these theories are based upon the a priori assumption that all of creation can be traced back to naturalistic explanations concerning origins.

Theistic evolution as we read it today is, by and large, committed to these ‘naturalistic’ assumptions which impose a limitation on how the Bible should be understood. I think this is beyond dispute (perhaps not by some theistic evolutionists).

I therefore come back to my original proposition that the first and foremost point of contention is that between naturalism vs supernaturalism.

It is the naturalists i.e atheists who propose that everything has a purely naturalistic explanation i.e that everything unfolds according to the basic laws of the universe from year dot, and then extrapolate this theory backwards in time to propose a theory of origins. I don’t think that anyone would contest this. However it is the Christian theistic evolutionists i.e. those who admit supernaturalism on one hand, but however then go on to fall in line with the naturalists that are proposing (atheistic) evolution as the basis of origins.

I may get the moderator on my back for saying these things within this particular environment, but open discussion, between individuals, is open discussion is it not?

Modern findings suggest that the process of natural selection by itself does not possess the inherent creative power to generate new life forms and that this is in line with mathematical fields of probability along with that of the present understanding of entropy.

What is required is the input of new genetic information which natural forces such as environment, changes in ecology etc. and other natural forces, in and of themselves cannot, inherently, provide.

By all means tell me I’m wrong.

I would invite you to watch this talk by Stephen C Meyer who incidentally now believes that the latest 150 years or so of classic evolutionary theory is now on the back foot and that this is readily admitted by some former Darwinist/neo-Darwinists seeking a new model of origins.

You’re wrong. Perhaps in ways you don’t think you are, however.

Naturalists are not atheists. One had to do with belief in God, the other looks for causes consistent with known processes and laws of physics. Atheists may be naturalists, or they may have other metaphysical beliefs that do not involve a specific god. Naturalists may be atheists, or they may be theists.

Ironically, it it s the literal- historical understanding of the Bible that places the tightest limits on how it is to be understood, as, for example, the temple building interpretation of Genesis is compatable with young earth, old earth, and intermediate earth views of age. The literal-historical view limits it only to young, though is inconsistent as it ignores the three-tiered earth, flat earth, and geocentric views that the Bible describes.
Most importantly, by focusing on the materialistic aspects, it tends to relegate theologic truths and teaching to the back burner in pushing the agenda that pays the bills.

Evolutionary theory has evolved, and there is a lot of work in looking at how these things come about. In fairness, does intelligent design have mechanism or evidence that could further our understanding? All I have seen is rhetoric and mathmatical models based on conjecture.

Partially correct, though unchanged classic evolutionary theory as proposed by Darwin has not been held by anyone for the last 100 years, as it has evolved with new knowledge. Current theory will no doubt continue to change as time goes on. That is what happens in science.

4 Likes

As I have said before, to moderators wishing to interject into the conversation…
This is a conversation I have with someone else. I don’t consider this moderation, but I do consider it control. If you want to interject your point of view in between the point of view and personal opinion I have with someone else then then why not feel feel free take off the moderator badge?

I am not overstepping any of the guidelines and conducting my conversation with grace and respect for the other person and so do not expect that this conversation as it stands needs moderating.

As I say this is control not moderation.

Moderators are free to comment as just like any other participant. If you put something out there for discussion, expect it to be discussed. If something needs moderated, it is usually done behind the scenes. If you don’t want it discussed, the best format is to create your own blog and not allow it. Any response to the points of difference in opinion I voiced?

This appears to be irony… as disagreement is not control but freedom of expression.
Back to your invitation to tell you where you are wrong, I would agree with your statement

Yet, that is exactly what many do in young earth and ID circles, and yes, some in EC circles as well, although EC generally has more separation in the science and theology that some other common views mentioned, where the science and theology are intimately entangled.

2 Likes

Yes, but only because he insists (his interpretation of) the Bible must be correct. If he was able to switch off that concern for a moment, and just form an opinion based on material evidence, it would be that mainstream evolution theory is very likely correct.

“There has really been no failure of evolution as a scientific theory. It works, and it works well.”

1 Like

Einstein’s laws tell us why Newton’s laws apply. You can derive Newton’s laws of motion and gravitation from Einstein’s special and general relativity, after making certain approximations that in most applications don’t change the answer in any appreciable way. Likewise you can derive Kepler’s laws from Newton’s laws, after making an approximation (that the mass of the planet is small compared to the mass of the Sun, i.e. pretending the planet orbits a fixed Sun rather than both of them orbiting the barycenter).

(NB this is a lowercase ‘why’, which just fits some patterns into a broader or more fundamental set of patterns. Science doesn’t try provide ultimate answers to ‘Why’ questions. Only when religion can do that.)

This is what I mean by those theories have been refined rather than modified. It’s not at all the same sort of radical sweeping change that it was to go from flat earth to spherical earth, geocentrism to heliocentrism, special creation to evolution, etc. And so I would argue that it’s most unlikely any of those theories (including evolution) will ever be subject to radical sweeping change.

On your broader point, I absolutely agree it’s unwise to attach theology to a particular scientific theory. This is the folly of Young Earth Creationism. It is better to insist on not trying to read the Bible as a science text book. As Augustine said:

P.S. I have a bit more to say about naturalism vs theism but will have come back for that later!

2 Likes

What’s wrong with that?

Isn’t it a cornerstone of Christian theology that God creates and sustains everything?

Let’s say I’m hiking, and I round the bend and behold a beautiful waterfall. Waves of awe wash over me, marvelling at the sight of the sheets and streams of water coming down.

Another day, I round the same bend, and there is the waterfall, only the water is running up instead of down. “It’s a miracle!” I proclaim.

But was God’s hand not also involved in the waterfall when it was working the normal way?

Simply by noticing that things in the material world tend conform to certain patterns (e.g. stuff that isn’t held up, falls down), does that mean that God is not involved?

Do you have trouble believing that God would order his Creation with patterns that are potentially intelligible by His image-bearers?

Edit to add: just for the sake of better communication, here’s my background. I was an agnostic until just months ago when I opened my heart to God. I came to that already accepting the consensus of scientists, because I had no reason not to. I know first hand that scientists aren’t stupid, aren’t prone to overconfidence and aren’t conspiring to deceive or to promote the religion of atheism.

There is actually a difference between agnosticism and atheism. As an agnostic, science to me was noticing patterns and trying as best we can to codify those patterns, so we can better understand what the material world is like, and what it was like in the past, and what the processes that connected those moments looked like. Science doesn’t try to say anything at all about Why (uppercase Why) the material world is like a that. Merely operating on the premise that aspects of the material world follow intelligible patterns says nothing at all about the Why.

Being an atheist materialist is something different: it’s saying nothing exists other than the material world. ‘Why?’ ‘Just because.’

Just because science proceeds by trying to find patterns and not invoking ad-hoc pattern-breaking divine interventions, does not at all mean it denies that God exists or miracles can’t happen. Science just doesn’t have an opinion. If it can’t explain something it just says so. Like a good agnostic.

So I’m not sure why you consider science, or a particular scientific theory, to be inherently atheist.

In terms of science, the jump from agnostic to theist is not hard. It’s just a matter of of going ‘Ahhh! So that’s who creates and orders this amazing Universe’. Becoming specifically Christian is no harder (intellectually. There is of course a potentially more challenging act of surrender and supplication, confession and repentence involved.) The historicity of Jesus is well established. There is no evidence against any of the Biblical miracles. Unless. Unless you read Genesis the way Young Earth Creationists insist you must. Then, you have a problem.

2 Likes

If you don’t want it discussed, the best format is to create your own blog and not allow it<

No kidding, Biologos. Wow!

Do you have trouble believing that God would order his Creation with patterns that are potentially intelligible by His image-bearers?<

Generally, in life, I don’t have any of that kind of trouble.

I worry you’re feeling a bit embattled. I want to assure you that’s not my intention.

So my question more gently put is, if God’s hand is in every event, why is creation through evolution hard to accept? Because it took place over time, in ways that followed patterns we can now study, why should that threaten to erase God’s agency?

Here are two quotes that bear comparison.

What but the wolf’s tooth whittled so fine
The fleet limbs of the antelope?
- Robson Jeffers

And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. - Genesis 1:12

Both these quotes refer to non-divine agency, and to Creation taking place over time. Neither erases God’s agency.

1 Like

I have been busy and cannot respond to every post to me. I just don’t have the time at my disposal:

By all means tell me I’m wrong. (my quote)

You’re wrong. Perhaps in ways you don’t think you are, however. (your quote)<

You may have overlooked the fact that this invitation was to someone else as part of a lengthy conversation up to that point. A conversation I did not have the heart to continue.

Heads up- it is never a good idea within polite society to introduce yourself to someone or initiate a conversation by telling them they are wrong… even if you feel you have a right to do so. Chances are you will get a bad reaction, particularly if it cuts across someone else’s conversation and comes across as a high handed authoritarian put down. This is just a tip for the future.

Naturalists are not atheists. One had to do with belief in God, the other looks for causes consistent with known processes and laws of physics. Atheists may be naturalists, or they may have other metaphysical beliefs that do not involve a specific god. Naturalists may be atheists, or they may be theists.<

If you refer back to my original comment (to someone else) I did not say that all naturalists are atheists. However, historically many atheists have been at the cutting edge of modern evolutionary thought and evolutionary though proceeds along the lines of naturalistic/materialistic assumptions. We could even include Marx and Freud as they themselves adopted an evolutionary model in their own respective fields.

Charles Lyell, an early proponent of evolutionary theory was apparently a deist and this provided the basis of his naturalistic philosophy. Although deism is not atheism per se it could possibly be described as a form of practical atheism (methodological naturalism) for all intents and purposes as regards scientific method.

This from a recent book on evolution’:

‘It is a fundamental principle of modern evolutionary thought that all explanations must ultimately be materialistic, that is to say all explanations must be based upon accepted laws of chemistry and physics.’

and also that:

'Charles Lyell developed the essential points of his whole uniformitarian theory after only a few years of geological observations in England and before his first major geological tour on the European continent.”

So I would maintain that methodological naturalism in the realm of scientific theorising is a form of ‘practical atheism’ even if proponents are de facto atheistsper se themselves. This has been particularly apparent in the historic promotion of evolutionary theory.

Thomas Huxley has been described as the fiercest propagandist for Darwin’s evolutionary ideas, earning the title “Darwin’s Bulldog”. As a self confessed ‘agnostic’ he also rejected Christianity outright. Some have intimated he intentionally set out to undermine Christianity if not destroy it altogether.

Evolutionary theory has evolved, and there is a lot of work in looking at how these things come about. In fairness, does intelligent design have mechanism or evidence that could further our understanding? All I have seen is rhetoric and mathmatical models based on conjecture.<

I am not advocating that proponents of ID have the very last word in science but I think that there is some value perhaps yet to be found in their research. ID itself proposes an evidential approach to apologetics along these lines. I am interested in presuppositional arguments but I do not hold that they have the last word either.

Evolutionary theory has evolved, and there is a lot of work in looking at how these things come about. In fairness, does intelligent design have mechanism or evidence that could further our understanding? All I have seen is rhetoric and mathmatical models based on conjecture.<

Research being done by those in the ID community may yet. Particularly if it is throwing up findings which challenge the hitherto held positions Evolutionary creationists i.e. by throwing up questions which they have not as yet been able to answer. I don’t consider this to be rhetoric. As research continues my guess would be that someone may have to change their position at some time in the not too distant future.

Ironically, it is the literal- historical understanding of the Bible that places the tightest limits on how it is to be understood, as, for example, the temple building interpretation of Genesis is compatable with young earth, old earth, and intermediate earth views of age. The literal-historical view limits it only to young, though is inconsistent as it ignores the three-tiered earth, flat earth, and geocentric views that the Bible describes.
Most importantly, my focusing on the materialistic aspects, it tends to relegate theologic truths and teaching to the back burner in pushing the agenda that pays the bills.<

Yes, and not only paying the bills but holding down a job in many cases. This a huge pressure.

What I find most valuable is that the ID community are providing sound reasonable and scientific arguments that say Christians do not have to adopt an evolutionary framework when reading scripture. They are providing strong evidential reasons which run counter to the evidential reasons that theistic evolutionists promote in telling Christians that they must adopt an evolutionary framework. I will leave readers to consider which is the most restrictive.

And I quote:

Evolutionary creationists ‘accept that natural selection and other evolutionary mechanisms, acting over long periods of time. eventually result in major changes in body structures. Some people call this macroevolution’
Deborah Haarsman, Biologos

However, Suzan Mazure in 'the altenberg’16 ’ wrote:

‘There are hundreds of other evolutionary scientists (non creationists) who contend that natural selection is politics not science, and the we are in a quagmire because of staggering commercial investment in a Darwinian industry built on an inadequate theory’

If those at the top end of Biologos cannot fully define and clarify their own position regarding some of the questions central to the evolution debate then ‘I don’t see how it is an issue of pure’rhetoric’ .

Partially correct, though unchanged classic evolutionary theory as proposed by Darwin has not been held by anyone for the last 100 years, as it has evolved with new knowledge. Current theory will no doubt continue to change as time goes on. That is what happens in science.<

I know. I was using that term as a cover-all. One has to speak in broad terms sometimes, particularly when one does not know the other person, and this was in the context of the changing scientific ideas in the conversation (i.e the conversation I was having with another person) to which you allude.

When one is in discussion like this one has to give an attentive ear to where the other person is coming from and build a rapport of some kind. Your cutting across in such a way was not at all helpful in this respect.

This is the downside of barging in on someone else’s conversation (even though you may have the right). Things can often be taken out of context.

This being said, perhaps we here in England may seem far more unnecessarily genteel.

Regarding evolution as a theory whether it be Darwinian or neo-Darwinian embracing common descent through natural selection, I have yet to see the silver bullet. Perhaps you could provide me with one

Right. Carry on. There is a private message function if you do not wish a comment to be seen for public review and comment.

1 Like

You’re having a loud conversation in the marketplace. If you don’t want other interlocutors, make it private.

2 Likes

You’re wrong. And not just in your putting your faith before reality. In your very un-English ‘manners’ and manner. Have you got a real, sane, disinterested scientist you can wheel out? Myers and Margulis don’t count. Being the genius who gave us endosymbiosis doesn’t count. Any more than the garbage spoken by Professor Sir Fred Hoyle FRS, one of the finest science fiction writers of all time, who unhinged himself with his vast contribution of stellar nucleosynthesis, counts. Which is why he couldn’t be given an otherwise richly deserved Nobel. Science, like art, is littered with very broken genius. Caravaggio. Elliot. The greatest example of a cracked scientist being the greatest of them all of course. A bloodthirsty monster to boot. His portrait will move me immensely again next week. As will Caravaggio’s work next door. Guarantee my Stendhal’s will kick in.

One has to discern. With the spirit of a sound mind. Even if one is cracked. It lets the light in. One can be quite mentally ill and rational. And mentally well and irrational. And all stations in between. If I say so myself. I try and get off at East Ham.

I like to think of the situation as God not correcting erroneous views on science and history and cosmology unless there was a specific reason to do so.

2 Likes

Wow! There you go…