Distasteful...The Implications Of Evolution Before The Fall

@Christy

That would be good

But no one in the YEC camp has proposed a mechanism that that could limit the changes. There is no indication in the way evolution works that any limit could be applied.

But dog breeds are not separate species.

Different only to a YEC. No difference to a biologist. It is like saying a foot and a mile are fairly different when in reality if you add up 5,280 feet you get to a mile. The difference is only in degree not in the underlying unit.

3 Likes

You explained it nicely, Bill.

@Bill_II
Iā€™m fairly certain that I have read about such a mechanism from a YEC source. Iā€™ll try to find exactly where. Until then, donā€™t quote me on that (this is something I would also like to find)

Precisely. Macroevolution did not occur. _Micro_evolution did.

To be fair, there are YEC biologistsā€¦
I can see what you mean, and that is how I have always seen evolution explainedā€¦but that pretty much fits with me looking up the mechanism for restricting variation.

Also, I think you explained it nicely as well. Good for you.

In the meantime, I have an idea for a new discussionā€¦

Microevolution is supposed to explain how modern species evolved from a kind that was on the ark so your dog breed example does not fit. The argument is there was hyper-evolution resulting in new species after the flood to generate the number of species present today.

Joel Duff has done extensive writing on the problems with hyper-evolution at his web site. Some of these problems are actually caused by what is written in the Bible. You can view the YEC Hyper-evolution Archive on his website Naturalis Historia

1 Like

Artificial selection via human-run breeding isnā€™t considered microevolution, even by creationists, as far as I know. It doesnā€™t have to do with beneficial adaptations or natural selection.

1 Like

@J.E.S

After the birth of the protestant denominationsā€¦ leaving the One Roman Catholic church in th aaazzze Westā€¦ did you ever wonder how the Catholics could be wrong -considering the sheer multiplicity of protestant groups who cannot agree on much at All!

This is quite parallel to the scenario you mention about all the anti-evolution groups.

Then kindly explain the difference in mechanism.

1 Like

The one thing you should learn when visiting here is the only real difference between what you are calling micro and macro is that macro evolution takes longer ā€¦ because it is the cumulative collection of lots of little changes that leads to:

A. Speciation of two groups of what was once one population;
B. Then becoming two species with similar appearances;
C. Then becoming two or more sub-groups that have become so different that casual observers may have trouble seeing any connection.

One would think that finding strange similarities between hippo and whale ankle bones, a similar reliance on blubber tissue to make their long term presence in water more manageable, and even oddly similar genetic markers, is exactly what we would expect in a so-called MACRO evolution scenario!

1 Like

I have posted such evidence in two threads now:

I look forward to your participation.

1 Like

@J.E.S, Biologos is not really a good place to look for arguments and evidence for evolution, as that is not its primary purpose, which is to integrate the findings of science with faith.
For most of us here, evolution is pretty much a given, not something that needs a lot a debate, though the refinement of our understanding is a continuous process.
It would be helpful to ask specific questions regarding issues you have in your studies. There are lots of resources for study of the general science out there, many online and many free or low cost. @beaglelady recently posted about an online course that looked very interesting, though at this time I have too many irons in the fire to participate in it. It may be something that you would be interested in.

4 Likes

I can already tell you that you wonā€™t find it. Macroevolution is nothing more than the accumulation of microevolution. To use an analogy, the same process you used to move one step is the same process you use to walk to the store.

For example, the human and chimp genomes are separated by about 40 million microevolutionary events known as mutations. If you compare the two genomes you will find that each difference is consistent with a single microevolutionary event.

Can you cite their YEC peer reviewed publications that evidence YEC? What YEC research are they doing? What grants are they funded by?

3 Likes

@T_aquaticus
I have read that microevolution only allows change within a specific genetic code. Or, at least, that is what I have heard from AIGā€¦This means that the changes would not be able to accumulate to the point that they would have to accumulate for macroevolution to occurā€¦

Your thoughts?

That doesnā€™t make any sense. What is a ā€œspecific genetic codeā€?[quote=ā€œJ.E.S, post:174, topic:36407ā€]
This means that the changes would not be able to accumulate to the point that they would have to accumulate for macroevolution to occurā€¦
[/quote]

Then they should be able to point to specific differences between species that could not be the result of accumulated microevolutionary events. I have yet to see them do that.

4 Likes

That makes no sense. Thereā€™s nothing mechanistic about it, either.

2 Likes

There has to be changes to more than one code to be able to account for all of the species that are supposed to result from microevolution. Remember, if you add up 5,280 feet you end up with a mile.

@J.E.S

You have read ā€œthat microevolution only allows change within a specific genetic codeā€¦ā€?

These are the preacherā€™s rulesā€¦ they are not biologyā€™s rules. There is nothing about mutation that automatically stops as soon as a certain point is reached.

Genetic changes just keep happening ā€¦ because no cellā€™s ability to replicate genetic material is perfect. It has been theorized that life forms that ever achieved perfect replication were eliminated relatively soon, because perfect replication makes it very difficult to store genetic variation - - at the ready when the environment throws some new threat at the popuation.

Yep, the Common Questions page is the best match for what you are describing. Perhaps youā€™re right that we need them more prominently linked from a pinned thread of some point. I will bring that idea up in our next mod meeting.

3 Likes

Hi Jonathan!
A long while back, I wrote the following in response to a similar question asked on this forum:

Later, the same person asked me the following:

@J.E.S, Iā€™m interested in hearing your thoughts about all of this!

Casper

3 Likes

This is a pivotal point in your discussion where some YECs are most prone to interpret your views as heretical.

Iā€™m still working on some ā€œbest practiceā€ terminology that minimizes that YEC inclination!

1 Like