Did a Global Flood really happen? If not, why does the Bible describe one?

i disagree that it is misleading to hold that the bible is the word of God.

But I’m not claiming that Genesis 1 should be read literally. You are.

I’m also appealing to physical evidence. You are not.

There is no case textually for “instantly” and there is no physical evidence for “instantly.”

Regardless of the lack of justification for this in scripture.

And regardless of the evidence that contradicts this in scripture.

I think it’s time to face the fact that what you believe about the Bible does not come from the Bible. Tradition, maybe?

Is that what’s at stake here?

What’s the difference between a shopping mall with God and without God? And if I were a store owner why should I really care as long as you shop in the mall?

But @martin, do you think that Jesus is the Bible itself?

Suppose you consider the Bible as “true”. Then you have to follow what is explicitly taught in the Bible. The Bible teaches that Jesus IS the Word of God.

Therefore, I believe that the Bible can be considered to be the Word of God in the sense that it reflects/portrays/communicates who Jesus is.

may I ask you a sincere question?you said you believe that God created humans and animals through the process of evolution? could you please state your top 3 or 4 reasons why you believe that? and the evidence that you personally see that backs that up to be true? Thank you very much-Martin

1 Like

the evidence that it was instant is that I cannot see evolution anywhere in any animal anywhere?Do you?

There’s plenty of evidence for evolution. Literally tons and tons.

But even if there were none, there is no evidence of instantaneous Creation. The way the whole universe “works” is through growth. Nothing happens instantaneously.

So claiming that “no evidence for evolution” is justification for “instantaneous Creation” is actually ridiculous (and I use that word literally–worthy of ridicule).

Consider that some people are forced to conclude that God created the universe “with the appearance of age.” This is a claim that is impossible to prove. God could have created the universe three minutes ago, with the “appearance of age,” our recent memories included.

So…what evidence do you actually appeal to? Since there’s no physical evidence of “instantaneous Creation” and you have to insert a word into the biblical text to “read that into” the text?

the whole point is that no difference exist at all between if God did it or not that is my exact point and since he created the earth I think he does and should make a difference. If you are going to believe in evolution by naturalism with no God involved, Why are you on Bio logos?

Wow, this is a little frustrating. Who said God wasn’t involved? Where are you getting this from? When the Hades did I ever say that?

You have this amazing and annoying capacity of reading what is not written–whether it is “instant” in the biblical text of whether it is all kinds of things you think I’m saying that I’m not saying. Why are you doing this? Are you being deliberately dishonest? Or is this accidental?

when you said, whats the difference when shopping in a mall with God or without God?If i were an atheist as long your your shopping who cares?

Yeah, that’s the point. You had no point.

What’s the difference between evolution with God and without God?

Well…God, of course! That’s the difference! A naturalistic, blind universe is ultimately purposeless and meaningless. But God creates (however his mechanism) for purpose and meaning.

You asked if you an atheist, why should you really care as long as I agree with you about evolution?

I don’t know. How many atheists do you know? Some people care desperately about getting you to agree about evolution because they believe that it’s true and they care deeply about what is true. There are some that care desperately about atheism because they believe deeply about that. And then there are evolutionists that don’t give a turd what you think. And then there are atheists that don’t give a turd what you think. And all the variations in between.

Ironically, those that push their position simply because they believe it is true–well, that’s kind of admirable. We, as Christians, do the same, don’t we?

So what’s your point?

I believe the bible tells about Jesus and what it says about Jesus is 100% correct and accurate. that is how it is the word of God.

1 Like

You are making this more confusing than it needs to be.let me explain. Atheist that believe in evolution use evolution as the “creator” in order to get rid of God because they do not want to believe in God. So they push Darwinian evolution to do it. Now do you really think just “tacking on God on evolution” makes that much difference? or does it just make a person “feel better” for doing it? evolution is still evolution one way or another it makes no difference, Evidence does NOT exist for evolution…

Evidence does exist for evolution. To claim that it doesn’t is sheer willful ignorance. Now, you can interpret the evidence differently (which is increasingly difficult to do–and the main reason why I am no longer a 6-day Creationist), but to say “it doesn’t exist” is just ignorant.

See, it isn’t about “being confusing.” It’s actually about sincerely and faithfully evaluating evidence and scripture–something you seem unwilling to do, because you stand on extra-biblical traditions about scripture and ignore physical evidence about evolution.

Do you believe the universe was created in 6 literal days?

What if I tell you about Jesus? And everything I tell you is 100% correct? Am I the word of God?

If evidence exist pleases tell me what you think it is and how you know for sure? and if Darwin was a believer why did he need to come up with an idea like Darwinism the tree of life and so forth? why could he just said the God did it and had been happy at that? i know you will claim that is "learning"but since i do not witness evolution in any form in reality it is just “VOODOO science” if you will and to me it is a pack of lies.:confused:

God can create the universe any way he wants who are you to say not?

unless you are made out of paper,NO.you really are confused about how the Bible is the word of God as a baptist it has always been accepted as the {inerrant word of God}. what you need to do is go on the web and find a Baptist church close to you and look on it’s web site about"our doctrine or "what we believe’. maybe that will help you understand it better than me telling you,you do not seem to want to believe what I say anyhow, so attempting to explain it seems futile to me in the least.:confused:

Why couldn’t we be happy living in caves? Why bother learning about tectonic plates and weather patterns? Quantum mechanics? Relativity? Why bother learning about ecology? And genetics?

Why not just be happy with “God did it”?

Because THAT’S WHAT SCIENCE IS!!!