Discovering my Family are Conspiracy Theorists

Let us know if you ever find one.

Really?

No, I am sure you know better.

Well, … I meant it in a “even a broken clock is right twice a day” kind of sense.

Your article doesn’t support the claim you are trying to make.

It’s rather rich that the article tries to claim a conspiracy theory based on the opinion that there was no evidence for a natural origin, yet the article fails to realize that there was no evidence for a lab leak either. What little evidence we had was tipped towards a natural origin, and that evidence has only accumulated since then. There is also a long history of viruses spilling over into the human population from other animal species.

From the article:

That’s nonsense. Furin cleavage sites have evolved naturally multiple times in many different viral lineages. There is no evidence of human manipulation in the genome of SARS-CoV-2, and plenty of evidence against it, such as the presence of restriction sites that wouldn’t be present if modern techniques were used to reassemble a modified genome.

2 Likes

As with everything, consider the source.

2 Likes

If you don’t like that, you could read the Durham report — but a simpler case is that of the US government telling lies in support of a conspiracy to mislead the citizens of the US and the world is President Eisenhower’s lies about Gary Power and the U2 spy plane.

The Russians shot down a spy plane flying over its territory. The US government repainted a U2 in NASA colors and created a big lie. The President delivered the lie. Unfortunately for the President, he was unaware that the pilot had survived.

So the conspiracy theorists who did not believe the government’s official claims were right to reject the government’s line.

What about it?

Just another example of people branded as conspiracy theorists being shown to be right. There was a conspiracy and it won the ones who conspired or supported those conspiring 10 Pulitzer Prizes.

But going much farther down that tangent will just get the thread split or turned into a private message.

1 Like

So we should believe every conspiracy theory?

1 Like

I give you permission to believe everything below the ‘leaving reality’ line:

Credit to Abbie Richards who has links to each of these.

3 Likes

Is revealing how a particular so-called conspiracy theory was true all along really an advocation that we should believe every conspiracy theory?

I’m amazed at just how many members of this forum are not only woefully indoctrinated, but seem to also have a sense of “maternal protection” for the propaganda they’ve chosen to believe.

Keep dropping those truth bombs, Vance. :+1:

1 Like

Not sure that lies by the government is wide enough to be considered a conspiracy theory. A conspiracy, yes.

1 Like

Case in point… The image you shared has the top level identified as “THE ANTISEMITIC POINT OF NO RETURN”.

Not one of those subjects has anything to do with being “anti-Jew”. A person wouldn’t have to hate Jewish people in order to doubt that six million Jews were exterminated during the course of WWII. And what in the world do Q, Pizzagate, Sandy Hook, George Floyd, Adrenochrome or Cultural Marxism have to do with Jews at all?

Is characterizing people who doubt the official narrative on any particular subject as “conspiracy theorists”, “anti-Semitic”, “racist far right extremists” or “science deniers” rational, fair, and based on actual evidence? Or is it propaganda designed to shut down any dissent?

1 Like

Either you are not understanding my post or you are making an attempt at humor. I can’t tell which.

The government does not lie about everything.

So when there is a theory by citizens that government officials are involved in a conspiracy to mislead citizens, then theory may later be revealed to be true or later revealed to be false.

It’s not people who “doubt the official narrative on any particular subject” that we’re talking about here, Mikey. It’s people who fall hook line and sinker for conspiracy theories are wildly implausible or totally unrealistic for one of a number of specific reasons.

For example, they may require the involvement (and subsequent silence) of too many people over too long a period of time. Real conspiracies that actually happen tend to involve a very small, tight-knit group of people and be very limited in scope. And even then they have a nasty habit of coming to light after a while.

Or they may be more complicated and expensive to execute than the “mainstream narrative,” while providing very little practical benefit to those allegedly involved, if any.

Or they may have too may ways of going wrong while being extremely difficult to pull off successfully.

Or they may be physically impossible because they are inconsistent with well-established laws of physics. Or they may be inconsistent with other conspiracy theories promoted by the same people. Or they may even be inconsistent with themselves.

“Propaganda designed to shut down any dissent” has nothing whatsoever to do with it. It’s simply a matter of applying the basic principles of common sense, evidence-based reasoning, and Occam’s Razor to determine which conspiracies could realistically be happening and which ones could not.

3 Likes

Since I doubt any exchange I have with you will ever be fruitful, for anyone else curious is related to centuries-old antisemitic conspiracy theories about Blood Libel.

Yes, but the problem is twofold. Calling people such labels doesn’t exactly help or hurt them. Here are some estimates about what is actually effective:

That’s a common trope of conspiracists where part of the conspiracy is “the elite or scientists or the media or (insert all powerful boogeyman here)” shutting down dissent or opposition. It’s a very low-effort comeback because it requires no effort to demonstrate the truth of the dissenting position and just implies that ____________ is suppressing the truth.

2 Likes

Our exchanges have been very fruitful for me.

I asked what a number of subjects in your meme had to do with hating Jews. What you responded with is not an answer. So let’s take just the Sandy Hook subject then. What would believing that Sandy Hook was a false flag have to do with being anti-Semitic? That is a serious question to you, and deserves a serious answer.

Did you really mean to say yes? I don’t believe the official narrative about 9-11. Which of those labels would you attach to me, and based on what evidence?

I think it used to hurt them. Today, it is a badge of honor. Those labels usually mean the person they’re being applied to is over the target.

You’re kidding, right? Have you heard of “The Twitter Files”? Black and white proof that the US Government worked with Twitter executives to censor information they didn’t want out there and ban the accounts of the people who provided that information. They banned the accounts of thousands of people for sharing Covid information that went against the official party line - including the inventor of the mRNA “therapy”. They censored one of the oldest newspapers in the country over the Hunter Biden laptop. And let’s not forget that they even banned the sitting President of the United States!

Yet YOU attempt to discredit this truth simply by labeling it a “low effort” ploy by “conspiracists”?

Talk about a low effort ploy.

Of course an individual person can believe some conspiracy and not be antisemitic or a white supremacist, but those that originate and propagate such conspiracies often are. For example, here’s an excerpt from an article from 2012:

Having a “conspiracy” worldview also appears to increase the likelihood of a person believing future conspiracies. Previous conspiracies that they believe are used as evidence for new conspiracies as shown by this chart:

As the authors put it:

One pathway to understanding CTs is the observation that people who believe in one CT tend to believe in others, irrespective of how unrelated or contradictory they may seem

Yes it’s lazy to just claim “they’re suppressing my side, therefore I’m right.” Particle theorists don’t accept my secret theory that CERN is making a portal to another dimension that will be used to bring the antichrist in to rule the global cabal and keep rejecting my journal articles. Or I could just write a book about it like this one I found at Barnes and Noble one time:

Ever heard of Poe’s Law?

I have been utterly shocked sometimes when hearing the things people around me believe that it’s hard to separate them from satire.

2 Likes