Did Jesus Christ, our Lord, during His physical ministry on Earth, in his truly mortal body, believe in Young Earth Creationism?

It is the same fallacy which leads people to think that mathematics must be some sort of universal language by which we can communicate with aliens. They assume this because the answers we get in mathematics are a matter of proof and no aliens will get different answers. The problem is that aliens are not required to ask the same questions.

To be sure the aliens can think in very different ways. But even the way that human beings think varies quite a bit and not everyone even asks the same questions. And this still applies when we listen or read the text of Genesis especially when we are talking about a time and culture without public education with a required curriculum which tends to make everyone ask some of the same questions and think in some of the same ways.

As many as there are questions, which is frankly greater than the number of atoms in the universe.

From necessity. All knowledge requires that we take something on faith.

From Christ, the Word of God, and the Bible.

See how they deny the text which says “on the earth” not “in the garden” in the verse you quoted?

They claim to believe Genesis literally while literally denying what it says.

1 Like

I believe in all this.

What about your stance in Young Earth Creationism vs Evolution Theory?

Id think that Jesus being very intelligent would readily
understand that yec is nonsense.

1 Like

There is Faith, faith, and there’s equivocation.

Explain Astrid

:thinking: can you explain Astrid?

Pistis was a goddess in the Greek pantheon.

The word is variously used for a quality in us, or action by us, or for the object in which we put our faith.

Heb 12:2, part of a sentence.
Heb 2 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

In this case it is speaking of that which we put our faith in.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such there is no law.
Here it is in a list of aspect of character derived from the things we do. And the point is not to say that we are not responsible for these things but that God is working to change us from the bad habits of sin to the good habits which make for a good life. I certainly do not believe these are things inserted into us by magic but rather are things which God has us learn by the trials and experiences which He gives us in life.

James 2:14 is part of an extensive explanation which says nothing like what Kelli claims.
James 2:14 What does it profit, my brethren, if a man says he has faith but has not works? Can his faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is ill-clad and in lack of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead. 18 But some one will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith.

Faith according to James is seen in what WE do, and not something done to us.

1 Corinthians 12:9 is part of an explanation of spiritual gifts which is clearly not talking about the same thing as these other passages. The same word is quite often used for very different things. This is obvious because the other is speaking of something we all must have and this is talking about things which are different in different people. Some people do have extra-ordinary faith.

1 Corinthians 12:7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

Acts 14:9,10 certainly says nothing of the kind.

Acts 14:8 Now at Lystra there was a man sitting, who could not use his feet; he was a cripple from birth, who had never walked. 9 He listened to Paul speaking; and Paul, looking intently at him and seeing that he had faith to be made well, 10 said in a loud voice, “Stand upright on your feet.” And he sprang up and walked.

Romans 10:17 follows and explanation which distinguishes legalism from faith.

Romans 10:5 Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is based on the law shall live by it. 6 But the righteousness based on faith says, Do not say in your heart, “Who will ascend into heaven?” (that is, to bring Christ down) 7 or “Who will descend into the abyss?” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).

Thus we are shown that living by faith means doing what is right and good for its own sake rather than to curry favor with God in expectation of rewards. Romans 10:17 is speaking of having faith in the things taught to us by Christian preachers.

Ahh! You mean sort of like what you are doing with the word “equivocation.”

Explaining what meaning you find in a highly vague and complex word with a great variety of uses is not the same thing as the fallacy which replaces another person’s usage of the word with a different meaning in order to change the meaning of the things which he says. The simple fact is that I do not believe in some magical thing inserted into people by the Holy Spirit which converts them into Xtian ideologues with the power to save themselves and I certainly do not read the word in the Bible with such a meaning just because you do.

But I thought we were supposed to take Genesis literally?

In Genesis 1 God makes animals first and then makes man.

In Genesis 2 God makes man first and then makes animals.

Why not read what the Bible says instead of turning to Answers in Genesis?

It sounds to me like you are taking Answers in Genesis literally and not the Bible.

Alice in Wonderland tried to believe six impossible things before breakfast, and maybe that’s what we should do.

3 Likes

Thank you so much @Kelli.

I never meant to belittle or discredit our Christian brothers and sisters who sincerely believe in the Young Earth Creationism.

Here is just an exchange so we can understand each other’s stance.

And, to clarify misunderstandings that might have happened.

Please also understand that many of Christians who adhere to theistic evolution view do believe in Christ, believe in His resurrection, ascension, and salvation.

Many Christian brothers, unfortunately, fail to recognize that part.

And, so many times directly judge as as Atheists.

No body at that time period knew the age of the Earth, let alone the Universe.
The highest achievement at that time was the measurement of the Earth’s circumference and radius by Eratosthenes of Cyrene in 240 BC.

If Jesus would know the mistakes of Young Earth Creationism, it would come from God or His divine nature.

Late to the post, with 123 replies in 21 hours-Wow. But, my answer is yes, Jesus probably believed in a young earth and 6 day creation, because he was a man of his age, fully human and that is what he knew and was taught. However, there is a little more to it than that, as he did have unusual wisdom and insight, and I think he would have told you also that Genesis is not about physical creation and timing of the earth’s existence. He may have said something like,’You have heard it said that the earth and heavens number 6000 years, but I say that years can not measure God’s creation”.

7 Likes

Mitchell,
Here is a PDF teaching of what I have been sharing. If you are not at all ministered by it, that is fine. I would rather end my part of this discussion. But I have just a few more replies to make.

It’s okay, Fernando.
Thank you for your comment.

1 Like

Understand Fernando

1 Like

Why would Jesus, before or after the resurrection, know anything of nonexistent trivia?

Thank you so much, Phil @jpm.

What a great forum to discuss and to share views.

I found Theistic Evolution as particularly important because of the adverse effects of Young Earth Creationism on Christians progress and development.

Young Earth Creationism is de facto view adhered to by majority of Christians in the developing world and, indeed, the one that set them back from progressing and developing.

And, BioLogos Forum is a great place to share.

No. It is called “Young Earth Creationism” because it is presented in opposition to Old Earth Creation. Before geologists worked out the great age of the earth it was simply “Creation”. So yes it is a very recent notion.

3 Likes