Danica McKellar on becoming a mathematician

My sister-in-law showed me this video of Danica McKellar talking about taking an advanced math class in college when everyone (including herself) thought she was supposed to go into acting, and how that opened up a whole new path for her. It was a good conversation starter with my kids about how you don’t always know what you’re going to be good at in life. You need to keep trying things, even if you might think it’s too hard for you, or not what people expect you to try. It’s also good for talking about how girls especially don’t always picture themselves in STEM fields, but that doesn’t mean they might not be great in them.

1 Like

I didn’t recognize the name in the thread’s title AT ALL.

There are probably more people like me …

McKellar has authored several mathematics-related books primarily targeting adolescent readers interested in succeeding at the study of mathematics:

McKellar, Danica; Mary Lynn Blasutta (2008). Math Doesn’t Suck: How to Survive Middle School Math without Losing Your Mind or Breaking a Nail. New York: Plume (publisher). ISBN 9780452289499.

McKellar, Danica (2009). Kiss My Math: Showing Pre-Algebra Who’s Boss. New York: Plume. ISBN 9780452295407.

McKellar, Danica (2010). Hot X: Algebra Exposed. New York: Plume. ISBN 9780452297197.
McKellar, Danica (2012). Girls Get Curves: Geometry Takes Shape. New York: Hudson Street Press. ISBN 9781594630941.

Her first book, Math Doesn’t Suck: How to Survive Middle School Math without Losing Your Mind or Breaking a Nail, was a New York Times bestseller,[2] and was favorably reviewed by Tara C. Smith, the founder of Iowa Citizens for Science and a professor of epidemiology at the University of Iowa.[26] The book also received a review from Anthony Jones, writing for the School Librarian journal, who described the book as “a trouble-shooting guide to help girls overcome their biggest maths challenges,” noting what he described as “real-world examples of great mathematics in action.”

And speaking of actresses, Mayim Bialik Explains How Science and Religion Can Co-Exist.

I saw that on FB. :slight_smile: Same sister-in-law posted it.

The Wonder Years is pretty much my favorite series ever. I have watched through it twice in recent years on NetFlix. I love Winnie Cooper! I knew Danica McKellar was into math, but didn’t know about her books. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like