Cultures making different Gods (and religion being created to control people)

Why? Can you name one?

I love understatement.

Big topic… especially since your comment did nothing to narrow it down to what in particular did I say which interested you.

Here is one general look at the topic.

The general rule is that there are no general rules. New religions seem to cross every boundary and definition imaginable. It seems to just be a part of the whole range of human creativity like when creating anything else. You only really start seeing rules and commonalities when you look at which ones succeed and survive.

The bridge to the second generation is one of the really big challenges they all face and you can find that in the study of the history of religion in America. New religions escaped the persecution in Europe, but a religion of converts and a religion of the next generation raised by those converts are two very different things. They all had to decide what they were going to do with the next generation. It was challenging enough when they were free to create their own society. Most new religions don’t have that luxury.

To me Christianity offers that internal coherence, but it is surely not what most people think of as Christianity

At its best Christianity is internally coherent, yes, and the ultimate adjunct to reality. But it’s best is not what even most of its adherents are free to believe.

1 Like

I would say that at bottom, much of religion came about through man’s numinous experiences with the natural world and his anthropocentric attempt to rationalize them. Now this certainly wasn’t always the case; some religions have formed from the intentions of powerful people (or perhaps demons, though that is much harder to prove). However, there is no reason to believe that the whole thing got started from a couple of mustache-twirling cavemen seeking to make Grug do their bidding.

1 Like

This was always the case, certainly for the first 80-400,000 years (as long as we’ve been talking). ‘Civilized’ religion of the past 5 is a by-product of settlement. It’s still church-state, shaman-chief. It has absolutely nothing to do causally with ‘demons’ any more than it has to do with divine intervention.

Hi Marvin, can you explain a bit what you mean by this? Thanks.

Hello Martin,
What is this “best”? Would you please explain?
Thanks.

Best is shorn of evil for a start. Damnationism, sexism, patriarchy, homophobia, racism, placism, ignorance, arrogance, intellectual dishonesty, anti-intellectualism - both whilst claiming intellectuality, literalism to any degree due to the historical-grammatic method.

We then make up the best from what’s left. Nature and Jesus. Himself shorn of any of the above.

1 Like

Thank you for explaining.
@Klax , you often mention Jesus. He seems to be the last part of Christianity left to you. Who is he? What makes him believable?
Thanks.

1 Like

For a start recognizing that there is only one meaning of righteousness. Social justice.

1 Like

I pursue Christianity from a logical and scientific point of view. To demand internal coherence in a worldview leads you to an entirely different understanding of Jesus that you will commonly find. A logical Christ is not born in an act of magic that is irrational and an exemption to nature but in agreement with it. I do not admire a God that can outmanoeuvre reality because his reality is not logically coherent but a God that can create a coherent reality. So I do not belive in a God that does magic tricks to impress us but that shows us how love and logic is the defeater of all evil. His miracles show us how his word can turn acts of hate and oppression into bacons of love and hope by living his word.
So when Jesus turned water into wine he did IMO not make fine booze to impress the materialistic inclined but showed me that the water of purification is the most valuable wine I can ever receive as it is the water of life that no amount of alcohol can compete with. Jesus for me was not a man who created a fake reality to impress the gullible but a man who transformed reality in a way that puts our materialistic / physicalist worldview to shame.

2 Likes

@Kendel and no, I do not believe Jesus was a social justice warrior , not that nodded to everyone to tell them their lifestyle was okay as an expression of his love to everyone.

is a good lecture on that one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Marvin,

Thank you for explaining your view on Jesus as well as the nature of what I would call miracles.

I was a Christian long before I knew much about science, and I certainly know much less about science than a lot of people here. I’m sure you are way past me there. I am grateful that God provides salvation through His Son for both the wise as well as the foolish.

Regarding the term “magic”, I recommend handling it with care. I, too, have used it flippantly in conversations with Lutheran friends regarding baptism. My view of baptism, at the time, was nearly as materialistic as I understand your view of whatever happened (or didn’t) to that water in your description. My friends were far more patient and gracious than I was. They tolerated my outburst with love.

But “magic” really is a fairly technical term, which has to do with human attempts to manipulate the metaphysical. It is closely related with gnosis. Attributing it to God in the way you do, as a criticism of fellow followers of Jesus, does not fit your own aspirations to turn acts of hate and oppression into beacons of love and hope by his living word. I recommend that you find a different approach to discussing these differences.

Some of your fellow Christians understand God to have power over his own universe that is his to handle as He sees fit, and who chooses in what manner he sees fit, to make Himself known to the foolish of us, who otherwise would be unaware of his presence.

I would be interested in knowing more about the way you have come to your understanding of who Jesus is.

Thanks.

And why is God difficult to understand in your opinion? Because he can’t present himself more clearly to us, humans, or because he’s unwilling to do that?

Oops. I missed this earlier. Thanks. I will catch up and read the article you shared.

Nice and brief. Clear.
So, what do you think were Jesus’s role and purpose, however you want to describe it? How did/will he accomplish it. Etc.

I think it has more to do with us – we’re material and temporal, and that will always limit our understanding.

1 Like

I was about to say something similar but from a secular standpoint. I think

may be because that which gives rise to God belief isn’t an individual being at all and doesn’t use language the way we do. Or maybe because what it is does, how it does it, and why it does what it does is just not something we are equipped to make sense of. Frankly I don’t think what has given rise to God belief is omni-anything, but I do think it knows more about what matters in our lives than we do.

1 Like