Creation Photos Around the World

Yes, it’s incredible!

1 Like

The Devil’s Walking Stick “ Aralia spinosa “ thorny trunk.

I believe it’s a weevil trapped in a spiders egg web.

Some heart shaped foliage of a vine.

Red and green semi evergreen leaf of the Swamp Titi

Underneath viewing of the veins of a spicebush.

Neat shot of a small pond.

Red Buckeye.

Christmas Lichen

Probably my favorite, if not second favorite scented leaf. It’s the leaf of the Carolina Laurel Cherry. It’s toxic. But when the leaves are crushed they have a strong cherry smell.

4 Likes

Turkey-lined snow fence… on both sides (one waving ; - ).

4 Likes

On Lake Michigan tonight …the catwalk to the lighthouse runs out on the right, but snow blew horizontally in serpentlike, undulating waves on the sand and parking lot. My mom and daughter and I loved it, along with a lot of others who lined their cars up for the view.

On a run Thursday evening in the neighborhood woods

3 Likes

I envy your woods and dramatic landscapes, though everyplace has its beauty. I am reading Andrew Peterson’s. The God of the Garden, and his writing of trees and woods and paths make me long for those.

1 Like

I am sure that others would agree that we appreciate your attention to beautiful detail in photos around your area, as well!

Simply spectacular and awe inspiring, @Randy . I especially like the first one!

I wonder if my library is going to carry this. Well I can always request it if they don’t.

1 Like

What the heck, here are a few garden shots from late this morning. If we’re part of creation I guess it belongs. Someone let me know if I have this wrong. The red flowers belong to one of the largest salvias (wagneriana), the cactus is Cleistocactus ‘Strausii’ and the tallest are at least 8 feet tall now.

These big leaves belong to a cloud forest daisy called Telanthophora grandifolia with the popular name “Giant Groundsel”. It grows about twenty feet tall. The sheen comes from dew and its flowers are beginning to color up.

I don’t know which spider makes this web and I didn’t see her but I liked how it looked. This is an Australian plant which is just coming back from dropping all its foliage. It is a small plant and web.

7 Likes

Gorgeous! I hope someday to get a personal tour of your garden!

2 Likes

It would be entirely my pleasure. You know how much we gardeners love to share ours spaces with other gardeners and plant lovers.

2 Likes

Beautiful sunrise.

3 Likes

My favorite time in the day.

1 Like

Anyone know what this bush is? @MarkD ? The bees love these flowers!

3 Likes

Per the Seek app, Chinese Quince:

3 Likes

On the USDA plant mapping systems it’s showing up as a introduced escaped non native plant to Mendocino county.
What’s crazy is that on INaturalist it’s not been listed yet for USA. But when looking at a zoomed out map it shows up as potentially fairly picky on where it does well. But INaturalist is sometimes lacking on distribution. But the places in Japan and China that it seems native too is fairly parallel with mid California.

https://plants.usda.gov/home/plantProfile?symbol=PSSI4

If you use INaturalist though it would be a great plant to add so that others could try to track its spread. Seems like it has a low invasive risk. But never know. Plus potential pathogens that stick to the rose family could develop.

1 Like

True, though IIRC this is because distribution maps only shows research grade wild records. Horticultural plants recorded in gardens and similar are usually marked ‘Captive Bred’ by reviewers on iNat and so are pulled from the maps.

2 Likes

Yeah. I’ve noticed that as well. I always have to get multiple pics, including further back to show it’s in the wild. I guess she could be at a garden. Becsuse I always hike I always instantly thinking of plants in the wild.

Early on I picked up this one at the botanical garden on the UC Berkeley campus but don’t know the cultivar name.

What I liked about it is that the flowers started out white and darkened over time at different rates so that you could have a mixture on one stalk like this.

It formed a medium sized shrubs. The area I had it in was sunny for a good while but has since become shady both from my own trees and the those in the park just beyond. So I’ve tried on multiple occasions to remove it rather than watch it languish in the shade but it always comes back. If it were to escape in our climate I don’t think it would spread quickly but it would be hard to remove where not wanted.

The pinkish color in this photo seen through the metal archway belongs to its flowers. The photo was taken more than twenty years ago before the garden was really well defined.

1 Like

I love the way the tan stubble pokes through the snow in alternating angles. It reminds me of a Wyeth painting.

5 Likes

This arrived in my latest Blue Apron meal box – it’s a Romanesco cauliflower (among other names). It pretty much demanded a macro lens treatment.

7 Likes