Creation Photos Around the World

He’ll no doubt get off with a couple bounds and a double back flip. I’ll bet he cussed you out the whole time too.

2 Likes

What’s funny but also true. If I have two more squirrels steal from me and this is the third time actually, I’ll officially have been robbed by squirrels more than by people. At least successfully. Lol.

2 Likes

As meat goes, squirrel is not the most polluting to produce by a long shot! Labor intensive of course.

I had some as a kid. I don’t remember the taste. But Ill never know since I’ve stopped eating meat a long time ago. Well over a decade.

Squirrels are a bit crazy. I’ve seen squirrels eating baby chicks in the nests still. I wonder if it will become a growing trend and they will slowly work towards being more omnivorous or not. What’s best to me is the convergent evolutionary forms of squirrels and our ancestors the Purgatorius. “Possibly a proto primate species. So it makes me wonder if in a few hundred million descendants will there be humanoid squirrel descendants lol.

As for eating weird things there was a deer caught eating human remains. I seen pictures years ago of a deer eating a rabbit corpse.

1 Like

Pine tree spur throat grasshopper (Melanoplus punctulatus) and an unusual kind of fungus I found growing out of a stump this morning

1 Like

I see your shots were taken on the equator! :wink:

1 Like

It kind of reminds me of some kind of Ramaria. I don’t know that type enough though. I also believe there are several others that look similar to that genus. If you knew what it was growing on it could make it easier to ID. I tell my witches butter species apart by what they are growing on lol.

1 Like

Interesting! Thanks. I think this was growing on a pine stump, as it was in a pine grove, but I’m not sure. I have seen them growing alone, in wet ground, too.

Sometimes when we see mushrooms growing out of the ground it could be on a underground stump or roots or even a large limb that’s been covered over the years and decaying.

Many mushrooms are host specific. Just like how many plants are reliant on specific mycorrhizal associations.

1 Like

Likely that’s the case. It was only 6 feet from the woods, and that place is also full of roots. Good insight. Thanks.

Dozens of plant species in this photos. But the main ones I like is the American beauty berry, the slash pine, and the goldenrod.

In the first pic it’s harder to see. Barely caught the white mouthed threat of a cottonmouth mouth snake in the grass.

The second picture is mid leap of a angry snapping turtle trying to bite me.

3 Likes

Here is the local flora in my backyard on a cloudy day along with my latest local fauna.

5 Likes

Cute pup. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

They didn’t even tell me that harness would double as a chew toy. :wink:

3 Likes

Haha. When our collie was getting adult teeth through EVERYTHING doubled as a chew toy!

2 Likes

Fortunately her mouth is very soft. I still let her take my fingers in her mouth. My older dog is finally engaging her and teaching her the hard way to moderate her bite. When they play she never yelps but he does and it has the desired effect.

It feels wasteful in a way to keep such a good working dog just to be a house pet. But I’ve had four herders in a row now - an Australian Shepherd, heeler cross, 50/50 aussie/heeler and now this McNab. I just love their minds and desire to work with me. It’s also a commitment to stay active for me. I’ve been curious to get to know a border collie better and that’s the largest part of what she is.

2 Likes

There is much animal biting on the thread this week!

:laughing:. I’ve been going on puppy play dates and it seems they all do but some moderate better. One got me pretty deep when I picked up my girl and it ripped when I pulled away. Better now.

3 Likes

My backyard. I really enjoy living in the woods. Though soon I’ll begin to remove the invasive plants again and landscaping it. Will begin a rhododendron collection of alabama native species , got a connection for some ozark chinquapins and will also begin collecting over 20 native species of ferns. Lots of spring ephemerals. About 20 feet back it begins to slope about 12 feet down to a creek that leads into Alabama’s Wolf bay which opens up into the Gulf of Mexico. Going to fix the bank as well and start working with River Watchers to try to introduce freshwater clams and snails back into the creek in stronger numbers. Running lots of sedges snd other plants along the banks too.

It’s hard to tell but the trees are all typically around 35-60 feet tall.

The last pic with the ladder is looking towards the front yard. It helps show how much taller the trees are. It will always be a bit wild but will be a lot more functional and beautiful in the future.

2 Likes

While hiking I found some jelly ear mushrooms and so I brought them back and sliced them adding them to this potato and corn cream soup I made.

A nice woodland swampy area to hike if you’re ok with lots of snakes, spiders and slippery muddy spots. I enjoy it but it’s not for everyone.

I enjoyed watching the sun set between the tree lines forming the trail.

I do wish I took time and made black bean , sweet onion and jalapeño cornbread to eat the soup with.

5 Likes