Creation Photos Around the World

(That was Mark’s. :slightly_smiling_face:)

Hum. Thought I had clicked on Mark’s post. That pic of the Cardinal flower of Randy’s is nice, too. The weather here has turned dry, and everything is brown so the green and color is nice to see.

2 Likes

Where I’m at everything is still pretty much full swing and alive despite it being 101-105°f most hikes and 74+ humidity. Lots of beautiful colors though.

5 Likes

Nice. I’m glad we don’t have millipedes that big here, though!

What an eye you have for nature. All that found on one walk I’ll bet. What in the world has stuck all those sticks together. It looks like a butterfly decided to upgrade the materials used for its chrysalis.

3 Likes

The collection of sticks is the Bagworm Moth Caterpillar.
The millipede was about 3.5 inches long.

4 Likes

I thought it was a sick one at first. But then it flew up into the tree above like a fledgling might. Didn’t see a parent around though. I do hope it makes it through the night. It is pretty balmy out here but those little guys need a lot of fuel. If it isn’t being fed I don’t think it is strong enough to feed itself yet. Well hopefully it will be okay but then none of us last forever.

1 Like

This, I think:

https://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Oiketicus-abbotii

1 Like

Ah, I didn’t see that before my reply.

1 Like

Sometime soon I hope to start taking scuba diving classes as well. I really want to dive down to the reefs, and dive down to the uncovered forest 60 miles off the coast. I want to see some hammerhead sharks really bad. I have a handful of marine biologist friends and so I’ll be able to borrow some cool cameras for under water.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

Utterly gorgeous border collie pup, MarkD. They are such clever, faithful, and cheeky dogs!

2 Likes

The second picture looks like what we called “love vine” growing up. It is a parasitic plant, and in west texas grew in pastures. Folk lore was that if you picked a strand and threw it in the wind, whichever way the strand pointed toward when it fell to earth was the direction that your future spouse lived in. I’m not sure how you could tell which end was the direction, but imagine it relied on user preference. whttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassytha_filiformis

2 Likes

It’s a species of dodder. I just don’t know which one because we have around 6 species of dodder here and the differences are something I’ve not learned, especially when not flowering. But it is a plant killer.

1 Like

Dodder! That was the real name given but more commonly called love vine. Thanks! Cuscuta - Wikipedia

2 Likes

The little blossom in the middle of the second photo is kind of unexpected and fun.

2 Likes

Finding myself with a free afternoon (the boys have gone to stay with grandparents), I decided to head out on a walk. I had planned to walk the 10 miles from our home in the New Forest, along the Avon Valley Way to surprise my wife when she finished work. Alas, my old man knee stared playing up and she had to come rescue me after 7 miles. Not quite as romantic!

Still saw some beautiful sights in our new back garden. Including wild donkeys that make the New Forest their home (along with cows and horses), a kestrel, some banded damselflies, red admirals, and speckled wood butterflies.

7 Likes

That sounds like an idyllic place. Thank you for the photo! Only in England would “new” qualify as from 1000 years ago, being started by William the Conqueror! (I had to look it up) New Forest - Wikipedia
. That puts things in perspective for me.

3 Likes

Haha… yeah, it is weird to think that we have a
National Park that is older than your country!

3 Likes

Too bad you all didn’t proclaim the whole place a national, Royal park while you had the chance.

1 Like

This is a good image showing the silk of the golden silk orb weaver coming out of her spinneret.

2 Likes