Creation Photos Around the World

That’s the result of the fact that all the light is coming not directly from the star but from the corona plus scattered light from the areas outside of totality. The effect is slightly different depending how close to the edge of the totality zone you’re watching from.

3 Likes

The more line-like light source making shadows much sharper in one direction than the other is also a big part of it.

2 Likes

Lichen on our driveway wall after rain:

3 Likes

Interesting to know! Always happy to see plants and animals increase their range in this human dominated world. When we were in the UK in 2008 we went to a place with an alee of giant sequoias which really surprised and delighted me. These are the largest trees by mass on the planet, leastwise the ones growing in the our Sierras where they’ve had the requisite centuries to attain full size. But an alee of them grown in a garden setting for a century and a half if mighty impressive.

My own photos from there are not that impressive but those that I’ve linked are better.

It wasn’t on my list of gardens to see but fortunately they also have a well thought of art collection and had a show up that Lia was keen to see. So I was lucky to stumble on to them.

Here is another link to a bit on the very largest of the clan and largest tree in the world. Apparently I misspoke regarding the centuries required to become full size. Millenia is more like it.

3 Likes

I came accross thiis creature in a small Oasis (Zoo) on the way back from The Lake District

It’s from Madagascar. Their largest carnivore

I had never come across them before.
(The name is in the picture title)

Richard

3 Likes

I had a bit of photographic success yesterday afternoon, wandering around the yard and property. I’m grateful God gives us the ability to find beauty and enjoy it.

I went a little crazy with the daffodils. And this is only a few of the photos I took. The lighting was just right. I could hardly stop.

Look closely at the top flower below.

There were a few of these bees humming around me. They were enormous. Until I looked at the photos, I thought they were carpenter bees, but I think they were “just” bumble bees after all. At least an inch long.

I love this different view of the bee stretched out.

The iris leaves looked amazing in this light.

I had a hard time leaving the shades of purple and pink. And the perfume was intoxicating.

Fairly invasive hawthorns are common on our property. Wicked thorns, but they will smell beautiful when they bloom. The birds enjoy the protection for their nests.

Man grooming nature.

Walnut trees grow all over the area. I love how something else has sprouted inside the empty nut shell.

Lots of animal tracks around. This one is near a sheltered spot with lots of brush. The deer hang out here and work on the next year’s crop of fawns.

My next project with the plant books.

Moss calls to be photographed. I love mosses.

I learned sensitive fern a few years ago. These are the repro parts. The rest of the plant has died away. The leaves are really beautiful, when they come out.

Vines vs. a very tough tree.

A trifecta of grape, poison ivy and Virginia creeper

4 Likes

I think it’s the Carpenter Bee .

3 Likes

We had some Virginia creeper come up in a flower bed, and thought it pretty. Now think it pretty awful. I dig it out and it keeps coming.

2 Likes

It IS pretty. Out in the woods.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure. The tail end wasn’t smooth and shiny like they usually are. But they were enormous to be bumble bees.

Thanks.

And WHERE is @LM77 these days. I’ve got bugs here for him.

1 Like

Wondering if he is gone. I’ve not seen him anymore period for a while.

2 Likes

Really liked this shot of Tracey sundews and pipeworts.
Other shots from today on my short hike.

Also ate about 200 blackberries today. Tomorrow I think I’ll take a basket and collect a lot more. wont be buying any for months lol. Blueberries are almost here too.

5 Likes

I’ve never seen them grow so low. We have loads on our property, but they grow on wickedly barbed canes that curl and loll gracefully here and there, waiting to dig their claws into any passer by.

2 Likes

In my county there are 4 species of blackberry/dewberries. About 10 total in Alabama. 2 of them are not native and found outside of cultivation. Within this same genus, excluding hybrids, we also have the American raspberry which is a Rubus sp. also. Globally, there are close to 1500 species. We have some here that are kind of shruby vines. They grow in clumps with more woody bases and so they kind of stand up. We also have the creeper kinds. I forget which is which. The ones that stand up are either called blackberry/dewberry and the other is the left over name.

Often mulberries are confused for them. Though they are in the same order. Not sure if it’s convergence or basal form of an older species .

As a kid I use to collect them and put fistfuls in a bowl, mash them up a bit, add some cereal and milk and eat a ridiculous amount of it lol. Had so many we use to collect 5 gallon buckets worth just as treats for our horses.

Found some paper discussing them.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/nsl/Wpsm/Rubus.pdf

2 Likes

Some crocuses, trout lilies and spring beauty.

That is pretty impressive, @SkovandOfMitaze. My cousins, who lived near sandy dunes, had beautiful, huge, ground based and climbing dewberries, but I have never seen them elsewhere. @Kendel , thank you for the lovely photos!

2 Likes

Got the newly released “Boletes of Eastern North America” key and guide book.

3 Likes

From my hike yesterday.

4 Likes

Those ferns!!!

As always, your photos are utterly captivating!

1 Like

Various spring flowers

6 Likes

I love the little wild violets. I need to find some to steal seeds from and strew in the yard.
And that magnolia!!!

2 Likes