Creation Photos Around the World

Farm across the street in the morning, and Rose Campion growing wild in our woods… I used @jpm 's app, “Seek,” to identify it.

4 Likes

On the other end of pretty bright mornings is a pretty dark evening. Very windy. Wish I had my kayak with me today so I could just ride out there and enjoy the turmoil. Backstroked a riptide once out to about 800 feet into the ocean before it looked back around towards the coast. What was really neat was on the way back in about 400 feet out there was a small sandbar about 3 feet below the way that went about 100 feet and was like 6 feet wide.

4 Likes

Another lovely wolf spider and some other species I have no idea what it is.

2 Likes

Grand daddy long legs on the porch

2 Likes

@SkovandOfMitaze Not sure about the first one, but the second wolf spider looks like a Pardosa sp. to me.

@jpm love it! We call them Harvestmen here in the UK since the males scuttle around looking for a lady during the autumn (trans: fall :wink:).

1 Like

It’s a red striped spider. I looked it up after posting.

Red Stripe Spider - Castianeira crocata - BugGuide.Net

1 Like

Almost stepped on something brown and sticky this morning

I should have placed something for scale as body probably about 12cm long

3 Likes

About a week ago while sitting in this chair I was approached by a charming juveniile Tiger Moth, Lophocampa maculata. (Not that I would have known that without a friend telling me.) A cousin said I should avoid those longer hairs as they can be an irritant. But after trying to move it by getting it to crawl on my phone and having it hop off, I just scooped it up and tried to put it on something it might like. No harm to me.

https://youtu.be/G8Mgmpirkqs

1 Like

Just in time for the 4th of July… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Are these “low bush” blueberries? I remember eating them while hiking in Acadia N.P. Good stuff. The wife and I also snuck in a quick skinny dip in a pond on that hike. It was hard to be sure we were entirely discrete but I think we made a clean escape.

2 Likes

Yep! We’ve had them springing up on a hillside next to our house and my husband’s trying to cultivate them to get more. There are several small mountains around here where you can find them wild. We went to Acadia about 7 years ago – I don’t remember blueberries, but it was a beautiful place. Glad you were not “caught” in your indiscretion. :wink:

1 Like

Maybe that sign was not a typo that read “Watch out for bares.”

1 Like

Not sure who all here is a fan of cranes, I think maybe @Dale and @Randy at least. But there is a webinar on Zoom on Thursday, July 9 at 11 a.m. Central time on Whooping cranes and their interaction with Sandhill cranes this spring/summer of 2020 in Wisconsin. It is free. It is the second, bottom event on this page: https://www.savingcranes.org/from-field-webinar-series/

3 Likes

Cranes are neat. We see and hear Sandhills cranes as they migrate, and I once saw a whooping crane near my house as we are in the migration pattern for the colony that winters on the Texas coast.
Here is another other species of walking stick found on the porch eating bugs, and a house gecko that was keeping it companyimage

3 Likes

I found some hairy huckleberries today. Are just a handful but to me they are always the sweetest.

I was also lucky today and found some oyster mushrooms and a single “old man of the woods” mushroom so I’ll cook them tomorrow and have mushroom and tomato biscuits.

Also found some cute little baby jumping spiders not yet completely out of their “nest” under a reed leaf.

Was hiking through a mixed wood forest with ferns as the dominating ground cover.

It’s definitely an area not for the faint of heart if they hate spiders and snakes .Even trying to be careful, I ended up with probably 15 spiders on me throughout the few hours I was there.

4 Likes

Do you get spider bites? I have learned that heat is a great itch reliever that gives several hours of relief. Hot tap water may be hot enough if you can get where it can run directly on the bite. I had a little poison ivy between two fingers several years back, and tap water worked great.

Also back a couple of years, we had some male grass spiders (the females are funnel-web weavers) get into the house – just one could give several bites, and they itched like crazy! An coffee cup immersion heater in a cup of water and a large table setting spoon worked great. Just start with quick touches and don’t give yourself a second-degree burn(!) …which I have done, but not too badly.

2 Likes

Another way to use heat is to use a hair dryer on the itchy area. Works great!

1 Like

I hadn’t thought of that … would also have the advantage of removing the risk of scalding. Of course water would deliver more heat faster … but still, air wouldn’t get clothing wet or require one to get into the shower either!

That’s a good idea! (One that makes me ask myself, “Duh?” :slightly_smiling_face:)

I’ve not been bitten to many times. It did not itch to much.

1 Like