Creation Photos Around the World

This is a primrose, or so I’m told.

4 Likes

Sunset from my garden view

4 Likes

Grandkids having a great time catching grasshoppers.

5 Likes

A mockingbird was my first thought too, although the beak seems shorter than I would expect. I haven’t seen one for decades, though. They don’t come as far west as I am.

Did you see it fly? The tail is distinctive.

Death… I wonder if over times some will have a mutation of a armored belly.

2 Likes

Would anyone believe me if I told them I started off getting pictures of the murder and then it resurrected into a love story and not the other way around lol.

3 Likes

This little fella was crossing my front yard. The creek in back is drying up as it does every summer, and it appears he was looking for new horizons. A red eared slider I think. I am using an app called Seek that my daughter showed me. Pretty good at identifying bugs and stuff.

6 Likes

Neat! Thanks. I have been looking for something like that. Cute turtle.

This one is the Strobilomyces floccopus known as the old man of the woods. I found a larger one and about five smaller ones today. They are edible and I like them. A chewy texture. What’s cool, and the pics show it but not as neat as a video, is that when you slice it “bruise it” it will go from white and blushing pink within seconds. The pictures shows a 40 second span. After a few minutes that are normally dark red and eventually becomes a dark black. It was fun hiking through a woodland about 250 years old ( a young forest ) and finding these. They blend in really well with the leaf litter. Often have to find them under tony raised beds of leaves.

3 Likes

I’d recommend checking out www.inaturalist.org and the app of the same name. The app suggestions are really good, and your entries are then confirmed by members of the community (which is also fun). Best of all, iNat data feeds into research and the like so you are doing your bit for science too! :muscle:t2:

User beware! So addictive!

2 Likes

I just came across this photo of an online friend from my old days sharing photos on flickr where she went by HelgaB. She lived in Iceland, I’m not sure exactly where, but she was in her seventies then and took a lot interesting photos of their very young geology, ice and snow. But she also made a garden which always struck me as a miraculous thing to do in such a place. This was my favorite of her photos of her garden:

But my favorite of her photos was of the many forms which ice takes there. On flickr you can make what are called galleries of other people’s photos. I wonder if any of you live where you get to see interesting forms of ice? Maybe @Randy or @Laura? This is the link to that gallery:

Imgur

4 Likes

Those are beautiful! Yes, when ice is in the process of melting, or when an ice storm hits, you can often find lovely formations of ice, and even ordinary things look a lot more magical when covered in ice – I went through a phase when I was very interested in photographing them. I can only seem to find one at the moment…

older

3 Likes

Those are amazing; thanks. I like the Icelandic labels too–“Isfingur” --“ice fingers”!
I did take quite a few photos of ice last Fall; I’ll have to dig them out. Do you ever get a hard frost?

1 Like

Occasionally a thin layer of ice in the back of the truck or on the dog’s outside water bowl. Cool for around here. :wink:

1 Like

Just noticed Seek is produced by inaturalist. A widow spider just saw under the eave of the house It doesn’t have the usual red hourglass on the abdomen but otherwise looks like the black widows around here.

2 Likes

Great stuff! Welcome to the club. You’ll be setting up trail cameras in your garden before you know it!

Great spider too. Certainly a ‘widow’ but couldn’t say which one. Did Seek give you any clues?

It could be the Steatoda grossa.

1 Like

No additional clues may try some other views.

Interesting. I was going to suggest a Steatoda species initially, but not being familiar with US spiders I was unsure if you had them ‘over there’.

It could be S. grossa. Although in Britain’s Spiders (2018) Bee et al note that S. nobilis has a dark form that looks identical to S. grossa. Long story short, the two species can’t be reliably seperated without a microscopic examination of the epigyne.

2 Likes

We have a few species of false widows in USA. We also have widows that don’t always have strong markings.