Creation is like Digital Art

When it comes to discussing creation and evolution, an analogy that I like is that of digital art.

If you’re unfamiliar with digital art, instead of drawing on a paper with pen or paint, artists can use a pen tablet to draw completely in the computer. They use virtual brushes to create art that is just as complex and beautiful as traditional art, and in many cases it is even more so because of the extra tools that the computer provides to an artist. Now when a traditional artist creates a painting, it is already a physical canvas, but if a digital artist wants to hang his painting on the wall, he must first print it out. This involves using a printer, an intricate machine which follows exact machine code to precisely place very small dots on the paper and so produce a physical print of the artist’s work.

I think in many ways, our universe is like digital art. We are living on the canvas. When we look closely we see a canvas made up of small dots of ink. Regularly arranged and spaced. Our scientists have determined that the dots were arranged by a mechanical process, following a machine code called “natural law”, and that while at first glance we may appear to see brushstrokes in our canvas, it is all just dots when you look closely. The creationists object and argue with them, saying that there are no dots. They’re adamant that because God is an artist, and artists, so they say, always create in brushstrokes, there can be no dots. Furthermore, anyone who believes there are dots, cannot believe there is an artist. But the dots are evident to anyone who looks closely, and so people loose their faith.

Yet when we see the truth, that God created not only the painting, but the computer and printer as well, we are filled with even greater awe at the power and intelligence of our Creator. We shouldn’t argue over whether there are brushstrokes or dots of ink: because they are not mutually exclusive.

All is brushstrokes, all is dots, and it all declares the glory of God.

I can see it. I think the obvious question then becomes ‘why?’ Why all the extra when a brush and canvass works just fine? The analogy still works, just continuing the conversation.

Jim

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.