Connections between New Calvinism and YEC

Here’s something sort of recent,

Some people I’ve talked to have said, you know, every lie, every conspiracy about Covid, whether it’s the chips in the syringes or whether it’s going to make you sterile, every one of those were predictable.

The thing though, is that I was one of those people reluctant to get vaccinated after having recovered from the virus. And my reading material that was skeptical of the official narrative didn’t have to do with chips or sterilization. There were concerns I saw about the vaccine affecting women’s menstrual cycles. But that is different.

I also don’t think the Great Barrington Declaration was about chips or sterilization.

1 Like

You reading what’s coming out of the COVID inquiry in Great Britain? Doesn’t seem to me like Collins or any of the people advocating shutdowns, vaccines, masks, or other measures have been proven wrong or shown to have suppressed information or been caught in self-interested shenanigans. That would be the other side.

2 Likes

Trashing other people is bad form but easy to slip into. We should make sure we don’t do that here.

1 Like

As far as shutdowns the comparison between Florida and California is an important area to look at… and I thought it had long been admitted masks and the vaccine did not prevent the spread of the virus…

Point taken, but there is a difference between reporting on documented abuse in a church system and making up lies about people doing their jobs.

2 Likes

There is a difference, however, between targeting personal attacks motivated just on difference of belief, and calling out individuals who are creating hurt and ruin. If there is one criticism the broader public has of religion that is valid, it is that scandal is often suppressed to maintain appearances.

3 Likes

Nope. A study out this week doing an analysis of multiple studies finds the opposite:

Here’s how one of the authors Tom Frieden summarized it:
“The evidence is clear: Masks can reduce the risk of spreading Covid and of being infected with it. In a new review, my colleagues and I examined 40 studies on masks with seven different methodologies. Here’s what we found.
Masks play two roles—protecting the wearer and protecting the people around the wearer. If someone wearing a mask is sick, the mask can drastically reduce the amount of virus they spread to others. For personal protection, a high-quality mask such as an N95 or KN95 can protect the wearer, particularly if it fits well and is worn consistently in crowded indoor spaces where exposure to Covid often occurs.
Although masks work, they’re not perfect. Factors such as how intensely the virus is spreading, in which settings it’s spreading (such as indoors with poor ventilation), what proportion of people are wearing masks and how consistently they’re being worn add complexity to the question of how much protection masks provide and when.”

2 Likes

It’s been a few years since I waded into Wilson’s controversies. What I found when I did is that there are 2 sides to the story. Like the article from Vice. I don’t remember all the details now, but I do remember how the accusations rise to the level of every elder surrounding Wilson and the denomination as a whole, which was supposedly begun as a way to shield Wilson from official charges. He has been corrected and has apologized. I don’t like how he talks about some things, but I do find an inordinate amount of controversy directed at him due to his unpopular views. I also do not currently see anything morally outrageous being confirmed against the man.

I can be wrong on that

1 Like

Give me a break. His “unpopular views” center on white supremacy and women as property, and these “unpopular views” have led to immoral actions like marrying a pedophile off to a sheltered homeschooled teen with no say in the matter to “cure” him and forcing women to stay in dangerously abusive marriages.

3 Likes

No give me a break. These are old charges. I would hope that you would be willing to at least be wrong about the white supremacy charge and the wives as property charge has more to do with male headship which you have said you are unwilling to debate.

The pedophile one, just makes me glad I’m not a pastor and I don’t have to deal with that kind of dilemma. But his critics say money was involved so that just piles on the dirt.

1 Like

I have very detailed awareness of lots of things that happened in Moscow. The fact that you are defending Wilson doesn’t make me reconsider my assessment of him in the least, it just tells me you are not a safe person and I shouldn’t trust you. And yeah, I’m not going to “debate” people like Wilson or his buddy Stephen Wolfe who don’t grant that women and Black people are equal to white men. I’m going to dismiss them as absolutely not worth listening to.

I feel like you are losing the plot though.

The issue under discussion is Ken Ham’s recent alignment with a decidedly Christian nationalitst crowd and the Christian nationalist crowd doubling down harder recently on young earth creationism.

1 Like

It was an issue with slavery, and not racism. The fact that you are making it about racism, as someone purported to be in the know, is discouraging to say the least

It’s a zoo out there folks

When you ask for a definition of cult and get the Tarantula article, what do you expect?

No, Mike, I’m not referencing his deplorable home school curriculum and his co-authoring a book with the founder of a white supremacist organization, The League of the South, though those issues are about racism not just slavery apology. I’m referencing the promotion of Stephen Wolfe’s book The Case For Christian Nationalism, which Wilson’s publishing company published and fiercely defended and marketed relentlessly. Stephen Wolfe is a kinist who has publicly said interrracial marriage is a coroporate sin and he has advocated the repealing of the amendments that give women and Black people voting rights. That’s racism and misogyny and Wilson loves his stuff and thinks we should all read and learn from it.

1 Like

The Case for Christian Nationalism: there’s a flashing red light!

2 Likes

Looking into it, but people were calling Wilson a racist for years before this which I never believed. And frankly still find hard to believe. But I will look into this one.

:grin: What a contrast in reviews!

You might check this one out:

1 Like

Did you ever see Defending Constantine? I never read it, but remember seeing it as I was turning away from the theonomy stuff.