Christian Wisdom in the Biotech Age

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://biologos.org/blogs/deborah-haarsma-the-presidents-notebook/christian-wisdom-in-the-biotech-age

Christian scientists should find the wisdom about the meaning of “being created in the image of God.” This is a topic discussed here often, but Christians fail to recognize that the part of us God created has nothing to do with our physical, biological being.

God is divine, immortal and ethereal. He created our divine, immortal and ethereal spirit in His image. No amount of gene manipulation can change what He created, we can only change the vessel that the spirit inhabitants during its short time on Earth.

Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. (Matt 15:11)

Jesus did not come to save our physical body, but our immortal soul and spirit. It is how we act within our chosen profession and how we treat those around us that impacts that which God created.

Excellent article. The issue of the ethics of fetal tissue research is particularly difficult. I have had several concerned mothers bring up the morality of using vaccines which are grown in human fibroblast cell originally obtained from a couple of elective abortions in the 1960s, from what I gather. A similar ethical issue came up recently as it has come to light that some transplant technology is based on research from China that may have included executed prisoners. What do you do with that? Certainly, when we look at society and civilization, there are many examples of good things coming from bad origins. Space exploration from German V-2 rockets. Medications coming from drugs of abuse. Children resulting from rape and incest that are cherished and loved by God. The list is endless. I am thankful that we are covered by grace as we do the best we can to make faithful decisions in all these things.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Material or immaterial persons?

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.