Christian Nationalism and Opposition to Science

Which is why I try my best to stay out of political discussions.

Some sentiments are distinctly “Where have you been getting your information?” as one’s internal thought, like someone I saw (fortunately not someone I know) saying that Trump’s biggest mistake as president was not having Dr. Fauci arrested in March. I was almost curious enough to actually ask what charge this person thought could be brought against him.

2 Likes

You seem to believe that the function of government is to impose one’s opinions on others. You seem to take the position that life is a struggle for power, Darwinism without Darwin, and it is winner take all.

Jesus did not see things that way. He did not insist that God’s Law, the Jewish Torah, be imposed on everyone. Instead Jesus established the Kingdom of God, where the foundation is love and community, reconciliation, rather than law. and works, legalism.

The role of the Church is to help humans to reconcile themselves with God and others. The role of government is to encourage community and wellbeing among those who live in the country. It is to resolve problems, not to impose solutions.

Christian nationalism is not democratic. It is based on “Christian” values and not majority vote, just as Islamic law is not based on majority vote, but by Islamic law.

The attempt to impose “pro-life” on the USA is currently based on the actions of the Supreme Court who are not elected and the last three justices were nominated by a president who was not elected by a majority of the voters and the nomination was not confirmed by Senators who received a majority of the electorate.

The politics of governing is usually based on compromise, which leads to cooperation, while faith can be based on absolutes which are goals and values, rather than practical ways of relating to others.

While we can agree that many abortions are not the best alternative, the attempt to outlaw all abortions and to take this decision out of the hands of families and doctors is full of serious problems that are best avoided.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.