Christ as a name

Right, because that is a vocative, and vocatives don’t take articles in English.

1 Like

I think Messiah means Anointed One, and anointing had several significances. When people talked about the Anointed One, there was a whole messianic concept built by the discourse in their culture and their eschatological expectations.

Maybe it has something to do with monadic nouns (things for which there is only one member of the category in view), which often occur with the article (80% of the time) even though it isn’t needed to specify which one: God, earth, moon, sun, heaven would be examples of monadic nouns.

1 Like

charlies-angels-chad

Christ is a title, with or without an article.

the only one that comes to mind for me is “you are the Christ, the Son of the Living God.” Interesting thought for sure. I think we think of it as his name, but it really is like a title.

1 Like

The way I was taught, back in the Dark Ages, a title is used as a proper name, which means that it is capitalized, when it refers to only one person and therefore takes the place of his/her name. The classic example is my father which is not capitalized and “Father and I,” which is.

Under this rule “God” is a title and also n proper name, because when we write “God” we mean only “our heavenly Father,” unless we consider Allah to be God also.

Messiah and Christ are both titles, meaning “the anointed” Anointing the head with oil was the sign that YHWH had Chosen that person for a special task, as when Samuel anointed first Saul and then David to be the King of Israel. Psalm 2 was used during the anointing and coronation of the King of Judah as YHWH’s Messiah and Son.

Jesus never claimed to be God, but He clearly claimed to be the Messiah, which can also be translated Savior, as in the Person Chosen by YHWH to Save God’s People. This brought Him into conflict with the Jewish establishment, who did not want to concede leadership to Him, esp. when He challenged their authority. It also brought Him into conflict with the Romans who did not tolerate anyone who seemed to reject their rule. Of course the Jews generally would have followed Him if He “saved” them from the foreign rule of the Romans. Most of them did not when He introduced the New Covenant of His Death and Resurrection, which made possible the reconciliation of all humans with YHWH and each other in the Kingdom of God.

The biggest issue I see is people thinking that Christ is the last name of Jesus. Jews and many people did not have last names until much later, but compound names were common like Simon Peter. That means that many might be calling Jesus the Savior without meaning it, and thus be taking the Name of God in vain.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.