Chewing gum that survived the Flood!

Really? And you wax pseudo-eloquent about the Babylonian captivity. Good grief. It has nothing to do with allegory.

YECs who pretend to appeal to science routinely and consistently say that the fixed laws of nature are variable, like the speed of light and radionuclide decay rates.

Perhaps, but that raises questions about the state of preservation of the Hebrew Bible, and what else may be shaky.

In any event, a slightly earlier flood date does not help much. To get global population from Noah’s family to many tens of millions, even with patriarch lifespans, and no war, pestilence, or famine, indulges a lot of credulity.

My father was a junior high teacher in a public school. Back in the days before society went to heck, a major disciplinary issue was children chewing gum in school, in blatant disregard of the no chewing gum rule. So one day, my dad got fed up with such recalcitrance and was determined to curb this lawlessness once and for all. He grabbed an old peanut butter jar and scraped all the ancient gum off the bottoms of the auditorium chairs, where one customarily deposited one’s contraband gum to avoid discipline. He set this jar of petrified gum on his desk, and warned that from then on, when offending gum chewers were caught in class, he would offer them “50 lines or 50 chews,” meaning students had to write “I will not chew gum in class” 50 times in detention after school, or they could take an piece of ancient gum from the jar and chew it 50 times in front of the class. He wrongly assumed that no student would choose the latter option, and it would all just be a fun joke. Unfortunately, he taught junior high, and forgot that his puberty-addled charges did not act rationally or with self-preservation. So when the first kid was caught with illegal gum, the class erupted in chants of “Take the jar! Take the jar!” and the kid obliged. Then they all chanted “Chew! Chew! Chew!” until he had done his penance. This form of punishment/bravado continued for several years, with not a single student opting to serve detention, or any notable deterrent effect on the illegal gum chewing. Then the school nurse found out and declared the Gum Jar a health code violation that must be immediately disposed of. So that was the end of that, though the legend of Mr. Larson’s Gum Jar lived on for many years.

8 Likes

That’s pretty funny. :slightly_smiling_face:

My sixth grade teacher took a kid out into the hallway with a ruler (I don’t remember what the offense was, maybe smart-mouthing her), we heard a loud crack, and when they came back in, the wooden ruler was broken and the part that wasn’t in her hand was hanging from the still intact metal edge. I’m pretty sure she would not have broken the ruler intentionally, just for effect.

1 Like

No, YECists only think they have such a record, and they manage that by denying that the scriptures are the ancient literature they actually are.

Almost nothing in the first dozen-minus-one chapters of Genesis was written as history.

I say that “this history” is wrong because the scriptures in question were not written as history. That science doesn’t align with it is just an expected result because what the YECists claim the scriptures say is based on a denial of what the scriptures are.

No, they find that the global flood is well-supported by lying, both about the science and about the scriptures.

That makes three strikes . . . the scriptures, the science, and the history.

I’ve read much of the Septuagint in the original, and I don’t recall any date being given at all.

The YEC approach to science reminds me of “Calvinball”.

My stepdad’s headmaster was fond of a wooden dowl about a meter long for dishing out punishments. One day the boys snuck into his office, took the dowl and cut through half of its width. The next time the head went to swing it it snapped in half and clattered to the floor. :joy:

3 Likes

Sigh. Here we go again.

Adam, how many times do I have to tell you that the rules of science, that tell us in no uncertain terms that the earth is 4.5 billion years old and not six thousand, have nothing whatsoever to do with secularism?

Seriously, I’m beginning to think that I’m not responding to an actual human being, but to some kind of automated chatbot here.

7 Likes

God will no more reject the descendants of Jacob (Israel) or fail to select from David’s descendants rulers for the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, then he would break the order of day and night.

The future was assured.

God has made a definite unbreakable promise - regarding Christ just as the order of day & night are unbreakable. Just as the new covenant is fixed just like day & night and the order of heaven and earth.

So Jeremiah is saying God says just as the unchanging permanence of day & night the order of heaven and earth JUST AS THE future permanence of the new covenant with Christ as the promised head.

Day & night plus the order of heaven and earth is fixed and unchangeable. It is unclear why the author believes that denying this verse would render carbon dating useless.

1 Like

Not to mention more than a slug of other measuring and dating methods that ultimately depend upon fundamental physical constants, “the fixed laws of heaven and earth”.

@Christy

My problem with teacher “discipline” is that teachers can be very subjective in their understanding of what is a problem and what is a “problem child.” I ran across a couple of teachers (2nd and 4th grade) which were all about control and regimentation of their students. It was completely incompatible with the way I was raised. I had no problem at all with the majority of teachers who simply focused on teaching their students.

1 Like

Yeah. I think my dad was always all about entertainment more than control. It takes a special person to absolutely love teaching 7th grade.

3 Likes

That’s the truth!

And now teachers have to adapt and compete with mobile devices and shorter attention spans.

Entertainment can be a superb means of control.

I loved leading 7th grade youth group, but I could never have survived trying to teach them, at least not in a traditional school.

I read an article last winter about a combined middle school - high school that needed to overhaul & remodel all the science lab classrooms, and while they were at it they turned the rooms into almost-perfect Faraday cages. I would have loved to have been there the first time a student decided to play on his phone in class!

2 Likes

Ha! They might compete to get kicked out of the room. :grin: But anything that was already on the device that could be used locally…

Nothing. They will just dismiss it the same way 99% of the population dismisses things they disagree with. Old alleged, fossilized chewing gum (a rock someone found) overthrowing the truth of God’s word? Pfft. A YEC comedian can use this in a stand up comedy routine and generate a lot of laughs.

Vinnie

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.