Care of creation and theology

Sure. Any o the religions have been more active about plant based diets before Christianity was even around.

But like I said, in western nations its Christianity that jumpstarted the vegetarian movements, and not just “hermits”
but set the groundwork for the mainstream as well. The development of cereal alone was a major push forward for vegetarianism. Ben Franklin was a major part of introducing tofu to mainstream america back in the day and part of that was because as a younger man he was heavily influenced by his faith, Christianity, to become a vegetarian. Though he “backslid” later on he still advocated for it.

As much as I enjoy this conversation I believe it’s traveling further away from the main topic. Perhaps later on we can find a way to create a science and faith based thread on veganism. It’s very easy to tie veganism into environmentalism but I believe it’s better to be it’s own thread. Mountains and mountains of scripture talks about caring for nature I CI using animals. They were much more than just beast of burden and offerings.

Wanted to mention that though Franklin did help set some of the groundwork for tofu there was others as time went that also played roles in it such as Yamei Kin and even love movements of the 60s. You can see it also being encouraged through general immigration.

1 Like

USA is a world to it own, hard to understand when you from different part of the world. Unfortunately Americans love to spread they ideas around the world, at least from the 1945, without thinking too much about how they would work for others. So I try to learn something basic things about USA.

I don’t want to make any statement on Evangelical Christians, I don’t know them well enough. This is not very black and white story to me.

2 Likes

I find over years people that try to advocate that there is Christian case for vegetarianism or veganism, but this pretty much hopeless task. You can make christian case for temperance in many, many case, but considering eating meat always as evil, this is lost battle.

1 Like

I don’t know what you want say in this words?

As aside. From the story of Cain and Able in Judaism and Christianity man that raise animals and slain them play important role.

It’s part of the Christian case for taking care of the earth. Actually it’s wider, the human case for taking care of the earth.

Probably, but also states clearly that eating animals in proper way is not sinful at all. And not killing animals for the service of Lord is very grave sin.

About Noah’s flood. Cain and Able story already mention animal sacrifices.

To be honest, I don’t like attempts to make such christian case for vegetarianism. To my this is too much retrofitting someones views on the Bible. I don’t have a problem with Christians being vegetarians as such, I just don’t like theories with such shake foundations. I hope this don’t sounds rude, I have a problem with writing in English in balanced way.

It is worth to quote Acts of Apostles, chapter 10.

“He was hungry and wished to eat, and while they were making preparations he fell into a trance. He saw heaven opened and something resembling a large sheet coming down, lowered to the ground by its four corners. In it were all the earth’s four-legged animals and reptiles and the birds of the sky. A voice said to him, “Get up, Peter. Slaughter and eat.” But Peter said, “Certainly not, sir. For never have I eaten anything profane and unclean.” But Peter said, “Certainly not, sir. For never have I eaten anything profane and unclean.” This happened three times, and then the object was taken up into the sky.”

In which monastic community? There are so many stories about monastic live, that you can’t be too sure about them.

Also Protestants abolished monasteries as useless if not evil things. Too English speaking person most famous is probably what Henry VIII king of England, Ireland and Welsh did, but many other rulers did the same. So, should we judge Protestantism as hindrance to vegetarianism cause? I don’t know, I must think.

About cereals, in version of the story that I heard, there was nothing about eat meting, creators have quite different goals. But, I must check it.

If you talking about Benjamin Franklin, from what I know his Christianity, is in 80% just a fable made after his death. I’m not American so I pretty much don’t care is some Funding Father was Christian or not.

He was not a Christian. He was a Deist. A great man, but not a Christian.

We have documentation. Don’t dismiss it as stories. And monastic life is a continuing tradition. And there are Anglicans nuns to this day. Ever seen *Call the Midwife ? It’s about an order of Anglican nuns that cared for pregnant women before the National Health Service came into being.

Which monastic community survived Henry VIII dissolution of monasteries?

Some orders were restored after dissolution.

I can agree that it is permissible to eat animals as it is permissible to eat plants or drink wine. Saying something more seems to be not-Biblical at all. Of course, the way that I said it removed any intrinsic moral stain from eating meat, which is precisely my point.

I guess, but how long after dissolution? 10 years, 20, 30, 50, 100, 200? I don’t know this history too well.

Here’s an example: The Society of Saint John the Evangelist

The order is Boston now

I think this is a good place to begin when wanting to get a better understanding and overview of Franklin’s beliefs.

Also, it is still very clear that Franklin’s faith played a major part in his acceptance of vegetarianism. That played a pivotal role in him introducing plant based foods like tofu.

None of it also undermines the fact that Christianity played a major role in popularizing plant based alternatives , and encouraging vegetarianism, previously and presently.

Despite what you want to believe, Franklin was not a Christian. Several founding fathers, including Franklin, were deists. Do you also want to believe that Thomas Jefferson was a Christian?

It’s not about what I believe. It’s about the progression and circling back of his beliefs. What deistic beliefs shaped his thoughts on vegetarianism? Jewish and Christian beliefs.

So it does not matter what you want believe. It does not matter what I want to believe. We can trace the movement back and see it’s clear development being pushed by Christians.

This also contains a handful of traceable names and keywords about Christianity and vegetarianism including some very influential people who pushed it.

What do you believe was the main development of vegetarianism in the western world?

Don’t move the goalposts

1 Like

I did not. And to be honest. Until you provide some kind of response worth even paying attention to I’m not wasting time going back and forth. Ive repeatedly and from multiple sources defended my position.

You’ve done nothing. So best luck. When you can produce something showing that religion, specifically Christianity, was not one of the main jump starters of vegetarianism I’ll pay attention. Otherwise, I’m just assuming you have a emotional stance because it’s what someone told you, and that’s that’s. Look forward to your links.