Can you be a Christian without believing in the resurrection?

It sure is! Don’t try this at home. Not only that but in the process I mis-texted. I had meant to say “ I do NOT think IT IS BEYOND A DOUBT what that is must have been of a nature that is constant and never evolving.”

From outside of Christianity it is an open question. Because it is axiomatic to Christianity it is necessary to the internal coherence of that worldview.

From my POV, since I think there is something real, important and dynamic which grounds God belief, a coherent unified theory of religious practice must preserve the coherence of every such tradition. That is why I do admire Bharatjj’s intent even though I disagree with his approach. One can’t convincingly argue that he is a member of a tradition like Christianity if he doesn’t actually embrace the same defining beliefs. You may be a fine fellow but that is clearly neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition for being hailed as a fellow Christian.

1 Like

Which is one reason why the last people on earth Christians should take their definition of a Christian from are non-Christians. As for being a fine fellow, I’m as defective as they come.

My mission in life is not to convince humans that I am a Christian. I pack my luggage a lot lighter than many.

I neither agree with his intent nor with his approach.

• I disagree. IMO, the assertion that Yahweh is constant and not evolving is essential to trusting Him
    • Mattew 7:24 “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. 26 And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it."
  • My house may be a shack, but at least I know where to build it.
2 Likes

Some build bigger barns… on sand.

1 Like

I’m sure that is true too. It just isn’t part of my truth since I’m not a member of the club. :wink:

1 Like

Some people believe in alternative facts.

The Latin anagram answers Pilate’s question:

Quid est veritas? “What is truth?”
Est vir qui adest: “It is the man who is here.”

No cats, but there are a lot of rabbit holes. And occasionally an un-tethered balloon with a string attached to it floats by.

I like this. Thanks.

Three major errors. 1. Idols are like the Christian Cross. But Hindus have delinked the idols from God. 2. God has a purpose–evolution to Unity. Hindus deny evolution. 3. Caste system.

I give my understanding briefly below.

1 Every particle has consciousness (Panpsychism).

2 Consciousness of parts coalesces to make a Collective Consciousness (CC) (Durkheim).

3 The CC deeply influences or “governs” the individual (Durkheim). Just as the President made by the people governs the people.

4 The CC resides in the unconscious (Jung).

5 CC is what we call “God.” So, our collective consciousness coalesces to make God, Who, in turn, governs us through our unconscious. The scriptures, of course, do not say this. But they do not deny this either to my understanding.

The references for these statements can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/170sonIEyIRV-QR5uYa9rbsRQYQNnkaE9/edit?usp=share_link&ouid=115481530671741156769&rtpof=true&sd=true

Lots of sand.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
John 14:6

2 Likes

Do you know how big a particle is and what its only reasonable attributes are?

Yes, for that time and place.

You have not thoroughly read the Gospels, and certainly not the rest of the New Testament or you would not be saying such silliness, if you really think we should take it that way.

But of course you said this too, didn’t you, still imagining for some reason that others should take you seriously:

To which I replied:

1 Like

https://cpb-us-w2.wpmucdn.com/voices.uchicago.edu/dist/6/111/files/2010/04/A.A.-Long-Soul-and-Body-in-Stoicism.pdf gives some interesting perspectives. To the materialist the physical resurrection is clearly essential as they want to be eternal selfs in a material form, ideally in their sexual prime, which is why people can be tempted by meeting virgins in heaven. Imagining doing that looking as multilated as you might leave this world as a combatant.

I’m still curious: what and whose scriptures?

1 Like

this reminds me of Aron Ra’s tweet about not believing in God in contrast to believing there to be no God. He declared rocks to be atheists, thus accidentally claiming the inability to think to be an atheist feature.

• @moderators
    From where I sit, I’d say this thread ceased to be “on topic” a while ago, and may–therefore–merit closure.

Let us do it the other way round. Please show why it is inconsistent with the Bible.

This article seems to deny the possibility of the soul outside the bodh. Then what about judgment day?