Can you be a Christian without believing in the resurrection?

Most people here seem to be Christians. There has only been one Jewish participant.

Okay.

What is God’s writ?

Are the Deuterocanonical/Apocryphal books inspired Scripture?

How many Sacraments are there? None? Two? Seven?

How do we regard the Eucharist? Just a memorial? The Real Presence? Transubstantiation?

Which ecumenical councils should we accept? What about The Chalcedonian Definition of the Faith? What about Vatican I? Vatican II? Are you going to go to Rome and call for a Vatican III, as I suggested?

Remember, you can’t change people’s beliefs unless you know what those beliefs are.

Minor suggestion. Instead of “emphasize” shall we use “note”? I agree with the rest of what you wrote.

I like this. Can you explain how the metaphysical resurrection took place? [My sense is that our souls wander in the sky after death and they can appear as psychic entities to those living on the earth. This is not “rebirth.” It is like a soul in he purgatory descending psychically. My query is whether the 12 followers of Jesus saw him physically or psychically after resurrection?]

John 6:45: Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me.
The objective of this world is for all souls to connect consciously with God. That is God’s writ.

Deuteronomy: Yes; Apocrypha: No.

There are so many issues that would require much study on my part. Happy to do if specific question is raised.

Yes, yes. That is why I am here.

A writ is a written command. Are you making one up?

You don’t know the meaning of Deuterocanonical

I just asked you a bunch of questions, and you didn’t answer most of them. It is obvious that you are not ready to launch your new religious vision, since you don’t understand most religious issues.

btw, the Anglican church is in dialog with both the Roman Catholic church and the Eastern Orthodox church, searching for common ground and the unity that Jesus wanted. It’s a long, slow process. The participants really have to know their stuff.

If you understood Christianity, you wouldn’t.

Happy Diwali, by the way!

I don’t think you’re here to learn. You’re here to preach at us.

1 Like

A composite counterfeit won’t fly.

True. I’m really not interested in a “Heinz 57 variety” religion.

1 Like

I have nothing to say.

Yes. I made a mistake of not researching before I replied. I don’t think I have enough knowledge at the moment to take a clear position. My general approach is that those texts are holy that have brought succor to billions. These I consider to be the Word of God. I am not aware of the differences between Septuagint, Masoretic, Hebrew Canon, and others. I would certainly look these up if there is a specific point of difference that is pointed out.

Thank you. Join the festivities.

1 Like

Shouldn’t you already be familiar with religious issues?

What about all my other questions? You will need one whole afternoon on Wikipedia to fully understand the four world religions you are trying to address!

Some more questions:

Are we saved by faith or by faith and works?

What about Purgatory?

You object to the historic creeds. Why? Please be specific.

What about the Book of Mormon and the Book of Abraham, and “Science and Health with Keys to the Scriptures”–are they inspired scripture?

What about the various catechisms like the Baltimore Catechism? Do keep them or reject them?

I didn’t say that Adam made a morally wrong choice.

A “wrong choice” is not necessarily immoral. Picking the wrong answer on a multiple choice exam is not immoral.

So choosing wrongly on a “life/death” choice is not necessarily a moral choice. So the wrong choice is not necessarily “evil.”

1 Like

There is no possibility of being familiar with ALL the religious issues–OT, NT, Quran, Hindu, and more. I do not have Universal Knowledge. I have at least once read these texts. I look into whatever question arises in more detail.
Asking me to be familiar with (all) religious issues would be like asking a cook to be familiar with all the vegetables, their contents, their country of origin etc. It will only clutter up the mind and distract from the central matter–the quest to reach God.
So, please be kind and specify what exactly is the point in the “religious issues” that you find relevant to the present discussion. I assure you I will try to respond.
Generally, I ONLY accept the Bible, Quran and Upanishads as Word of God. All the rest is “secondary.”

I agree. The point in this string was Resurrection. Whether Adam’s choice was wrong or evil makes no difference. The common point is a break with God. Jesus is one of the ways in which we can reconnect–resurrection or not.

1 Like

NO.

And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied. 1 Corinthians 15:17

9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9

Truly, the Resurrection and Godhood of Christ are the only things you need to believe in.

I never asked you to become familiar with all religious issues. My list of questions is hardly exhaustive. The point is that you want to change our religious beliefs, but you have little understanding of what those beliefs are, or why they matter.

1 Like

My objective is to bring all religions to their original core truth. This indeed means abandoning the politics and holding to spirituality. This I agree.