Can a skeptical doctor be persuaded there is medical evidence for modern day healing?

This looks great! Have not watched it yet so I don’t know what to expect. But I’m sure it will be good either way.

15 minutes into the video and what a pair (or trio as I haven’t heard Joshua Brown speak yet) of exceptionally gifted individuals to talk about this subject

What is modern day healing?

If there is statistical evidence for it, whatever it is, one cannot be sceptical of that.

1 Like

Please share anything you gather from the conversation as to how you think this question can be answered.

40 minutes in and I am blown away by Keener’s gracious fortitude :open_mouth:

And regarding a strong case that both Keener and May recognize the medical documentation for… “psychosomatic” 43:50

Can’t listen now, but will try to find time tonight, as I might be considered a skeptical doctor by many and am interested in what they have to say.

4 Likes

I think you should watch videos before posting them.

Keener is so good, even when he is wrong, it’s worth seeing :grin: and Joshua Brown is outstanding to see in action

“Black swan event” Joshua Brown 1:16:47

About statistics, we already know about multiple lottery wins in the order that the tickets were bought in separate lotteries, and the winner being the only one who bought any tickets. And it has nothing to do with cold reading.

But…

1 Like

“Psychosomatic” for the third time with three cases where the documentation is not disputed. 1:25:50

Someone commented on YouTube, Peter May ought to have this word tattooed on his hands.

Cringe worthy fumble :face_with_spiral_eyes: 1:27:30

(a contextual explanation or dilemma follows 1:29:25)

Breathtaking remark from Peter May at 1:40:30

“We don’t know the complexities of what’s going on in mind and in matter.”

And off came the gloves in last couple minutes. That got heated fast!

I just started watching it, and about his father’s prayer, you should suspect if not know :slightly_smiling_face: I would say something about God’s providential timing. So it’s likely May is looking at the wrong events in this narrative to perceive God’s intervention and who experiences it – it may be more about May’s father than it is about him – a miracle of timing and placing, a miracle where no natural laws are broken, as is God’s wont in many, many cases.

1 Like

May is a walking irony. Wait to you hear about his recovery from leukemia. The heart issues become evident in the last couple of minutes. In some ways I can understand where May is coming from, but the evidence is very strong in the particular cases they look at. And yet does the preponderance of evidence work for or against miracles?

Do isolated cases break the statistical threshold. Are there “black swan events”? Should this kind of event require a revaluation of the preponderance of evidence?

While May is a Christian and believes miracles happened in the Bible, his comment about the complexities of matter and mind indicate a pantheistic type of skepticism.

I’m looking forward to reading the responses from other people who watch the video.

Just started, I can relate to the introductory comments. I especially was sympathetic to the doctor’s story, as it is very similar to that of some dear friends. Their child had surgery and a large neuroblastoma (a malignant tumor arising from the adrenal gland) was found and biopsied ( so no misdiagnosis) and after much prayer wound up going to the large regional medical center to be treated, they found it had disappeared. The father in the family who was previously agnostic, became a believer through the process. A miracle was declared. But, it is well known that 20% or so of that type of tumor has spontaneous regression. So, was it a miracle or just the natural course of events? Was the miracle really the change in the heart of the father, not the disappearance of the tumor? The child today is a successful attorney, so not entirely a happy ending…:wink: Sorry, could not help myself. He actually is a great guy with a beautiful family.
Will listen to more later, but it is tough to find 2 hours in one sitting.

4 Likes

No worries. I listened to it in sections throughout the day. Then my phone died with two minutes left just as May and Keener started to go at it.

Medical evidence for miracles is a contradiction in terms. If there were objective evidence for such a thing then it would be science not a miracle.

Yeah I believe miracle healing happens, but that is an entirely different thing than expecting it to be a reliable medical procedure. Even if a doctor believes such a thing can happen, it is contrary to his profession to make such thing a part of either a diagnosis or a treatment. And should a medical doctor be unprofessional when talking to patients? Talking to him at church might be different.

1 Like

Well, now I May :slightly_smiling_face: have to do more of it. I was thinking this morning that I might fast forward through his stuff because it didn’t look like he was going to have anything else to say… I’m only 46 minutes in.

1 Like