Bringing God Into Our Lives

As a new Christian, how can we bring God into our lives?

Translation is more than replacing this Hebrew word with that English word.

Check Genesis 18:8, NAS: which he had prepared, and placed

What I meant was in Exodus 20:11/31:17, is the word asah, translated made in most English bibles, ever translated as prepare.

Wdym by that?

How would you translate ā€œ6 of one or half dozen of anotherā€ into another language that doesnā€™t have a word for dozen? Or if you did a literal translation it wouldnā€™t make any sense in that language.

You have been told repeatedly how translation works by people who do it for a living and yet you still seem to not understand the basic concepts.

Well can you clarify how you guys do it

Hereā€™s a useful article illustrating how translation is far from simple, and is deeply embedded the cultures of the languages in question:

I see, itā€™s just that the context in exodus 20:11 can allow for prepare or made, so it seems very odd that itā€™s only translated as he made the heavens and the earth, and not he prepared the heavens and the earth.

Interesting article on translation I came across today that illustrates some of the points made: 10 Biblical Terms I Wish Christians Had in Englis... | Christianity Today

Great question. As you probably know made can have two meanings.

Consider the phrase ā€˜This morning I made my bedā€™

That can mean today I went out, brought some timber, and created my bed frame. Then purchased a mattress, sheet, duvet, cover and put them on the bed.

Or it can mean, I prepared my bed as in put it into a state fit for someone to sleep in.

Westerners hear/read the word ā€˜makeā€™ and instinctively jump to the first meaning. When then Old Testament talks about God ā€˜makingā€™ the heavens and the earth, I believe it is using it in the second sense. God made the heavens and the earth, as in got it into a livable condition.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.