Biggest stumbling block for me - Hell

97% of humanity?

Yeah, if Christ is a myth, i.e. there is no Christ, there was no incarnation as God is not, then we go to where we came from. Oblivion.

But if Christ is real, then the myths we make up about Him, including those He was born to, are themselves only of historical interest. How we make Him relevant going forward remains the same challenge it has actually always been, because He identified that with His first sermon but we engage with everything except that.

Well I believe a Jesus is real and is still alive.

I believe that the bible clearly teaches Jesus doing these things. We see the verses in multiple places. What Iā€™m interested in is teaching Jesus. Not just parts of him.

Matthew 7:21 days , ā€œ Not all who hays Lord, Lord, will be saved but those that do the fathers willā€.

Romans 6:23
ā€œ The wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal lifeā€

John 3:16
ā€œ God loves the world so that he gave his only son so that whoever believes in him wonā€™t perish. (Die)

Matthew 7:13
ā€œ enter through the narrow gate because the waive gate with a broad path , that many will enter, leads to destruction.

2 Peter 3:7
ā€œFire reserves for the destruction of ungodly menā€

2 Thessalonians 1:8-9
Jesus will be revealed with his mighty angels in fire handing out punishment for those who donā€™t know God and obey his words. These will be punished with the eternal punishment cut off from the lord.

Jesus taught more than from a single sermon on the mountain. He spoke of grace and mercy, along with judgement and wrath.

1 Like

He taught figuratively from what He knew by His uniquely divinely suffused fully human epistemology.

John 12:49

I speak not of my own understanding but what my father ( God ) commanded me to speak.

Christ came to preach the way of salvation to mankind and then appoint his apostles to continue it who selected elders and set up congregations that picked teachers and so on.

Jesus and then apostles were guided by the spirit.

Christ came to die as a offering to pay the cost of those who take refuge in him.

2 Likes

For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

1 Like

Any other irrelevant proof texts? In lieu of thinking. Let me know when you run out of those people.

Refute away. But not with a Bible fortune cookie.

1 Like

Meaning you canā€™t.

Sureā€¦ but is Jesus at a physical location on the Earth? If not then where is He and what is He doing? Is he playing around on other planets? Is He a part of the space-time continuum of the physical universe at all ā€“ i.e. having space-time coordinates, reflecting light, giving off sounds and smells? Is He confined to the laws of nature so that people can find Him, arrest Him, and nail Him to a cross again? Can He only speak or listen to people one at a time? If so then what is thatā€¦ 1/100th of a second during a year for each of the 2.4 billion Christians? If not like that then obviously the kind of life He has now is considerably different than the life He had back in Israel 2000 years ago.

1 Like

The Bible offers no explanation on how we get from earth to heaven or how heaven overlaps with earth in a way we can define it.

You wonā€™t see me arguing what resurrection is like for those entering into everlasting life or what heaven being restored and overlapping with earth is like.

But what I can argue is what Jesus did make claims about.

2 Likes

Yes, but why did He make such ancient culturally constrained, figurative, hyperbolic claims? And how do you argue what He meant? And what is true about them?

1 Like

Jesus also stated that God will make the judgment and we take comfort in that God is a perfect judge and knows our deeds, our intents and our weaknesses. I think it presumptuous for us to say someone will go to hell or to heaven - only God can do that. We are admonished to seek the good and avoid evil for that very reason.

2 Likes

Yeah, your heart has to be lighter than the Shu feather.

what in hell is wrong with you and this nonsense! :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Nonsense eh? The weighing of deeds after life goes back to ancient Egypt.

God has evolved a tad since then.

(Talking of nonsense this reminds me of the postmodern jargon generator:

'The distinction between the essense and energies is discussed extensively - uncreated nature of the Light of Tabor was formulated in the 14th century by Gregory Palamas defending the mystical practices of Hesychasm. St Chrysostom discusses these matters also - my interest is to ask questions related to the uncertainty of QM and the theological doctrine that God sustains His creation. We cannot know the essence but biblically human senses have responded to the uncreated energies.

Could this take us to an interface between the energies sustaining and the measurable quantum world?')

No, he hasnā€™t. He is omnitemporal.

2 Likes

Hey Dale. Iā€™m orthodox. God changes not. From forever. Our imaginings of Him are the things that evolve. As you all well know.

Why are you not contradicting yourself.

Why would I indeed.

It seems you are.