Biggest stumbling block for me - Hell

Aye, in early seventeenth century English best read in a Scots accent.

2 Likes

Yes, but we probably shouldn’t raise the bar for “biblicism” so high as to exclude nearly everybody. For example, I know many people who I think would qualify as “biblicists”, none of whom go to the extreme lengths of trying to live only as the early church lived (and rejecting all technology today that was not around in Bible times). Maybe a rare hermit Christian or two somewhere does, but Christian society at large has no trouble acknowledging that we are obliged to extrapolate general principles from the scriptures to apply in contemporary culture. But I think they still carry an attitude, even in that, which can be distinguished and identified as “Biblicism”, even if it is much trickier to distinguish this or identify how we here (who perhaps claim to avoid that label) are any different if we take the Bible seriously, which many here, including myself do.

Perhaps that distinction can be pursued, but if so I would probably start by saying that biblicists usually are flag-bearers for things like literalist inerrancy which would probably be one key distinction that signals a significantly different approach to scriptures.

2 Likes

And they’re all damnationists. All. Whatever the Hebrew is for damner, i.e. one who damns, the Greek form of that should be their founder’s name.

1 Like

And then there are denialists, pretending that their thinking reigns supreme.

You haven’t read the tin carefully – Jesus says he is one of your ‘damnationists’: Matthew 25:31-46.

Actually, it is Savior, ‘Jesus’.

I don’t understand, sorry. How can someone who damns everybody be a saviour?

You don’t read well: Matthew 25:31-46. He isn’t someone who damns everyone.

1 Like

No, a Socratic and specific one.

You can’t get your head around all that God is – it’s not big enough, swollen though it may be. :grin:

Yes, we covered that in Grade 2 of primary school. However, I probably didn’t pay much attention and don’t fully understand it.

1 Like

Thanks for that.

It’s certainly more warped than most, but rationality doesn’t swell it. Whereas your God is unnecessarily swollen as a trans-infinite Futurama Bender with every Planck tick of infinite eternity frozen in His chest with the booze. Which is the real reality? I.e. which is the real now? Ohhhhh!!! They all are. Problem solved. You’re right!!

See my post above. That explains it all.

1 Like

It’s a figure of speech mate. As He’s only Earth local He only damns the vast majority of mankind, not those He knew would be humble like you. Which He gathered in the Yooonited States. But as Jesus is one of infinite incarnations of the Son from eternity, He has actually already damned an infinity of people from forever for their predestined lack of humility.

And all ARE damned in Adam, He just randomly makes some American and other proper Protestants humble enough to be worth saving.

God has used the threat and fear of punishment as one means of changing hearts in the past, as I expect he does now and will continue to.

You’d have to be either an Aussie, a Kiwi or a Pom … as for me, I’m Australian :slight_smile: .

1 Like

POM I’m afraid. Don’t cha know. I nearly was a ten pound one nearly 60 years ago.

You will see at the end of the quote from the Matthew chapter it says “but the righteous into eternal life.”

Aye @Ani99, all will be well.