Bad things happen to good people

Nope. Enough with this. Religious people playing with others feelings telling others to “forgive” and “heal”. Ask an abused child to forgive their parent which treated them like trash. Yeah that will work. Certain people dont need to be forgiven. And God knows that. If God demands from me to forgive someone which treated me like i was dirt even though i cared for them ,lovedetc etc. or demand that we forgive certain evil people,then by all means i dont want any connectiom to that kind of God. I dont want to even hear about him. Ill even put him in the same potision as those i spoke above.

Sorry for my explosiveness here but sometimes i get really mad at your God

Understood.

2 Likes

Anecdotes aren’t empirical evidence.

4 Likes

What about the testimony from a scientist’s field notebook.

Just because a scientist writes it doesn’t make it empirical. A scientist writing an anecdote does not make it into empirical data.

4 Likes

How does a scientist report the calving of an iceberg? Is that anecdotal?

Choosing not to believe honestly reported objective empirical evidence does not invalidate it.

They report replicable and verifiable measurements, not stories.

2 Likes

I don’t think you understand the difference between anecdotal and empirical evidence.

1 Like

em·pir·i·cal

/əmˈpirik(ə)l/

adjective

1. based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic.

So how do I verify or observe for myself what happened in any of those anecdotes?

More to the point, where are the statistical analyses? Where is the comparison between an experimental and control group? What would we expect to observe from pure randomness, and where are the analyses backing this conclusion?

Very recently a child in my extended family was diagnosed with bone cancer. He is just 2 years old, and if he survives the 9 months of repeated chemo and radiation he will probably never walk normally due to the amount of damage the radiation is going to cause. His parents are very devout Christians, and they are praying everyday for a good outcome, but I can’t help but think that if God does exist then God just let this happen when he could have stopped it. Why pray to the very being that could have stopped your kid from getting cancer but chose not to?

If we looked at a statistical comparison between medical outcomes for Christians and atheists would you expect to see a strong statistical difference? Do all Christians have their cancer cured if they pray to have it cured? If not, why not?

3 Likes

How do you observe for yourself an iceberg calving or ninety-seven million other objective events reported by scientists? (Maggie was a scientist, please recall.) You don’t. You trust the honest accounts recorded.

You’re playing the theodicy card again, I see. Sorry, but it doesn’t trump nor negate other realities.

And speaking of statistics (and ingenuousness* elsewhere), winning five lotteries in a day in the order that the tickets were bought doesn’t give you a clue that something was rigged. Not just one-off coincidences, but whole sets and series of otherwise discrete and disparate events, connected only by the mutual meaning infused. And not just one series, but multiple, and not just one person’s. Do you remember George Müller? I can post links to him again. There was Rich Stearns, of course, and my nephrectomy account (btw, I did not pray to have my cancer cured). I would be interested to see if you could provide comparable sets of concatenated series of events that were first person accounts and likewise recent.

*Call it gullible, if you like, but the antonym is disingenuous. I would prefer the former label for myself.

I can accept that in life Christians suffer the trials of life that are common to all, and feel that that is just part of what it is to live under the laws of physics and probability. It bothers me more when someone prays that WalMart will have the Pound Puppy in stock that their grandkid wants for Christmas, and credits God when one is on the shelf, yet that child who is suffering continues to suffer. It both trivializes the suffering and trivializes God.

8 Likes

Satellite photos, before and after.

All scientific papers have a methods section which allows you to redo their work. You should be able to replicate their results if you follow their methods.

Why not?

Your claim is that these events could not happen if God did not exist. That’s the claim you need to support.

That would be your job if in fact you are pursuing empirical evidence. You would need to show that such events only take place for those who believe in and trust God and not for those who do not believe. You need a control.

If we are talking about anecdotal evidence that you find compelling from a faith perspective, then I have no argument. I feel no need to tell people what they should or shouldn’t believe through faith. Where I do find disagreement is when someone claims to be presenting empirical evidence which has standards that must be met.

2 Likes

That’s the part I don’t understand. Some people seem to be saying that God intervenes in the laws of physics and probability to do good things for them.

Football players thanking God for answering their prayers after a close win also comes to mind, especially this time of year. Makes me wonder if the other team just didn’t pray as hard as the winning team. :wink:

4 Likes

To begin with, I think you are mistaking that I am try to say that God’s existence is scientifically provable. I’m not, and it is not. This has been discussed before: Why There is No Proof of God

What I am saying, however, and as I said there, that there is credible empirical evidence for his providential interventions in his children’s lives.

Um… :slightly_smiling_face:

It allows you to. And you do that for all the scientific papers you read? No, you trust. We are talking about something similar to a forensic M.O., something that is a consistent pattern, something that the Perpetrator does that the observer does not replicate nor want to or try to.

Again, I am claiming that the events are consistent with a God who sovereignly and providentially intervenes in his children’s lives. Those interventions are not always what the child wants. Rich Stearns did not want or ask for what he was compelled to believe and act upon. That sequence is absolutely absurd without God, if you would care to reread it. Again, I did not ask to have my cancer cured and it was very cool to see all the timings and placings orchestrated the way they were, regardless, even if it hadn’t been. I’m glad for the way it turned out, especially for my wife’s sake, but if it had metastasized and progressed to stage 4, it is more important to die well than easily, calmly professing my Lord’s sovereignty and be welcomed into his arms.

Maybe because the kingdom of heaven is not all about a pain-free existence and comfortable life in this world, not that Christians and everyone else who can should not work at alleviating pain and suffering and ameliorating conditions for others. Francis Collins comes to mind.

No, I don’t, because I am not claiming scientific proof, just good evidence (kind of like big bang cosmology points to something beyond time and space). I would be glad to let you volunteer, if you’d like, but it would be better to have you become a child of the King first, and my brother.

It bothers me more when that same kid prays day and night for his suffering to end . Things seems to be going good with his therapy and the family attributes it to God
And then all of a sudden the child dies . God which just did a miracle in its familys eyes just reversed it the next moment. Help never came. They just thought it did.

Leonard Cohen summed it up pretty well in just one verse in his song “You want it darker”. In that verse he says

“A million candles burning for the help that never came”

Pretty much sums up the whole notiom of it. Desperate people do desperate things. Christians are humans as well. Instead of relying on themselves as hard as it is they look for something someone to help them . Everyone does that. Ive done it. They are praying and hoping that God would intervene in some way or another. If the outcome is good and the desperation passes then they attribute it to God. If not well they find excuses or realize that help was never on the way. Just because the outcome was possitive in their dire situation doesnt mean God helped them. Help was never on the way. They just relied on themselves somehow or did something and thus the right outcome came. God never interved. He will never do.

Deconstruction at its best i guess. As i was losing my faith i realized that prayer,the commandments of bible,the ‘forgive even the worst kind of people’,etc etc are not applicable. Demands that no one can do. Ever.

Then you probably shouldn’t describe the anecdotes as empirical evidence because that implies that God’s existence is scientifically provable.

Your second paragraph contradicts your first paragraph.

Here ya go:

Whether or not I repeat their experiments does not change the fact that they are repeatable. Anecdotes are not repeatable, and are therefore not empirical evidence.

What wouldn’t be consistent with God intervening?

That’s subjective opinion, not empirical evidence.

Like I said before, the universe I see is indistinguishable from one where God does not exist. Your statement above is exactly what I am talking about.

You are claiming scientific proof when you claim you have empirical evidence. Therefore, you need a control.

2 Likes

I think it it is you who do not understand what empirical means. You automatically infer scientific empirical evidence where you should not.

No, it does not, because of your incorrect inference about the word empirical.

Understood. The eyes and ears of faith are needed, and a heart for God.

Then Jesus said, “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear."
Mark 4:9

No. It is about the meaning of empirical. Empirical evidence does not have to be replicable. Scientific empirical evidence does.

You missed my point – it was not just about icebergs. I’m sorry you went to that effort.