Back to the pandemic response

I think a better comparison would be … it’s discovered that using a certain kind of filter on a ventilation system where a lot of people live causes some severe allergic reactions for some of the residents there, and they complain. But others there like those particular filters and how the air smells, so even though they could do just fine with alternate filters (even if with some hassle for themselves), they raise a stink of their own, wanting things to keep on going … business as usual.

Granted the “some hassle” in this case was more than just that … closing schools and such is a lot more than just “some hassle” - as Collins agrees in this video snippet. But also don’t cheapen the hundreds of thousands of early deaths by comparing them with “not tolerating somebody else’s TV choices”. That isn’t fair either. I think it’s fair to say the stakes were high - really high! - on both sides of this.

2 Likes

Even outdoor activities were restricted many places.

For example:

My grandchildren could not go to the nearby playground in Ontario.

It was excessively restrictive.

Sure. But that’s obviously not what I was taking about. That’s outdoors sure. It’s a public park. That’s not the same as being outdoors in a kayak in the sea, rivers or large lakes. It’s not the same as biking along back country streets or hiking the woods.

During the worst of it, me and several friends still drove separately to the gulf and we all kayaked while staying several feet away. One night we kayaked about 1/4 of a mile out into the gulf. We used a 8 foot ladder with floated on the last 3 feet with a metal grill strapped to the center and had a floating fireplace while we floated at night with a waterproof Bluetooth speaker playing horror stories. We went foraging together several times. We would stay 6+ feet spaced out in the woods while talking and foraging for wild mushrooms.

For me personally I had more freedom during the shutdown than any other time. I was able to work 60+ hours a week doing construction. Many others were not able to work because they had reduced hours at restaurants and so on. So less people were out traveling. Nature seemed to start doing better than ever recently.

So while your grandkids could not play at a park that undermined the point of social distancing, they could have went on hikes and so on.

1 Like

They were too young for that.

It is great that you were able to continue working. Many others were not so blessed, and they were important too.

It does seem you are saying, “I was fine and no one else matters.” I hope that I have misunderstood your position.

Yes. I was saying as long as I’m fine I’m 100% with the decaying qualify of life of others. For fact, there suffering increased my happiness. For a fact, what gets me through my struggles in life is scrolling through pandemic TikToks and laughing at all the depression videos. But not everyone is blessed enough with the power in this life to just go walking outside.

I’m curious. Why did your kids not take their kids outside for walks? Why could your kids not talk to the other neighbors on the phone and see if they could all stay away from each other and walk down the street talking?

One thing I’ve noticed in life is that there are those who get things done and those who just let things happen to them waiting for someone else to fix it. Take the not working thing. I kept working because I kept putting in lots of time into finding work. None of it magically fell into my lap. At some point, someone has to decide to stop being a baby and choose to work on overcoming obstacles in their life.

So if your grandkids was to young then you or your kids who had them should have done something about it. Should create a social life so their kids have playmates. Should invest in social circles. Should have the sense to take kids to young to play myself in the woods and instead took them. One of my friends is a single mom. During Covid when her hours were cut back she spent $100 and used a credit card to get stuff to paint houses and then started calling around to paint the outside of houses and so on.

You don’t seem to know that there were many places in the world where people were actually forbidden from leaving their homes, or where they were only allowed to leave their homes for what the government decided was absolutely essential.

And, of course, children were not allowed to go to school. And churches were closed.

So where your grandkids live their parents were forbidden from taking them for walks? Or it would be forbidden from them going on a walk 10 feet away from a couple in front of them and they talk while socially distancing? Did you know biking as a family along a trail or backroad places you in less contact with people than when going once every week or two to a grocery store for food.

Where you live there was a ban on even walking along the road?

Apparently you are reading things into my posts that I did not write. That is unfortunate for understanding.

As I wrote earlier, the park down the street from their home was closed. They could not use the swings or the jungle gym.

It was excessive and ridiculous.

The other things you have imagined about my posts are impolite.

But you are free to make things up if you prefer, such actions do you more harm than they do me.

May you be blessed with understanding and compassion.

1 Like

Or the liberals cheering over the higher death rates in “Trump country”.

4 Likes

And I stress over having to drive to the grocery store more than once a month!

Ever do any cross-country jumps? I recall one where we jumped over twenty miles from the DZ on a day with a stiff high-level wind and a moderate mid-level wind. Those alone wouldn’t have made the jump work; we plotted it so we could take advantage of three different spots that generated updrafts in nearly all weather.

Anything you can convince people deserves the label “War on X”.

An Oregon legislator argued that the payouts should have been linked to getting the vaccines.

Makes me think of the nursing home fiasco early on: some nursing homes stubbornly refused to upgrade the filters in their heating system; the infection rates there were massive compared to places that upgraded their filters.

I remember one fitness club trying to get allowed to have every other tennis court open.

I got a lot of conservation work done without having to worry about so many people in the way. The catch was it added another mile of hiking to each day. When things opened up a little more I ended up serving as an expert on staying safe – for some reason people seemed to think that because I understood the local ecology I understood disease.

We didn’t have that extreme, but for a good six weeks every county and city parking lot was blocked off. The county even dumped ridges of construction rock to shut down more casual parking areas for beaches and trails.

1 Like

I did not imagine anything. You were using restrictions from around the world. What I did was ask did your grandkids face that. Because I’m guessing they were not. You keep cherry picking how various places handled it and I’m asking you how you handled it.

So it seems like your grandkids could not play tennis or go to a park. A place where kids touch everything who gets held by parents and so on.

I pointed out numerous times how there was still dozens of ways for people, including young kids, to enjoy being outdoors and even having others involved all the while respecting the science of social distancing. The restrictions did not prevent your grandkids from being happy and safe outside or the reason they may have not had any social interactions.

I’m just going to leave this and pull out not reading or responding to anymore posts here.

“ excuses, excuses, excuses,” said the victims.

1 Like

That sounds prudent.

It is nice for you that you had such a pleasant time while so many were suffering through lockdowns.

1 Like

I cannot imagine social distancing to a greater extent than the solitude of being high in the alpine desolation of Banff, alone with the glaciers.

They closed the national parks. I am vaccinated. I wore a mask. But to be forbidden to hike was madness.

And no alternative was suggested to find other outdoor locations or safe outside activity. During this announcement, Canada’s federal environment minister of explicitly stated “you need to stay home”.

3 Likes

Here they tried to close the beaches. People just parked along the roads and walked in anyway. Most people understood that at the beach there was salt air that was bad for viruses plus sunshine which was also bad for them. And even then they were smart enough to keep ten feet between groups on the paths to the beach.

Our county was doing quite well until the lockdown eased some, and suddenly we were inundated by people from the cities bringing infection with them. Foolishly they waited until they got here to buy snacks and other stuff, which meant they swarmed into our stores – and were bad a social distancing.

2 Likes

I remember the out of shape policeman trying to chase down and arrest the jogger for running on the beach. The officer lost.

That’s hilarious.

I don’t think anyone tried to keep people from jogging on the beach here. It was seriously silly trying to do that since the beach is definitely a place where transmission of a virus is highly unlikely between wind, salt air, and sunshine.

3 Likes

I am sorry for all the crazy things that have happened. There were many variables, and as illustrated by the variations in pandemics over time above, anything from a few thousand to millions (as in the Spanish flu or bubonic plague) could die. I think that we can understand that people on both sides meant well. It could have been the Spanish flu–that was awful (see the diagram above). I would hate to have a medical director who opted to sacrifice potentially millions in favor of the economy or being popular… Life is more important than liberty, especially in the short term.

One of the things that I still struggle with is that some, even with Covid, could not visit their sick and dying relatives with Covid in the ICU. My sister was an ICU nurse who, in PPE, used her own phone to help couples communicate by video. It broke her heart.

That changed with time, and couples were allowed to be together and mourn.

Our health system was much different from some others in terms of communication. Medical facilities do not want Covid–with shutting down money making activities like elective heart surgery and hip replacements, many health systems not only lost a lot of revenue, but had to lay valuable team members off. Our system (Spectrum Health, now Corewell) took voluntary pay cuts across the board, to keep staff going. The leadership communicated with us by daily group email with statistics, including the number testing positive, the rationale behind shutting down elective work and clinics, and when and where to mask, etc. The staff infectious disease and pulmonologists all worked together, and an immunologist offered to personally answer emailed and chat boarded questions (which were good ones. Our group allowed those who had had Covid to work, and did not rely only on those who were vaccinated, although encouraging it, to improve immunity). We knew that masks were not for control, but to keep our own transmission down–no one wanted to lose their job by cutting back on income (for a selfish reason), but of course, much more important was the frail oncology and other immune compromised patients who were at much higher risk.

During the 2021 fall spike, when emergency rooms were full to overflowing, and even stroke and heart patients could not get a bed, primary care providers volunteered to help with inpatient work while the infectious disease and pulmonologists ran the ICU (my partner did; I did not have to do that).

Our satisfaction rate was much better, as our leadership communicated and listened.

I do hope that we can learn more about how to deal with future pandemics–as they will come. Some may be much, much worse, depending on the mode of transmission and novelty of the type of antigen. However, none are the same, and it is quite likely we will make mistakes. I appreciate that we can laugh about some things, and hope we can do better.

Community spread is still a problem. Pregnant women who get Covid have a high risk of bad outcomes from clots, and have to take blood thinner shots, for example. Someone from our church was very ill and delivered early; her son still at 2 1/2 years of age has feeding problems and needs a percutaneous feeding tube because of poor weight gain.

I agree we do need feedback. People suffered. I think they did the best they could. As we have better understanding of communication, we need humor and understanding, with ability to learn. It has been said that freedom is the ability to serve others. If we can communicate the vision, then we can all get behind the problem better.

Thanks.

10 Likes

Speaking of cars, my dad owned something like this 1958 Buick two door model, with chrome and fins, when I was a kid. I have a bit of PTSD from a story in which I stayed in the car when my mom went in a store to pick up some groceries. She asked me to stay put. One would think I would be fine in that huge interior (it was almost like a room in the back seat), but I, feeling bored, decided to go in and find her. I swung the huge door out–and dented the next door car’s finish very badly! The lady who came back was quite upset. It was quite a beautiful car, in some ways. And I deserved the grounding I got afterward.

King Of Bling! 1958 Buick Limited Hardtop | Barn Finds

Thanks.

Wonderful post Randy and i agree wholeheartedly.
Its all good and well for naysayers to retrspectively continue grizzling, however, tbe community was struggling with something (COVID) that had not well understood consequences in tue event it got out of control. I think that tue biggest issue was the political recognition we generally did not have the medical or social infrastructure to handle a potential catastrophe.
The fear of the unknown sometimes means we must take a safety first at all costs approach. The thing with COVID was, it was not entirely unknown…it was potentially much worse than its predecessors.
For me personally, it was very frightening early on. I recall walking into a shopping centre and having an anxiety attack at the sheer number of people in close proximity…walking into isles only to have to essentially “back out”…going shopping in a major Australian suburb only to find the local woolworths devoid of eadible food save craploads of chocolate…

I recal fighting to hold back my tears on that shopping trip with my then 4 year old daughter (an effort that ultimately failed once i got back to the car practically empty handed save a small quantity of party snacks and then the tears flowed freely)…

Those were tough times even for those of us who found the restrictions relatively easy because of open space surrounding our immediate homes.

I dare not go to far into the toilet paper fiasco. Why the heck did we stock up on dunny paper? i still cannot understand how that became “priorité”? If you dont have food and cant eat, why do you expect to need to poop? If you arent full of poop, why the need for so much pooping paper?

1 Like