Are there contradictions in the Bible

It is frequently stated that there are two creation accounts in Genesis. I firmly disagree. For example, the so called second account lists plants as being created after man. While the first account clearly says that plants were created before man. Please read this quote from the Bible - Genesis 2:8 “And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.” Before man God created most plants, after man God created only those plants requiring cultivation, namely a garden for man.

Welcome!

Anyway, It’s not just that, it’s that YHWH formed the animals after man, the context is unambiguous that it refers to literal creation

Genesis 1-11 has two different sources, which I term the Qenite and Sutean sources. Genesis 1 is part of the Sutean source, linked to the Sethite lineage. Genesis 2 is part of the Qenite source, linked to the Cainite lineage.

Ya…I have heard the same thing. There are not two creation accounts in Genesis. People who say that just want there to be in order that it fit their narrative. The bible has no contradictions. If it did, then you could not trust any of God’s word, since God contradictions are basically falsehoods, and God is not a liar.

Incorrect! Think I am wrong? read it for yourself. God brings them to Adam, this is not forming them in any way, it is leading to Adam so that he can name them.

Wrong again. First and foremost you conjecture that these extra Biblical sources preceded the Bible which is incorrect.
The source is God dictating this to Moses and the fact that different cultures may have carried only part of the story along, does not prove the Bible is wrong, nor can you use these out of Bible sources to say, since changes occurred to the original account in other cultures which did not respect the truth the way that the Hebrews did, they must be included in the Bible account.

How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the Lord is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain. The wise men are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of the Lord; and what wisdom is in them? Jeremiah 8:8-9

Please read the prophets who admonish the priests and scribes for corrupting the Word of God. This happened during two major rewrites of the OT by the Jewish Scribes.The first time was after they returned from the city of the devil in the 6th century BCE and then the second time in the 3rd century BCE, after the prophets had abandoned them.

For the priest’s lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the Lord of hosts. But ye are departed out of the way; ye have caused many to stumble at the law; ye have corrupted the covenant of Levi, saith the Lord of hosts. Therefore have I also made you contemptible and base before all the people, according as ye have not kept my ways, but have been partial in the law. Malachi 2:7-9

Then the LORD God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”

Why would the Israelites make a story where the Qenites were the made with the help of YHWH (Genesis 4:1), were the first to worship YHWH (through sacrifice, along with Abel) and received a mark of divine protection from YHWH? All this contradicts the notion of YHWH’s covenants being eternal if God decided to change his mind and favour Israel, and all this suggests that the Qenites were first to worship YHWH, and likely wrote Genesis 4, and probably Genesis 2-3.

Have your forgotten Noah’s flood?
Genesis was a retelling of the actual, earlier events that were given by God to Moses and recorded in the writings of the Hebrew people.
Where do you even gt the Qenites from, the Quran?
The Quran is quite accurate, though it often lacks details even here, on people and events that are also listed in the Hebrew Scriptures, but have little to no support in archeology for any person or event of Bible Times which is not mentioned in the Bible, while I now suspect that the Qenites may just be one of these fictitious people groups.

No, the Qenites are in the Bible, and are nowhere mentioned in the Quran.

And the descendants of the Kenite, Moses’ father-in-law, went up with the people of Judah from the city of palms into the wilderness of Judah, which lies in the Negeb near Arad, and they went and settled with the people.

Also, the Quran is not accurate, and I am not a muslim

It was probably a regional flood in the Persian gulf region.

Hi, Dominic - just a bit of procedural advice for you here:

It will be easier for readers to follow your replies if you show what bit of text you are referring or reacting to. To do that just highlight (select) the bit of text that got your attention and click the grey ‘quote’ button that immediately appears. Then it will be easier for others to follow your line of thought. Glad you’re here. And welcome to the forum! (in case I hadn’t welcomed you yet.)

P.S. -and you can also correct and edit already posted material of your own by clicking the grey pencil icon underneath the post. As I did just now to correct something I wrote above.

Then why would God send a rainbow to signifying never to flood the earth again?

It was probably a what? “A regional flood,” you say!
With consistent fossil layers covering large areas of the planet, all laid down in one uniform event, and some layers of living matter, being hundreds of feet thick as it takes about ten feet of plant and animal matter to form one foot of hard coal and there are areas where there is such coal in a forty foot tall layer that lies beneath many square miles of land surface. While what about metal, man made artifacts that have been found inside of such coal layers?
The real evidence is for a World Wide Flood, the only reason to deny this is mankind’s belief that nothing which has not been measured by man can occur.

1 Like

Let’s try to unpack this a bit.

What layers are you thinking of? There are geological strata that are consistent across the globe but there is no single strata that is worldwide. The fossils layers are not mixed up, and in many cashes have great nonconformities (like the Grand Canyon has some part of the sequence completely gone from erosion and then the sequence continues above that).

Hmm? That is a hypothesis that Christian Geologists rejected in the 18th and 19th centuries. It certainly was not from a single event.

Do you imagine this was formed by hundreds of feet of animals and plants all mixed together and compressed? How does coal support a young Earth now?

Completely made up and fabricated by pseudoacheologists.

Unfortunately it seems you’ve been taught completely the opposite of what a careful study of God’s creation tells us. There is no evidence for a global flood. It’s honesty with God’s creation that got the original Christian geologists to reject it, not any metaphysical beliefs.

3 Likes

I never said the biblical account was entirely factual, only that it is based on a real flood.

Genesis 1 & 2: Different Accounts? (“Debunking the 7 Myths that Deny Biblical Truth” Series)
Genesis 2 is not a different creation story to Genesis 1; rather Genesis 2 expands on the events of day 6 particularly in relation to Adam and Eve.

The end of that video leans heavily on the idea that ancient writers using Hebrew had no way to record the timing or sequence of events (apart from explicitly numbering a series of days, presumably), so we can adjust the creation of animals in Genesis 2 by changing “formed” to “had formed.” But this isn’t fair to ancient Hebrew, and this rewriting of Genesis 2 isn’t fair to the inspired story we actually possess. An earlier thread got into the details here and here.

Besides, as I already pointed out, the context suggests God would ‘make’ a helper.