Another "What do we do with slavery in the OT?" thread

Sure it is, especially in the OT.

No, it isn’t.

@David1

oh brother. Signing up for being an indentured servant is a known practice.

But the Leviticus description of passing non-Hebrew slaves on from parents to children should be enough to show you that the chattel definition still applied to slave practices on Aliens and Non-Hebrew servitude.

1 Like

But you’re forgetting: It was a voluntary enlistment. They did not run to foreigners and start stealing people, and buying stolen people was just as immoral as stealing them. Therefore, if they weren’t “stolen” (forced, by, well, force) to be slaves, what’s the alternative?

Tell me how Deuteronomy 7:6 isn’t racist.
“The Lord your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on Earth to be his people, his treasured possession.”

Numbers 25:4 Take all the chiefs of the people, and impale them in the sun before the Lord, in order that the fierce anger of the Lord may turn away from Israel.

Numbers25:5 Each of you shall kill any of your people who have yoked themselves to the Midianite god.

Deuteronomy 7:1-6 When the Lord your God brings you into the land that you are to occupy aand he clears away many nations before you you must utterly destroy them

According to God, the Jews were the superior race.

1. They were His treasured possession since that bloodline was chosen to bring the Christ into the world, not because He thought Asians or Europeans were racially inferior.

2. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (Galatians).

3. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. (John 13:16).

Maybe I’m not seeing the same evil, racist deity you are?

@David1

Obviously this bizarre refutation that Israelites would never buy a “stolen” person has no connection to even this one part from Leviticus:

Leviticus 25:44-46
“Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.” [i.e. slaves]

"Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession."

“And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen [slaves] for ever . . .” "

It would seem you are genuinely convinced that if a slave has children, then keeping the children as slaves (for life) is not stealing them. Utter bunk.

2 Likes

Oh He becomes less racist by the time of the new testament? But in Luke 12:47-48 He is still pro-salvery:

That slave who knew what his master wanted, but did not prepare himself or do what was wanted, will receive a severe beating. But the one who did not know and did what deserved a beating will receive a light beating.

The child could run away if he didn’t like living under his master. If he did like living under his master, he’d have free housing, food and protection. Disagree with it? Run for it.

1. That was a parable.

2. I was discussing equality, not slavery in the New Testament.

Run away at the risk of death …
run away when your children could not keep up the pace?

The scripture specifically says spouse and children are not the part of the slave who would emancipate himself.

You are rationalizing a world view that cannot be rationalized.

The wife and children could run away from their master, too, so…

Keep up the pace? They didn’t literally run for their lives, all they had to do was leave. Someone couldn’t force them to stay. The only case in which I believe someone had to stay, legally, was criminals who had to pay for a crime to their tribe.

Bye, David.

Tata. :slight_smile: I enjoyed the conversation, I hope to speak with you again in the future. Read those articles I sent you, I haven’t read them all just yet (I need to get to the last two), let me know how they are.

1 Like

Equality in the NT? Not for woman. Not for Slaves. Not for homosexuals. Not even for the disabled.

And talk about family values in Luke 14:26 “Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, even life itself, cannot be my disciple”

1 Like

I expected slightly better from you. Christ taught us to love our neighbors, but hate our families? Sorry, you obviously haven’t researched the meaning of that (again), non-literal command. It means to put Christ first in our lives, above all else. That’s how the Hebrew language functioned.

I already shared verses on equality, so you can resort back to them to answer your first incorrect statements.

1 Like

what is your explanation of this verse in Luke?

David already gave it. And honestly it isn’t his job to defend every verse you find unacceptable. Check out a commentary.

1 Like

All slaves everywhere have the option of running away. Even impressionable children have the option of walking away. Why not say that prisoners have the option of escaping, making imprisonment voluntary?

For crying out sideways! Do you really think somebody would buy a slave knowing that he could simply walk off if he didn’t fancy his condition?

1 Like

No sharp division between Jew and Gentile in the OT?

1 Like