Another link Kevin wants you to check out

https://scienceleadership.org/blog/god_didn-t_make_man-man_made_gods

If religion is a man made concept, then how can we know if it’s true let alone Christianity?

By dying. . . .

If religion is a man made concept, then you can’t know if it’s true, let alone Christianity.

Next question… :rofl:

1 Like

So your just suppose to gamble on it?

Either way the author does make some good points:

“Looking at any religious piece, one will find numerous controversial and inconsistent statements. However, there are already numerous articles that thoroughly explain these points. If one were to look at the most undiscussed argument that could be used to show that the construction of religion was by man, it would be the personality of god. In numerous religions, God displays disappointment, anger, regret, happiness, and numerous other human emotions. How is it possible for an all powerful enlightened being to display human characteristics and still be labeled as the deity it is supposed to be? The attributes given to God, a divine deity, are similar to those possessed by his imperfect creation, humans. It can be concluded that God’s attributes are a reflection of his creators and a direct representation of how man perceives themselves. Furthermore, the male father figure traits given to God show that God was designed around the male father figure.”

“Religion being manmade does not disprove the fact that the bible and other religious texts were constructed 100’s of years ago. Archeologist have found evidence to show that the first handwritten bible was produced in around 1380. Over the years the bible has been re-written and translated into numerous other languages. However, its followers still believe in the usefulness of it when there are clearly outdated principles. While God is a reflection of man, the bible is a reflection of the time when it was originally written. Due to that time period, there are numerous principles stated in the bible that would seem absurd if they were ever brought up in modern times. The main examples of this are found in bible verses that could be labeled as sexist. For example, In Timothy 2:11 it is said; “I permit no woman to teach or have authority of man.” This verse is clearly a reflection of the time when the bible was written. A time when women were below man and were seen as nothing more than an object of sex. In 1380, for it to believed that a woman has no right to teach a man is extremely logical. This leads to bible verses such as that of Timothy 2:11 to be seen as controversial in the equality striving world we live in. Yet logical to the sexist, racist world that was around when the bible was being constructed.”

“In conclusion, religion being created by man is not an idea that most lead to pure chaos and self doubt. Instead it should bring questions as to how the human nature truly is. Why do humans constantly need answers? Why do humans fear not having answers to the point where they must create answers? The system of religions have been around for centuries. It is possible that as time goes on the same way the beliefs of the Greek became labeled as myths eventually the same will occur to Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and so forth.”

Here are the points that stood out to me and that i cannot really find a way to refute:

“In numerous religions, God displays disappointment, anger, regret, happiness, and numerous other human emotions. How is it possible for an all powerful enlightened being to display human characteristics and still be labeled as the deity it is supposed to be? The attributes given to God, a divine deity, are similar to those possessed by his imperfect creation, humans. It can be concluded that God’s attributes are a reflection of his creators and a direct representation of how man perceives themselves. Furthermore, the male father figure traits given to God show that God was designed around the male father figure.”

"The main examples of this are found in bible verses that could be labeled as sexist. For example, In Timothy 2:11 it is said; “I permit no woman to teach or have authority of man.” This verse is clearly a reflection of the time when the bible was written. A time when women were below man and were seen as nothing more than an object of sex. In 1380, for it to believed that a woman has no right to teach a man is extremely logical. This leads to bible verses such as that of Timothy 2:11 to be seen as controversial in the equality striving world we live in. Yet logical to the sexist, racist world that was around when the bible was being constructed.”

"The system of religions have been around for centuries. It is possible that as time goes on the same way the beliefs of the Greek became labeled as myths eventually the same will occur to Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and so forth.”

God is the original possessor of personhood and the origin of ours, not the result of it.

1 Like

These two phrases have no connection with each other. Science is a man made concept. Being a man made concept is irrelevant to the question of how you know its true. And the answer to how you know its true is complete different in those two cases.

As for the first quoted statement… I never anything so nonsensical. This is just about the most superficial and ignorant thing I have ever heard.

Incorrect. Looking at MANY religious pieces you will find numerous controversial and inconsistent statements. But guess what… LOL… looking at many SCIENCE pieces you will you will find numerous controversial and inconsistent statements. Again this is irrelevant.

Where does the premise for this statement come from? Power and enlightenment precludes disappointment, anger, regret, happiness, and numerous other human emotions? Says who? Sounds to me like something a psychopath would say.

But the second quote does much better.

Agreed! And the passage which follows is even worse, contradicting the central gospel message of both Jesus and Paul. This was a very ill considered addition to the text by a complete ignoramous.

2 Likes

Do you think judaism, christianity, and islam will be considered myths in the future or will they retain there influence?

In regards to the last point i listed and based on current trends and statistics of course.

I think people will continue to find inspiration and value in these religion by reconsidering their meaning. Meanwhile there will new religions as well and the old ones will have to share their influence with the new ones.

Do you mean many as in comparing say the bible to the quran or many as in looking at any and all religious pieces individually?

So how do i find the answer to know it’s true in the first and second case?

I don’t really understand your question… I will simply rephrase my meaning.

There are many different religious productions in writing, speeches, video, etc… and many of them have controversial and inconsistent statements. But just because something is religious or scientific doesn’t mean this is more or less the case than the other.

Science is about written procedures which give the same result no matter what you want or believe, so you must indeed subtract whatever “placebo” element there may be to what you observe. But in the case of religion it is about what you want and believe. It is not just about reality OUT THERE but about YOU as a part of it and what role you decide to play in it.

So in the case of science you look for the demonstration of the facts in the results of experimental procedures making sure that they are testing their hypothesis and not simply looking for whatever proof they can find for what they are selling like a lawyer or used car salesman.

In the case or religion, it is more about looking at yourself, who you want to be, and how you can become what you want to be – you have to find what works for you, what speaks to you, and has a ring of truth of it. Just because it works or sounds right for the guy talking to you doesn’t mean it will help you. But I really don’t think a Pascal’s wager is at all legit – that is a really bad con!

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying.

On an unrelated note, is there a better alternative to pascals wager?

There will always be Christians, since it is the only one that is true, is one way of looking at it. (It should readily be deduced that I am not a premillennialist. ; - )

Knowing God. (Finding him first is the obvious prerequisite.)

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who approaches Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.
Hebrews 11:6

Are you an earnest seeker?

True religion is not all about oneself and minimally about oneself at all. It’s way more about being childlike.

You’re starting off from a premise that may not be the same for everyone. I don’t think Christianity is man made. I think
Christianity is faith in Yahweh and his son, Jesus. I think the Bible is his inspired word. I think it’s just as much divine as it is human. But is it a gamble? Ultimates. It’s faith. There is no guarantee just hope.