Andrew Peterson: Cultivating Community and Wonder

In this interview, Andrew Peterson talks about the importance of community in the arts, and how the arts can enrich the church and science, deepening our sense of wonder.

4 Likes

I’ve been waiting and waiting for BioLogos to do an interview with Andrew Peterson!

4 Likes

Really enjoyed the article. Definitely agree that there is beauty and need for both the metaphors and mechanics of something. I’m curious about the science behind the microbes and fingernails. But nonetheless, I am someone who greatly appreciates nature and find the science and lore and the ways we can apply them to ourselves as wonderful. I’ll have to see if I can find book on one of the audiobooks sites I use and if not, I’ll definitely buy it.

2 Likes

So great to see this article! It’s funny how topics that seem opposite (science and art) have so much overlap and so many things to learn from the other.

I have been following along with the “Rabbit Room Chinwag” group on Facebook, and enjoy reading their book recommendations and other things. I like that it’s one of the few Christian communities I see on Facebook that’s not constantly devolving into denominational/theological bickering, which I know requires strong, consistent moderation, but it’s always an encouragement to me to see Christian communities embracing mystery and not being all about trying to convince everyone about having the “one right way” to view every single thing.

I just finished reading his memoir, and I wondered about that too. But I also thought about how, as he says, it’s easy to get caught up in the mechanics of things, so gardening may be one of those things that’s beneficial to us in multiple ways that are hard to quantify.

2 Likes