Amazing commentary discovered

@Homeschool_Forum Right now I’m in full planning mode for homeschooling next year. I’ve been doing a lot of reading about Charlotte Mason and her methods and resources, and I came across something I think is very timely and will probably help a lot of others on here.

She used Bible commentaries from an author named J. Paterson Smyth. They are all available online for free as they are pretty old. Considering how old they are though, what he writes is perfect for our current situation.

He also wrote a series of commentaries on books of the Bible for a younger audience. I’ve previewed the one on Genesis, and he even talks about the millions of years as true and in context of the Bible! This all in Victorian age England!! I think I’ve found exactly what I’ve been looking for here. They are published by “Yesterday’s Classics” and available on Amazon.

Here are a few quotes so you see what I mean:

"Let us believe, as we are bound to do in the case of every honest thinker, that his rising disquiet and dissatisfaction are but the means through which the God of truth is helping him to higher truth. Let us notice how his attitude toward the Bible is affected by the different phases of thought with which he comes in contact. "I do not reject or disbelieve the Bible, " he says. “far from it. But my mind is disturbed about it. My faith is shaken. I read some expressions of its inspired men that seem to me far below the standard of Christ. I hear of discrepancies in its history, of contradictions to established decisions of science, of crudeness and imperfection in its early moral teaching,… I hard know what to believe about it.” It goes on and on, but there is good stuff here!

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll have to check that out. I remember being surprised to hear that Charlotte Mason accepted evolution, but it’s probably because I was still under the assumption that “Christians accepting evolution” was somehow a “recent” trend.

1 Like

All of his commentaries are available here for free as PDFs, since they are not copyrighted due to their age. The Genesis one is in here as well. I’m going to take some time to go through all of them. So far I like what I’m reading.