Adam, Eve and human population genetics, Part 14: addressing critics - Poythress, population genomics, and locating the historical Adam (conclusion) | The BioLogos Forum

ace, the paper estimation base on experiment and also consider differnet conditions

The important point here is that it was an estimate. I get the impression that you don’t understand what that word means so it would be helpful if you started there: ESTIMATE Definition & Usage Examples | Dictionary.com

It was the best guess that they could make back in 2002 based on the science they had available to them at the time. They didn’t state that it was a hard and fast rule and they didn’t actually test the survivability of DNA in all possible conditions - rather they just looked at a range of temperatures.

“the rates of which are believed to be controlled by temperature and pH”

“Fossils with diagenetic histories dominated by slow, chemicalprocesses provide us with the bestopportunity to explore fully the limits of biomolecular survival. These limits have been studied using the kinetics of chemical degradation forDNA, collagen and osteocalcin.”

"members of the ABG have conducted a comprehensive estimate of the limit of DNA survival, which they believe to lie at 17 500 years at a constanttemperature of 10|

Yes, they discuss the fact that pH can affect survivability but they didn’t test this using a range of pH values and they didn’t test this using real world conditions - rather they studied the kinetics of chemical degradation as it operated under lab conditions.

we talking about most of the stalactites

That’s irrelevant because by averaging all their ages, you’ve lost all resolution. You’re no longer looking at maximum possible age for stalactites because this signal has been drowned out by the many young stalactites. Is it a coincidence that most stalactites are young? No, why should it be?

Rapid Changes in Oxygen Isotope Content of Ice Cores | Answers in Genesis

This article is irrelevant because it is about oxygen isotope content in ice cores. It has nothing to do with stalactites.

maybe those crystals form after the acceleration?

This argument doesn’t even make sense. If that was the case then accelerated decay rates couldn’t explain the amount lead we see today in some zircon crystals.

if a high temp can accelerate those methods, and we know that this temp was in the history of earth

No we don’t know this. The earth has never been 200M Kelvin (far hotter than the core of the sun). Even if the earth had been this hot, it is irrelevant because we only start uranium dating from when rocks first start to form. Magma starts to crystalise below 1200 degrees celsius so the types of temperatures we are talking about here have never been an issue. The uranium clocks that we are measuring here only start ticking once magma is cool enough to solidify and form crystals.

Once again: They are not dating the age of the atoms (I can’t help but laugh that you think such a thing is even possible), they are dating the age of the rocks and igneous rock only forms once magma cools below 1200 degrees

1 Like

Hi JohnZ,

Thanks for your always intelligent and considered responses.

“It does not address the data. Generalizations such as this appear to me to be a special pleading.”

This is rather the point, it does address the data; I pointed out the fact that the generality of data in the field yields consistent results and that to state otherwise is to level an accusation that you seem unwilling to do more than insinuate. It then addresses the fact that when creationists do not do the work, they preferentially share and present only data that is problematic instead of being representative. When they do have a hand in doing the work (by locating and sending the samples), I doubt fraud, but it seems that they did to take the proper care to avoid contamination, that they did not select appropriate samples from datable geologic contexts and that there appear to be a number of procedural errors, all of this according to experts who have reviewed their results from the outside. Since contamination is such an issue in this field, since there is reason to believe that it may especially be the case with their results and since their results do not seem to match what is generally found to be the case by geologists, then yes, I really do think that their findings can be dismissed without any discussion of bias or fraud. As for the first case, where they were not involved in the work at all; the preferential collection and presentation of only the discrepant data, even when outdated (prior to improved lab techniques and identified problems with the method), is definitely to be attributed to bias, and if you’d like me to put a name on it, I will call it pious fraud, only rendered pious by the fact that they only avoid outright lying in the sense that they are not inventing the data whole-cloth (though selecting the data is not qualitatively better from my point of view). Don’t ask me to psychoanalyze why anyone would preferentially collect data in such a doubtful way, I don’t know.

“When radiometric dating is used, why do the forms for samples submitted ask how old the submission is expected to be? Why is that necessary?”

I don’t strictly know, and I’ve never seen such forms, but I would assume that the rather obvious solution to this mystery is that it aids them in their selection of which methods are more appropriate (one’s that are dependent on the appropriate half-lives in order to obtain results within an optimal detection range) so that they don’t waste enormous amounts of money producing wildly inconsistent data due to the use of a method that is completely inapplicable – like oh I don’t know, using carbon dating for ancient coal deposits. But that seemingly reasonable suggestion aside, why don’t we come out and say the alternative? You don’t seem to want to be up front with the suggestion of fraud, but isn’t this the alternative being suggested? Are you not suggesting that this form aids the lab by helping them to select the data, dismissing anything that doesn’t seem to fit the expected time range? Sorry, but in the scientific world, this is called fraud, and it doesn’t make it something else just because you managed to avoid using the word.

“Why can we say one method will work in a given situation and not another?”

There are many resources that discuss why one method is more appropriate than another given different samples and why some samples work where others don’t, so this doesn’t need to remain such a mystery. In looking into it, you will notice that the reasoning is more in this category: “…because based on the identification of such and such a feature in the geologic context, it can be ascertained that the rock has been re-heated since formation, which would therefore render the dates incorrect/introduce contamination…” than in this category: “…because it was found that this method tends to yield results that are always very old, and since we think that the rocks must be very old, it must be the right one to use…” Again, please look into this, as you seem to be insinuating something that does not match how the scientists actually address such issues. I am always amazed at the degree of duplicity that some people feel comfortable attributing to scientists, and I’m afraid that it always makes me jump to the conclusion that they don’t actually know any or that, at a minimum, they don’t have any sense for how the ones that they do know practice their trade. I am sorry if I am mistaken in such assumptions and I really shouldn’t be so quick to make such judgments.

“Why does not the data itself explain whether the method has worked or not?”

Data never exactly explains itself; you always need controls, you always need to check for contamination, you generally need to consider statistical significance and you always need to take into account surprising results, all the while considering that surprising results, when relatively infrequent and not displaying a particular pattern, often have fairly prosaic explanations (like contamination). Finally, you need a theoretical framework (as we have with rates of radioactive decay and the time that this represents). The old “stop muzzling the data” routine tends to assume that data speaks into some kind of a vacuum, and that we need to be some sort of tabula rasa in order to approach it honestly; but that ain’t science I’m afraid.

“In the example I gave, the rock was submitted in an unbiased manner, with no presumption of age.”

Unless you are suggesting that samples are submitted in the geological community in a biased manner (which seems to be the insinuation), this is immaterial. If creationists interpret a failure to identify the geologic context of the sample and a failure to provide information that will allow the lab to use appropriate techniques during analysis as some kind of lack of bias instead of interpreting it as criminal negligence, then I can only say that they are excellent salesmen, not excellent scientists. Frankly, you need to presume age in order to select the most appropriate methods and you need a good idea of context in order to assess contamination issues or appropriateness of the sample (some samples, for known reasons, will not work for dating techniques; you’ve already helped me to name some). If they assumed no age (doubtful) but failed to use appropriate radiometric methods, failed to account for geologic context and failed to follow appropriate procedures, or any one of the above; then weird results are quite normal. Fraud or conspiracy don’t come into it. Failure to follow appropriate procedures (including the questionnaires of which you are so suspicious and resulting choices on how to handle the samples) is quite a reliable way of gaining the hoped for result; extremely bad data. If we leave fraud out of it, I have the choice of trusting the vast majority of scientists, who have systematically and persistently identified and controlled for methodological problems over the last 50 years, or a small group of individuals, not peer reviewed by their critical colleagues, who have failed to appropriately identify samples or geologic context to the labs doing the testing, while produced extremely inconsistent results (suspiciously having no motivation at all to actually produces consistent results, whether or not this had any impact, conscious or subconscious, on their approach) that don’t match what is being seen in the rest of the field, and whose work has been seriously lambasted for following inappropriate procedures. Do you honestly blame me, coming from this point of view, for refusing to rewrite my entire perspective based on this? I obviously information with a far better pedigree to even begin reconsidering.

“I have heard a quote (or read one) of one scientist saying that if C14 results corroborate their assumptions they use the “dates”, if they don’t, then they discard the results. I am not saying this is conspiracy, but of course, he is being careful and conscientious to use dates that make sense to him…”

Please stop saying that you are not saying this is a conspiracy; if everyone in the scientific field is routinely following a profoundly biased and dishonest procedure (which would have to be the case for your assertions to be true), while routinely failing to disclose the actual representative data, then it is to be called what it is, a conspiracy. It’s irrelevant whether or not you like using the word. If it is true that there is a scientist that is routinely selecting data based on assumed age (as opposed to selecting the method based on the presumed age), then (a) the creationists must have loved his/her line and quoted it to the ends of the earth and (b) he/she is obviously being dishonest and should be called out by colleagues. I have no doubt that there is such a being as a dishonest geologist, and I’m glad we can agree on the existence of such a person as being a significant possibility.

In your final few paragraphs, are you are saying that for any method to be considered reliable, it needs to be checked against something that is datable and reliable within the last 200,000 years (like ice cores, I suppose)? You can probably get your wish for some dating methods if you look into it. So what’s the subtext here; is it that if we fail to check this for some methods (which we must for methods that have half lives measuring in many millions of years), there may have been some fundamental change in nuclear physics prior to that point, causing fundamentally different decay rates and patterns, and for some reason not affecting the chemistry that makes life possible? Yes, this is always possible, but it isn’t always so easy and inconsequential to mess with nuclear physics as you might think (chemistry is rather sensitive to such meddling), and given that the different methods, when appropriately applied, seem to give consistent results, this change would have to affect all isotopes in a very special way, multiplying their result to the same extent, which does not seem to be the case for any known or even imagined factor. Whatever is causing this change in rates would have to be of a very odd character to produce exactly the effect you are looking for. I will suggest, as I did with Dcscccc, that maybe this is where we can look to miracles to accomplish the desired outcome and I simply have no other helpful suggestions.

For your C14 point, it is well know that there are multiple other sources of C14 in play that seem to raise the background in many samples, including bacterial/fungal sources that are far more extensive than previously thought and the de novo introduction of C14 by radioactive decay of the uranium-thorium isotope series that is naturally found in rocks. I think you need to take for granted that scientists are critical enough that when they see serious and systematic discrepancies, they take the trouble to look into them in a serious and systematic way (and that they may have an answer that the creationist sources neglected to trumpet). You once again give the impression that they simply ignore it for convenience sake and I am again amazed that you are so obviously comfortable with assuming this. Please try the benefit of the doubt and see what they have to say for themselves (unfiltered by creationist sources); this is really the best and most sincere way of approaching such an issue. Perhaps you did this, but you certainly give no intimation that you are aware of any scientific explanation for such results.

1 Like

Here is a far more helpful quote from Kirk Bertsch’s analysis of RATE’s results concerning known sources of C14. I would strongly recommend that you read his whole ASA paper, and I would love to hear what you think if you get around to it.

“Coal is notorious for contamination [22]. Uranium is often found in or near coal, releasing neutrons that generate radiocarbon in the coal from nitrogen. Mobile humic acids are almost always present and can transport more recent carbon to the coal. Microbial growth can incorporate modern carbon from groundwater while in situ and from air after sample collection. Coal can easily adsorb atmospheric CO2 after collection. Carbonates often exhibit anomalous radiocarbon values, potentially becoming contaminated by adsorption of atmospheric CO2 [23]. Nadeau et al detail anomalies with marine carbonates, i.e., shells and foraminifera, suggesting that “the carbonate crystal structure of the shells … may incorporate atoms, at some later stage, from its surrounding [sic] for the curing process” [24]. A similar contamination mechanism occurs in bone, where carbonates can be “transported into the bone matrix from the groundwater and soil environment by chemical exchange and/or through dissolution and reprecipitation processes” and bone collagen has been found to give much more reliable dates than bone carbonates [25].
But these anomalies are specific to carbonates and do not apply to other materials, e.g., wood. Most of the wood samples and some of the coal and carbonate samples in Baumgardner’s Table 1 show radiocarbon values consistent with sample chemistry, thus showing no evidence of intrinsic radiocarbon.”

Bren, you have given some good answers. Perhaps they use forms to decide which method to use to avoid using methods they will later discover are in the low or high range. For example, using the K-Ar method when the accuracy is in the 270,000 yr range results an indeterminate age. Could be 1 yr or 200,000 yrs. They should have used a method that dates in the mid-range of the method. And if a method produces an anomalous date, obviously contamination. If it produces a date that makes sense, then obviously no contamination, or the contamination is so small it is insignificant.

When determining nutrient content in a soil sample, providing context is irrelevant, It doesn’t matter where the soil came from, what was grown on it, nor what is planned for it. However, when interpreting the nutrient supplying power, or the future availability of a nutrient compared to its present value, then cropping history, time of year of sample, and planned crop is relevant. In the case of half-lives or remaining residual of decay product, it is not unscientific to avoid biasing the selection of the method. In the example of doing this, the example given of comparing four different methods found that while the K-Ar method generally found a young age of less than 270,000 with some anomalies up to 10 times higher than the high minimum, and a million times higher than the actual, the other three methods (isochron methods) found ages in the hundreds of millions up to several billion years. In addition, the various components of the rock also dated at greatly different ages. So which method is valid? They were all contaminated? Wiens has said, “There are indeed ways to “trick” radiometric dating if a single dating method is improperly used on a sample. Anyone can move the hands on a clock and get the wrong time. Likewise, people actively looking for incorrect radiometric dates can in fact get them. Geologists have known for over forty years that the potassium-argon method cannot be used on rocks only twenty to thirty years old. Publicizing this incorrect age as a completely new finding was inappropriate.” So this sounds definitive, but when three other methods were used on the same young rock, they gave even older, drastically older ages. Furthermore, if the presumed date had been in the range of half a million to 3 mill yrs, then the dating would have been accepted as well, even though the measurements did not change. Nor did the ages correspond to the same tail or range of the half life age; so there was in my view no proportional correspondence.

Providing a projected date such as a few hundred million years might lead to use of the Rb-Sr method. But what if it is the wrong projected date? Without using the other methods, how would there be a check? And in this case where there were different methods used, why did they not all tend to the same end of the spectrum of datability?

Bertsch seemed to give some good answers, but I have not got time to go into it more now, so that’s it for now.

ace, the estimation base on scientific experiments. radiommetric dating also base on estimation. so im not find any different.

“It was the best guess that they could make back in 2002 based on the science they had available to them at the time. They didn’t state that it was a hard and fast rule and they didn’t actually test the survivability of DNA in all possible conditions - rather they just looked at a range of temperatures”

you think that they are not consider this at their reaserch? even if its true- do you have any other paper that check this by current knowledge?

“.That’s irrelevant because by averaging all their ages”." you’ve lost all resolution Is it a coincidence that most stalactites are young? No, why should it be?"-

first- if the average stalactite is about 50 cm. then this will be the best estimamtion. so we must check the average. its very rrelevant because it is evidence that most of the stalactites are very young. and not about more then 10000 years old.

“This argument doesn’t even make sense. If that was the case then accelerated decay rates couldn’t explain the amount lead we see today in some zircon crystals.”-

why not?

“The uranium clocks that we are measuring here only start ticking once magma is cool enough to solidify and form crystals”-

why this ticking cant be possible before the erath was form?

by the way- my knowledge about geology and physics isnt big. so this is why ask those questions. about biology and evolution- its a different story.

hi bren.

"please think this through carefully; this is before the rock layers were laid down! How is it remotely possible that this could explain a pattern of older dates in lower layers and successively more recent dates in higher layers? "-

i claim that just from the formation of the earth- we have all kinds of layers. so lets say that one layer is form. it was the most older one. after this the second layer is from (less old because is origin was from the above layers) and so on. do you think its possible?

“if you have two radioactive isotopes, one is affected by heat and the other is not, then if there is NO extreme heat and a short time frame, both would appear young”-

you right. do you have some different methods that show the same age as the other?

So what? Science experiments done in the lab are sometimes found to be different to what happens in the real world so what is your point?

radiommetric dating also base on estimation. so im not find any different.

Feel free to clarify your point here. What do you think is estimated when it comes to radiometric dating? The ratios of lead to uranium are measured precisely - there is no estimation here.

then this will be the best estimamtion

No… that will just be the average. It tells you nothing about either the maximum or the minimum.

that most of the stalactites are very young

That may be true but that isn’t evidence that the earth is young. If you wanted to use stalactites to prove that the earth was young, you would have to prove that no stalactite is older than 6000 years which you haven’t done. You should note that before stalactites even begin to form, you have to allow time for caves to dissolve which is an incredibly slow process.

“This argument doesn’t even make sense. If that was the case then accelerated decay rates couldn’t explain the amount lead we see today in some zircon crystals.”-

why not?

Because if that was the case then accelerated decay rates couldn’t explain the amount lead we see today in some zircon crystals.

why this ticking cant be possible before the erath was form?

Because uranium dating doesn’t measure the age of atoms, it measures how much time has passed since a piece of igneous rock has formed. We usually date crystals inside these rocks and these crystals form when the lava that makes up these rocks cools.

about biology and evolution- its a different story

I beg to differ.

2 Likes

ace. i will try to stay in focus and make it short.

for now we have evidence for both young and old earth. so why we should prefer one option about another that also have evidences?

about the rest- you said that: “Science experiments done in the lab are sometimes found to be different to what happens in the real world so what is your point?”-

the point is that for now, we have evidence that dna cant survive for this long time until we get a new research that will show us something else.

you said:

"What do you think is estimated when it comes to radiometric dating? "-

1)that this process stay the same for a milions of years.
2)that there is no any contamination in all those years and so on.

you said:

“That may be true but that isn’t evidence that the earth is young.”-

why not? if most of the stalalctites are young, its a good evidence.

“Because if that was the case then accelerated decay rates couldn’t explain the amount lead we see today in some zircon crystals.”-

why some and not all? i think the main point is that we find a way to accelerate radiometric method. because its make a big doubt in the methods. heat isnt the only way to change the dating from the real age. contamination is also a big problem that can make a different of 1000000% from the real age. a living snail (its shell) was date about 27000 years in c14.

for now we have evidence for both young and old earth. so why we should prefer one option about another that also have evidences?

I’ve yet to see a single piece of compelling evidence that the earth is young and I am familiar with all the arguments because I used to be a creationist like you myself.

Let me ask you something? The only people who think the earth is 6000 years old are creationists. Why do you think that is? Surely if there was just as much evidence for a young earth, there would just as many scientists who believe this who don’t have their faith as an obvious bias? The fact that there are virtually no non-believers who think the earth is 6000 years old should tell you something. It tells me that only those who are religious and have allowed their religious beliefs to sway their interpretation of the evidence believe in a young earth.

1)that this process stay the same for a milions of years.

That’s not an estimate. You’re still using that word incorrectly. That’s inductive logic.. We use inductive logic in most scientific fields. For example, we can know through induction that the gravitational constant G is a universal constant. This allows us to measure G here on earth and then use it discover things about galaxies hundreds of thousands of light years away.

2)that there is no any contamination in all those years

In the case of a zircon crystal, it would be kind of hard for lead to creep into it give that it’s a crystal. Once again this is not an estimate and this is not what estimate means.

why not? if most of the stalactites are young, its a good evidence.

There could be many reasons why many stalactites are young. The only good evidence would be showing that no stalactites exist which are older than 6000 years. Can you do that? It would take just a single old stalactite for your argument fail and there are probably tens of thousands of known old stalactites.

contamination is also a big problem that can make a different of 1000000% from the real age. a living snail (its shell) was date about 27000 years in c14

Yes contamination can be a problem with C14. You can’t just carbon date anything. Scientists know this and so only use C14 dating in very specific scenarios.

On the other hand, contamination cannot affect zircon crystals embedded in igneous rock.

Hi JohnZ,

I appreciate the fact that you seem to be addressing these questions seriously and honestly. I realize that one of the fundamental differences that separate our perspectives is the kind of confidence that we are willing to invest in scientists and in scientific institutions (at least with respect to geologists and evolutionary scientists). Because of this, I’m afraid that I would like to do something that you may not appreciate; I’d like to address our exchange in fairly general terms.

The pattern that I noticed above is that whenever we see something that may not make sense or that is susceptible to the suspicion that their treatment of the data is not above board, we both automatically give way to opposite reactions. While you look at the questionnaire that needs to be sent with the samples to AMS labs and quickly give way to the suspicion that it is used as a tool that guides them in selecting which data is to be viewed as correct and which is to be attributed to contamination, my tendency is to look at the same paper and conclude that it helps them to judge the appropriateness of the sample while selecting suitable procedures for sample processing and analysis (as discussed above). While your tendency is to take inconsistent data and conclude that it may be inferred that the method being used is unreliable, my tendency, in consideration of the shear quantity of reliable data that is claimed to routinely come out of these labs, is to think that it instead indicates that the method is susceptible, to one degree or another, to contamination or to other methodological issues. While you suspect that a quote from a scientist who works in radiometric dating may represent the tip of the iceberg in a systemic problem with cherry-picking data based only on preconceptions, my suspicion is that it represents a possible single example of scientific fraud that proved to be such a convenient quote from the creationist point of view that it has been spread beyond all reasonable bounds (though it hardly seems far-fetched to me that the scientist may have actually said that he/she uses preconceptions about age to select approach and method instead of to select the actual data, with the point being misunderstood and misconstrued as a self-incrimination, but who knows…). While you tend to suspect that a list of wildly fluctuating and inconsistent results is representative of the actual workaday results in the field, I suspect that against the background of the actual claims made by geologists, it probably only represents a compilation of as many errors and problems and discrepancies as the compiler (likely a creationist, but possibly any such list may be taken out of context from a paper that is investigating sources of contamination) could find. While you notice that the C14 is higher than the background in many samples than it should be based on intrinsic C14 alone, you don’t automatically guess that this is something that has been noticed and carefully accounted for by scientists, and you wonder why they would refuse to face the obvious facts on this issue, whereas I quickly guess that to the contrary, they must have taken it very seriously, and that it is likely that there is a fairly comprehensive list of well-characterized extrinsic sources of C14 that explains this data. While you assume that they are basing their extrapolation of the decay of isotopes to an unreasonable extent into the past and that this is based on some kind of peripheral uniformitarian assumption that they never actually bother to criticize, I guess that they have in fact made a special effort to avoid assuming anything on that score, and that they are instead basing themselves on the difficulties involved in making any serious changes to the nuclear physics that undergird such decay rates, on the likely effects that this would have on the chemistry that the history of the earth relies upon, and on the immense statistical improbability that different methods would yield consistent dates if there were any significant change in decay rates in the past. I think there are more examples of our different reactions to the same information, but I believe this is enough.

What I can say about this list of differences is that in each case, I can tell you exactly why my reaction takes me one way, and I have some good working guesses as to why your reaction takes you in the other direction (but of course any such guesses are bound to be incomplete caricatures of your actual reasoning). In general, my specific reasons often relate to background information that you may or may not have, but they just as often depend on a strong familiarity with how scientists generally handle data, how they introduce carefully considered experimental controls, how they approach discrepancies and anomalous results, how they habitually examine the experimental setup for factors that may skew the results or bias the outcome, and how there are inbuilt mechanisms for cross-checking, controlling for variables, and reviewing results. And yes this familiarity is based on firsthand experience, not on glossy generalizations from some idealized book popularizing science. Whenever it is suggested that there may be a systematic tendency to front load the outcome, some universal blind spot that only creationists can see, or some willful resistance to the obvious, it runs so contrary to my experience and my interactions with scientists, that I unavoidably greet it with skepticism. This is perhaps a bias on my own part, but I have trouble seeing how I could avoid it while staying true to my own experience. I have never been a creationist, but I have read much that they have written and discussed a great deal with some of them, and I am certainly sympathetic to a certain degree with the creationist point of view. On the whole, I find that creationist literature habitually presents information somewhat selectively, very rarely giving any insight on what the evolutionary response may be to some posed problem, and generally giving the subtle impression that they don’t actually have any response; that they are simply and wantonly avoiding the problem. From this point of view, it seems normal that scientists would be stubbornly avoiding difficulties like a higher C14 background than expected. I don’t know whether or not you are familiar with this cultivated culture of suspicion toward a large part of the scientific community, but I’ll admit that this is the impression that I have. Because we start from these different backgrounds and are conditioned in different ways, we are likely to always start on either side of any question in the debate, and while I think you are probably fairly reasonable on the whole, this difference in approach makes it more difficult to resolve any given point easily. Coming from this perspective, I would of course suggest that the remedy should be that you seriously investigate the evolutionary viewpoint without the benefit of letting creationist sources guide the tour, if only in order to see if you begin to develop a greater trust in the integrity of their approach to the data (though this would admittedly take a long time and involve reading a great deal of primary literature), but this is just a biased suggestion from an already convinced advocate, so you may find that it is a bad idea.

Again, my apologies for not directly addressing much of your last post, but I honestly think that this is a better discussion to have, and I am of course willing to go back to any of the points that you consider to be important.

1 Like

ace, you said that i did not show any evidence for a young earth but this is not true. you even agree that most of the stalactites are young. so stalactites give us a good evidence for a young earth. i also give evidence from human population that show not more then 10000 years and no one disprove this claim yet…

you said:

"“That’s not an estimate. You’re still using that word incorrectly. That’s inductive logic… We use inductive logic in most scientific fields.”-

not realy. you assume that those 2 point was true for milions of years. but its only assumption. not a fact

“In the case of a zircon crystal, it would be kind of hard for lead to creep into it give that it’s a crystal.”-

but we actually find that the amount of helium in zircon are too much for bilions of years. and i also find that lead can be found before the formation of the crystal.

"Can you do that? It would take just a single old stalactite for your argument fail and "-

how you can want to test it?

Dcscccc,

“i claim that just from the formation of the earth- we have all kinds of layers. so lets say that one layer is form. it was the most older one. after this the second layer is from (less old because is origin was from the above layers) and so on. do you think its possible?”

I’m afraid I’m finding you more and more difficult to understand. Yes, layers do form sequentially. That said, I really think you’re stuck. Every scenario you seem to want to suggest ends up failing to account for the evidence, while completely ignoring the need for a theoretical framework. If you lay down and heat the layers before there is any living thing, then you can’t explain how any of the fossils get into the layers, you can’t explain why the layers are heated to different degrees, you can’t explain why the isotopes whose rates aren’t susceptible to heat still seem old when dated, you can’t explain why the earth was not destroyed or the layers melted together by such heating, you can’t explain why there weren’t any layers deposited during or since the flood according to your model, and you are completely at odds with all other creationists who claim that most layers come from the flood. If you agree with the creationists that the flood deposited most layers, you can’t explain why the extreme heat didn’t vaporize the flood waters, you can’t explain how it didn’t kill all life on earth and destroy the ark, you still can’t explain why non-heat susceptible isotopes yield old dates, and you can’t explain where the heat came from in the first place. If you claim that the heating occurred before the formation of the earth or the geologic column, you completely remove the whole purpose of invoking the heat in the first place, since it can no longer explain the pattern of dates obtained from the rock layers. Basically, it is a completely hopeless effort on your part, and most people would have seen how absurd it was and given up a long time ago. But not you I guess.

““if you have two radioactive isotopes, one is affected by heat and the other is not, then if there is NO extreme heat and a short time frame, both would appear young”-
you right. do you have some different methods that show the same age as the other?”

You already provided references for the few rates that are heat dependent. Great, now start with these, and compare them with the much longer list of methods that have been used to date the age of the earth (just look up age of the earth, and you should learn what strategies were used and which parent isotopes and and decay products were used). The ones listed in the second case that are not found in the first will establish that the heating theory is untenable. I don’t want to do your homework for you, so I leave it in your hands.

bren,

"If you lay down and heat the layers before there is any living thing, then you can’t explain how any of the fossils get into the layers, "-

its not what im saying. i mean that even after the layer lay down, it was an old layer just from the starting point.

"you can’t explain why the layers are heated to different degrees, "-

again: the above layers get less heat (high place). and the bottom get more.

“You already provided references for the few rates that are heat dependent.”-

where? are you talking about c14?

" I don’t want to do your homework for you, so I leave it in your hands."-

ok. lets agree that we doesnt agree. by the way- i doesnt have any problem with an old earth. i just say that we dont know what is the real age of the erath.

Dcscccc,

“its not what im saying. i mean that even after the layer lay down, it was an old layer just from the starting point.”

The point was that I couldn’t really tell what you were saying, and this last sentence does not clarify it for me. Because I couldn’t (and still can’t) tell, I decided to work through every option you have and explain why each one is impossible. If the above sentence indicates that you have selected one of the options, then great, that’s good news, but I’m afraid that your choosing it doesn’t somehow make it less impossible.

“again: the above layers get less heat (high place). and the bottom get more.”

(a) That isn’t an explanation; why should there be an intense heat gradient with marked changes every few meters within the earth’s crust? Where does the heat come from? It needs to have started when the layers begin to be deposited during the flood and then dropped off quickly, since otherwise you have at least 1000 years of accelerated decay before the flood, and even with the earth being entirely made up of the unstable parent isotopes for a number of methods, this is not mathematically possible given the remaining quantities of these isotopes (these are fairly straightforward calculations). How did such unexplained heat radiate away so quickly and without effect? How did it fail to melt together all of the layers? How did it fail to destroy all life and/or vaporize the flood? You’ll notice that these aren’t minor side issues that you can just ignore, they simply ruin the whole proposal.
(b) It can’t work anyway, even as a wild, unworkable and unfounded conjecture, since different layers in the geologic column are found at different heights depending where you are on the earth (all layers shifted up or down by a significant extent from one place to another, while retaining same relative order), yet the apparent age of the layers do not correlate with the height (the same layer still ends up looking like it comes from the same period when dated, no matter how high up it is found), so it again completely fails to account for the data even if you found a mechanism for it, which you didn’t even try to do.
© This completely fails to account for the points I made in the last comment. For example, why on earth would this heat gradient affect isotopes that are not affected by heat? I know it takes time to respond to multiple points and I understand that it is not an easy task that you have set for yourself, but it is simply not enough to send a token answer that fails to account in any substantial way to the arguments being made.

“where? are you talking about c14?”

No, I was alluding to the references that list the few isotopes that are susceptible to accelerated decay when submitted to extreme heat (for known reasons). Hopefully this helps you to do the background research and satisfies you as to the problems your position faces.

“ok. lets agree that we doesnt agree. by the way- i doesnt have any problem with an old earth. i just say that we dont know what is the real age of the erath.”

I can’t understand how “let’s agree to disagree” could possibly be the message that you take home from this discussion. Hanging on for dear life to a hypothesis that is riddled with self-evident contradictions is not a praiseworthy example of perseverance, and when the only objections you have to the dates that we get prove to be completely unworkable, the reasonable default position is not to continue to disagree anyway without any justification, it is to make changes to your position or at least to admit that your preconceptions won’t allow you to accept any changes to your views (as a technical euphemism I guess it would be a “presuppositional’ refusal). I’m glad to hear you mention that are open to an old earth, but this statement baffles me, since you seem willing to do or say anything at all, no matter how fanciful, to avoid just such a conclusion, so this gives the impression that you are very motivated to maintain a young earth at all costs. I guess one alternative is that you perhaps see the act of selecting your position beforehand and then repeatedly providing loose and unanalyzed conjectures in support of it as being a part of how science is really practiced. Either way, this is just my impression, and I must, of course, take your openness at face value.

Very well stated, @jstump!

The word that came to my mind when I read the Young Earth Creationist standard arguments is: consilience.

Of course, consilience is that “explains the most data” basis that you aptly explain. When I was a “creation science” speaker/debater, I got in the bad habit of “look for even the tiniest, most irrelevant anomaly and ignore the other 99.99% of all evidence.” Of course, at the time I didn’t think of it that way, but after overdosing on that strategy from Drs. Gish and Morris, I finally couldn’t handle it any more. Admittedly, I feel quite embarrassed about it to this day. But I was young and naive back in the 1962. (That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!)

I must admit, when I first saw the words “in plasma temp”, I thought you were making a joke (as in posting a parody of a young earth argument.) Of course one could be likely to find a breakdown of radiometric methods when the heat is so high that the integrity of the atom falls apart and enters the plasma state. That’s like saying that you know that car odometer’s are unreliable because you put your car up on blocks and put the vehicle in forward gear–and the odometer soon read many miles despite standing still the whole time!

Perhaps you actually are having fun with the topic…and so I may very well be looking silly about now for being slow to catch on. Whatever the case, that is an outstanding example of the kinds of weak arguments I was guilty of years ago when I championed some of the standard “creation science” arguments I learned from Morris and Whitcomb’s The Genesis Flood. (I fully admit that I was very gullible early in my career.)

@dcscccc, wouldn’t we expect radioisotopes to decay more rapidly at plasma-level temperatures?

I’m not a physicist, but I would certainly think that an atom which is losing its “structural integrity” [my amateurish term for it] as it changes into a plasma state thereby sort of “decay” by definition?

I felt almost nostalgic while reading through the interesting exchanges on this page–because I saw many of the young earth arguments I once used years ago. I find it amazing that YEC websites I still using these failed arguments three generations later!

The “snail shell erroneously tested very old” argument even found its way into a Chick Tract. When I investigated these bogus arguments while finding my way out of the “creation science” movement, I discovered that scientific journals were explaining the problems with carbon dating of mollusk shells long ago. Basically, the radiometric dating does work, in a way: you are dating the carbonates from the rock formation that eroded and dissolved in the water and got absorbed by the organism for building its shell! As a result, labs know that mollusk shells aren’t going to yield a date for when the mollusk died but a date for the rock formation. Everybody knows that and operates accordingly–just as odometers don’t work well if you jack up the car and rest it on concrete blocks in mid-air.

I also feel nostalgic in that the vain attempts to support and defend young earth arguments which failed a half century ago remind me of when I was still teaching and there would always be undergrads at my office hour after a major exam, each ready to argue endlessly for why their wrong answer deserved at least partial credit. After a while I would have to set a time limit and simply declare: “Your answer was wrong when you wrote and it is still wrong today and it won’t be any less wrong tomorrow.”

hi bren. i actually talk about claim a. i think that the heat origin was from the core of the earth when its form, so because of this we get after the heat a layers with different ages just from the starting point. after that i think it may be easy to get what we see today.

" I was alluding to the references that list the few isotopes that are susceptible to accelerated decay when submitted to extreme heat"-

can you give a specific example|? thanks.

Dcscccc, that is not a serious response, so I would appreciate it if you would try again, actually addressing the points that were made. Thanks.

i also provied evidences for a young earth. and no one disprove it yet.