A theological-biological explanation of “the original sin’s transmission”

So did Christ – and He entered already slain before the foundation of the world.

Antoine is arguing that causation in terms of eternity cannot be forced to adhere to causation in terms of a linear temporal progression; you’re trying to make eternity bound by temporal progression. But that Christ was slain before the foundation of the world, and that He is firstborn over all Creation, both indicate that time is not definitive when it comes to God.

That verse is incorrectly interpreted quite frequently, getting the relationship between the last clause and the preceding wrong. To illustrate: I was driving along the road yesterday and talking to my dog, and I at one point said, “The tide is really far in, because the river is almost to the road”. My second clause there is not causative, it is explanatory, meaning “Because I see that the river is almost to the road shows me that the tide is really far in, because it takes the tide being really high for the water to get that close to the road”. So also the above verse: it isn’t saying that all men’s sins are the cause of death being passed to all men, it’s saying that just as the water being close to the road was evidence that the tide was in so all men sinning is evidence that death has been passed to all men.
[Darned puppy anyway – he needed attention and now I can’t remember the point that was leading to. Oh, well, maybe it will come back to me.]

That’s an interesting one because the assertion that “God is not omnipotent” is correct if “omnipotent” is meant in the sloppy pop-version of the philosophical definition, i.e. that God is capable of doing whatever thing someone might dream up. The Greek term Pantokrator is less misleading, but in the theological sense both terms are intended to mean that whatever power that exists is God’s. So while “He can do anything He wants” is the sloppy pop version, the real meaning behind “all powerful” is that even the energy used by my fingers to type these words is God’s; as Martin Luther put it once, God is the One Who is energizing every motion/action/thought that exists.

What’s the point there? That God is indeed in one way responsible for sin because He is the One supplying the energy that underlies the temptation and the willing and the action. Thus given that the universe which He created came to contain sin, God was providing the energy for (the possibility of) sin right from the beginning. That’s a scary idea, but it follows from God being the Pantokrator, the “All-Ruler”, the One to whom all power belongs and from Whom all power proceeds.

We tend to take that as limited according to the linear flow of time. Antoine is arguing that from the point of eternity, sin that occurred later than the temporal beginning nevertheless impacted the entire Creation from start to finish. It’s not that shocking a view given that it was the Blood of Christ which served as the foundation for the sacrificial system of the Mosaic Law.

Not just YECism! I heard the phrase “Jesus was never Plan B” from an Orthodox Church in America lecturer just this week! From his explanation that isn’t even a possible thought in Eastern Christology which operates on the principle that if you’re not talking about the one Person of the Incarnate Word you’re not really doing theology – and a universe where it was possible that Jesus “wouldn’t have to die” excludes the Incarnate Word since by definition we are told that the Incarnate Word was and is the Lamb slain before the foundation of the world.

Heh – I knew some rabbis and a couple of E. Orthodox priests who would dispute that. They all essentially adhered to the idea brought up by C. S. Lewis that those animals which are in whatever way connected to us are part of us, so that our Resurrection necessitates theirs.

1 Like

Not mine in the least, it’s been the definition for a good nineteen centuries.

Interesting to see that you admit that there is no reason for you to even be here with this discussion since you have no interest in anything others say, just in setting out your own biased views without evidence or defense other than your opinion.

Since you clearly have no interest in listening to the Bible, I’m not going to bother to go into the original languages and show that your statement here is wrong. I’ll leave it at this: the meaning of the word “power” in English is not only not the same as it is in either Hebrew or Greek, it is used to translate several different original-language words in ways that mess up the meaning of the texts.

That’s pure opinion. It isn’t logically necessary as there are perfectly viable definitions that don’t require it.

Basically all this is you saying, “I’m right! I’m right! I don’t care what you say!”

You pretend to give import to Jesus when you aren’t even talking about the same God: the God of the Bible is explicitly the Creator of the Deceiver, so by definition the Deceiver doesn’t even rise to the status of being an opponent, only an instrument.

No, it isn’t the same at all: you are propounding (to go Plato on this) that evil is a substance distinct from good; I am propounding that there is no substance to evil at all, that it is a mere accident on the face of good.

My brother in Christ YOU ARE TALKING TO A GREEK.

That debate you are looking for won’t be good for your view. But if you want it I will debate it.

Uhmmm issnt anyone here defending their opinions? Nothing wrong with that

Go on and list them then. Tell me your opinion. Although it won’t change mine I’m open to hear yours unlike you that came in hot looking for fight. Typical Christian Fanaticism right there. God bless

You don’t make any sense with that. Are you referring to the Manichaeism belief? You didn’t give any context

A “little accident”. Okay I got nothing to say on this.

Sorry, I didn’t see the “Private Message” label – on my computer screen this is an open discussion under the topic of “Faith and Science Conversation”, specifically labeled “A theological-biological explanation of ‘the original sin’s transmission’”.

And since the topic was introduced as being within the parameters of scripture, but you only pay attention to scripture when it serves your purposes, maybe the problem here is that you didn’t start your own discussion within your preferred parameters.

But here’s the thing about public fora: they’re PUBLIC. That means every post you make is an invitation to anyone who comes along to comment on. When you butt in with your own unfounded bias and with no respect for the parameters of the discussion, you have no room to complain when someone who recognizes the parameters as established by the opening message comes along and disputes your assertion on the basis of those parameters.

So? In my experience those who speak modern Greek have to unlearn a lot because ancient Greek is substantially different. I may as well say to a German who is a scholar in early English, “You’re talking to an English-speaker!” – when he could counter by asking me to read this:

Fæder ure þu þe eart on heofonum; Si þin nama gehalgod
to becume þin rice gewurþe ðin willa on eorðan swa swa on heofonum.
urne gedæghwamlican hlaf syle us todæg and forgyf us ure gyltas
swa swa we forgyfað urum gyltendum and ne gelæd þu us on costnunge ac alys us of yfele soþlice

I note that others are presenting biblical and other sources; so far, all I’ve seen from your posts is anti-biblically biased opinion.

You’ve read other options – this pretense of being willing to listen is a farce since to make it you have to act like you haven’t been reading this thread.

“Looking for a fight?” Yeah, kind of like if I walked into my favorite bar and someone was pissing on the floor: this thread started with the scriptures as a parameter and you waltzed in and set your opinion above the scriptures.

The context is what’s above it.

Plato, Aristotle. And “mere” is not “little”, it is “nothing more than”, e.g. C. S. Lewis “Mere Christianity”.

Greek is a unique language though. Even if I don’t master it or something I can understand a lot of ancient words. I’ve studied ancient greek for 4 years at school. It was mandatory. So I have some basic knowledge I would like to credit myself

Where though? I think it’s quite biblical. The subjects I’m touching upon have no verse for or against them. So my opinion can only be defended by logic and (sometimes) scriptures. I haven’t said anything anti biblical

However the same tactic was used by the early Christians to call others “heretics” even though the latter had support for their opinion.

But yeah because the minority doesn’t agree let’s just oust them away. What a Christian loving behaviour you “orthodox” got.

You’d be surprised how many orthodox call Catholics and other denominations heretics . And vice versa.

No one responded in my comments above expect 2 people and you.

So there’s not much to read on my behalf

I never made any claim my opinion is above scripture. But go ahead I don’t mind

You have attributed evil to be an accident.

I could open a debate on this although I don’t know if it’s worth it. Will consider since you don’t seem to understand the weigh your view on that holds on God’s character.

If God makes “accidents” then God helps us . I don’t know how else to phrase it. You are dooming your own God with these views.

No - you were correct: this is not a private message; it is very much a public conversation. It may well be that Nick was addressing somebody in particular and wanted a reply back only from them - only he can speak to that. But meanwhile … Pastor Suarez’s thread here is public.

I just find it rude for people to “speak for others”. It’s like me having a conversation in real life and someone jumps in to the topic answering for the other person . I just think it’s rude and disrespectful.
I never intended to be rude that’s why I deleted my comment (because I wrote it upon the heat).
I have nothing with @St.Roymond and I even encouraged him to speak his mind freely.

that is not biblical…where do you get theological references that support that claim?

The bible very specifically states the complete opposite of your claim here.

For one, the bible states

“the wages of sin is death” Romans 6:23 (the apostle Paul wrote this)

It appears to be twisting the wording of the text to the reverse!

perhaps i might be missing the complete understanding of your point. Could it be that you are referring to the biblical theology that makes the claim that because Adam sinned, we are all guilty and sinful? In that way the biological nature is passed on from one to another. But this is different from the idea that death causes us to sin. Both physical and spiritual death are the consequence of sin. Christ died a physical and spiritual death on the cross (he did not die just spiritually). Also, the second coming of Christ is a physical event…he physically comes in the clouds of heaven and we are gathered up into the air to meet him.

When we study the sanctuary service in the Old Testament, we find that there is both a physical and a spiritual aspect to that service (i wont go into depth on what they are, Christians who are taught about the Sanctuary should already be familiar with them).

Good grief. Do you even have a clue about “substance” and “accidents”? This is very basic philosophy.

Is there a plague of inability to read with comprehension???

Here’s what I said:

Taking me out of context is dishonest.

But since you did, Paul states this – you quoted it, and I commented:

Right here, you deny three plain biblical teachings:

The scriptures plainly say that nothing is hidden from God, that He knows all things, and that His knowledge is perfect.

He is flat-out called “Pantokrator”, “All-ruler”, the One who holds all power that there is, that with Him all things are possible, and that His will cannot be thwarted.

He is said to fill every place, that He fills the heavens and the earth, and that there is no place where one can hide from Him.

That’s a great explanation, and it’s helpful for me with something which has been a little fuzzy.

As I’m jumping in the thread now, but it’s something I discussed briefly with @AntoineSuarez in the previous thread which he may hold a record for with its duration, please excuse me.

This death that has passed to all men, I have considered to be the rational possibility of solipsism. And I’m not sure how it fits into the passage, but it is also our sin that makes us appear unreal to one another.

1 Like

The scriptures also said hundreds of dead people rose and went into the city,that God killed many,and that Adam and Eve existed.

They also state Herod killed unborns ,that Satan changed God’s mind(people too) and that a mere mortal Jacob wrestled with God himself(Christophany)

Go figure

What I’m implying here is that everything you’ve read is man made. All these verses you pointed are written by men. Period. The holy spirit coming down on them inspiring is Christian propaganda bs. As I’ve said before theres nothing "unbiblical"in what I’ve said. These are scriptures and everyone has their interpretation.

A YEC would accuse an EC for “unbiblical ,teaching” yet you got no problems with it .
It’s similar here

Here Paul’s quotation in context:

2 Corinthians 12:3-10

3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— 4 was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell. 5 I will boast about a man like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses. 6 Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say, 7 or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

I think this text can be interpreted as meaning both: physical affliction (suffering) as you point out, and the “thorn” of the triple concupiscence: “the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life” (1 John 2:16).

God’s creation, as we know it, is submitted to decay since the Big Bang, and ruled by selfish tendencies since the beginning of life. And these features lead to suffering and concupiscence when it comes to human beings ordered to eternal life.

What Paul teaches to us is that this state of affairs is wanted by God in order we experience our weakness and realize that we need Christ’s grace to reach eternal happiness.

From the very beginning God creates the world taking account of the two possible options: Humans do sin and humans do NOT sin, and creates a world that fits both cases:

On the one hand, God creates the universe since the Big Bang as we know it (i.e.: submitted to decay and selfish tendencies), since in case of sin it is advantageous to motivate us sinners to repent and convert.

On the other hand, God creates the first human beings in the image of God (during the Neolithic, according to my explanation) in the state of “original justice”, neither submitted to suffering, nor death, nor concupiscence.

So, in the beginning humans were perfectly free to acknowledge God’s commandment without any sinful inclination of the flesh God formed man from. And once they sinned, they lost the original grace and remained submitted to suffering, death, and concupiscence, i.e.: in “the state of original sin”.

In conclusion, the motivation for the state of original sin is theological, but the mechanism of its transmission is a biological one.

Thanks St.Roymond for this fitting comment.

On the one hand, in creating the world, God takes into account the possibility that we humans sin.

But a world submitted to decay and to the laws of life and death is fitting for sinners to live in, as it contributes to move us to convert. Indeed, such an environment helps us sinners to feel our weakness and the need of God’s grace to reach eternal happiness.

Consequently, God creates since the Big Bang a world submitted to decay, and later life submitted to the Darwinian mechanisms of death and selfish behavior, in case we sin. The same way, God decides “before the foundation of the world” that his Son becomes slain for us sinners (see Revelation 13:8) in case we sin.

On the other hand, God orders humankind to eternal happiness, and wants humans to be completely free in deciding to love him and adhering God’s commandments. Therefore, God cannot submit humans to a temptation encoded in the flesh God forms humans from before the arrival of sin. Accordingly, God makes the first humans in the image of God in the Neolithic in a state of original holiness, without being submitted to suffering, death, and concupiscence.

The two possible worlds (with sin and without sin) are present in the mind of God, and God has a plan for each possibility “before the foundation of the world”, as you very well point out.

Notice that without the perspective of eternal happiness nothing is actually real, all is ephemeral. Therefore, before God creates humankind in the image of God you can consider that the world and animal life are merely virtual, not actually real.

This means that death is not properly death before the first human sin: Death truly entered the world through sin.

Amen.

I think that could we look in an existential mirror and see ourselves as we would be without sin we would think we were beholding gods… and that, having had that vision, if we turned around and saw ourselves in that mirror as we really are, we would think we were looking at demons.

As we are in sin, the second vision would be much closer to the truth. And as a science fiction writer put it, we spend something like two thirds of our mental capacity justifying ourselves so we can avoid seeing ourselves as we really are – so if we cannot (and will not) see our own selves as we really are, how much less can we even see others as real, as we are spending so much effort to avoid looking at reality!

Sin is a spiritual issue, so saying it’s transmitted biologically is mixing the realms. Death is what is transmitted biologically, and death means we are not able to not sin since death leaves us deficient. I suppose in a roundabout way one could say that ultimately this means that sin is transmitted biologically.
But this sort of reasoning leads to bizarre ideas such that Mary had to be born without sin, and her mother as well, on backwards to have a pure receptacle for the initial point of the Incarnation . . . or that at the very least God changed Mary’s DNA at some point (Christologically speaking it would have been the moment that the Incarnation began in her womb).

I don’t think “in case” works here given divine foreknowledge.

A syllogism or two:

a. The Word is God.
b. Jesus is the Word made flesh.
C: Jesus is God.

a. Jesus was “the firstborn of all Creation” once He was in the flesh.
b. God is not subject to change.
c. Thus the Word becoming incarnate did not constitute a change in the Word.

This leads to the conclusion that even in eternity, one of the attributes, if you will, of the eternal Word was that He had at least the potential to be “enmaterialed”, i.e. to take on a material aspect to His being. And then the statement that He is “the Lamb slain from before the foundation of the world” strongly suggests that He already had taken material form prior to “Light! BE!” And it also means that there was never a possibility that we humans wouldn’t sin – as it is said, Jesus was not “Plan B”.

1 Like

Notice that I am not saying that “sin is transmitted biologically”!

What I say is that the state of original sin is transmitted biologically.

Sin, in the sense of “personal fault”, is not transmitted at all, neither biologically nor spiritually: None is guilty of the sinful act perpetrated by another person!

By contrast, the state of original sin is biologically transmitted because the state of decay and the Darwinian mechanisms of life and death are transmitted encoded in the Homo sapiens DNA. And in human beings ordered to eternal life this transmission, in absence of original grace, brings about suffering, death, and concupiscence. Accordingly, you can say that the state of original sin becomes transmitted concomitantly to biological reproduction, although not because reproduction or sexuality is sinful, but because thereby the genome’s transmission happens.

As I have already said, before God created human beings in the image of God, death cannot actually be considered death, as it has no significance regarding eternal happiness. Death is really and properly death only after the first sin in human history. Nonetheless I think that in spite of death and concupiscence, we remain free to not sin, though certainly deficient and inclined to sin:
Concupiscence originates in (the first human) sin, and inclines us to sin, but in itself it is not sin.

I’m not sure how that differs from saying that death is transmitted,

1 Like