A The Gospel Coalition Article on Contempt, and Conversing with Those who Tend that Way

The Silent Sin That Kills Christian Love (thegospelcoalition.org)

The article discusses how contempt for others violates commands to love our neighbors, and reminded me further of the question that has often come to my mind “What can I talk with some of the people I know (mostly at church) about, given that sports holds relatively little interest for me?” The primary conversation topics that come up seem to be current events, politics, sports, and the bad theology, or musical choices, or whatever, of other groups.

7 Likes

It’s something I struggle with, failing too often. There is such a thing as righteous anger, but nursing it is not and it easily turns into contempt.

Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger.
Ephesians 4:26

(I’ve never read any Trevin Wax that I haven’t liked. :+1:)

Thanks for bravely sharing this article, Timothy. It’s an important tool for checking our perspective. For ALL of us, including me. It’s easy to simply be sick of and disgusted with everyone who thinks and values differently than we do. The kind of love that we are called to exhibit is not natural, and really hard. So thanks for the reminder.

For those of us who reside in one provence of Geekdom or another, it’s really easy to feel disconnected. Some things you will probably find common ground on are good books. A lot of conservative Christians enjoy books that you might also enjoy and some are willing to read a bit more broadly than say, Lewis, Tolkien and Amish “bonnet rippers.” Church history, good biographies, History history, etc. There’s a lot. Good books can lead to good discussions.
I’m trying to think of a few things I read around your age. One I think was particularly valuable was Gary Friesen’s “Decision Making and the Will of God.” There are no fleeces to be found in that book. Or if there are, they are quickly dismissed. It would fit well with your theological background and would be a super book to discuss with friends.
A book that might seem like a huge reach is “The Gospel Comes with A House Key” by Rosaria Butterfield. You will soon be in college, and it was a time, surprisingly, that I was able to practice hospitality more easily than now. Maybe the bar was just set lower, but things were simpler, too. We were all single with no kids. This could be a great book to talk about with college friends, or older folks who have already been to college. Find out ways to make connections with people, even if it’s completely different from Butterfield’s ideas.

Which brings me to another completely different topic: You know how to cook? You’re going to have to do it eventually. Invite some non-cooking friends to the ultimate challange, and cook for your families. There will be plenty to laugh about later.

Got friends who like art, maybe you can work together on art or design made from some of your photos.

It’s hard work to make connections with people. Now is a good time to try things and learn. Often it takes leadership we didn’t expect to have to exercise.

3 Likes

Yes, I do (decently, if not spectacularly). We have a box full of extra cooking utensils that I will get when I move out.

That’s a decent idea, off the top of my head I am aware of several that I see pretty frequently.

1 Like

I second this.

It is often said that university (US read: college) students have the most free time than at any point in their pre-retirement adult lives, but often perceive themselves as having the least. It seemed like a doddle to be hospitable when I was in Uni or as a newlywed. Now it feels like a military campaign that requires six months of planning and a budget report from the IMF!

3 Likes

Where have the days go since , "Hey! I’m going to try to make this new dish. Want to try eating it with me, and while we do, let’s see what fundamental questions of humanity we can figure out. Oh, by the way, do you have a sauce pan you can bring, too? I forgot I need one "

2 Likes

Cooking and talking and eating with friends or soon-to-be friends is a great way to connect. Different but great.

doddle (US read: cinch, snap ; - )

1 Like

“Well, that didn’t work. Who’s up for ordering pizza?”

6 months later…

“Mate, can I have my saucepan back now?” “What saucepan?”

Good times :joy:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.