Poor Adam and Eve ... They always take it on the chin ... being blamed for the troubles of billions of human lives... and their pets, and even distant cousins on the tree of common descent.
So let's look at their perfidy very closely:
1) God says: Don't touch the fruit of the Tree of Good and Evil - or you'll die.
2) Adam says: "God it" < Hey, Father, see what I did there? Pretty clever for someone who is just a few days old, right?
3) God forces a smile, and then goes to check on the tomatoes.
4) Later, after Eve shows up, a voice and a hand from a tree says to Eve, you know there's nothing dangerous about this fruit.
5) Eve sees that the person holding the fruit is not dead, or even sick.
6) Eve starts to question what exactly were those words... If the Serpent with the hands and feet takes a bite out of his own fruit, Eve is really going to be confused. The snake still breathes. He's not choking. He's not dying.
7) So Eve, thinking she is mistaken, takes a bite. And so she concludes she was mistaken!
8) She runs to show Adam.
9) Adam is stunned.... there is Eve with 2 pieces of fruit. The fruit she shouldn't touch. But she's not dead. She's not even sniffling.
10) Then Adam sees her taking a bite from one of the fruit.... and she's not gagging or collapsing.
11) Eve says we must have been wrong about what The Big Guy said. Adam can only think that he got the whole story wrong.
12) He puts the fruit in his hand. No wave of nausea. Then he takes a bite. And he is still alive.
13) And then like a pretty wild night during the hippie days, suddenly, Adam sees Eve without any clothes. And Eve sees Adam without any clothes! They both agree they must have been mugged!
14) Well, you guessed what happened next. God is in a pretty bad mood because the wolves were at the tomatoes again. And now he sees Adam and Eve wearing fig leaves like a bad tie dye concept!
15) God says, "That settles it ... you two... get off my lawn!"
16) Adam and Eve are relieved that they weren't going to die that day. In fact, it's a good thing there wasn't a 401k plan involved, because Adam and Eve, cursed with death, live for centuries longer!
17) However, all their pets keep dying over and over.... and the cow, Guyvette de Bretville, she was dead in some 20 years.... Eve missed her considerably.
So.... for whatever reason... God warned Adam about the curse of death, and by they time they actually die, they can barely remember what the question was!
Could they still have immortality? Absolutely - - if God would allow them to eat from the Tree of Life. It's not like eating from the Tree of Good and Evil made the Tree of Life poisonous to them. Far from it. Eating from the Tree of Life would have done them a world of good.
But God is complex. And to this day, Adam can't really explain to his Grand kids and his Great Great Great grand kids what God was all worked up about.